Gettin the Tbird ready for summer

Inspiribomb

Enjoy the journey
This past weekend was spent getting my 1987 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe ready for summer. I got my NOS foglights installed, as well as the new sunroof gasket, which should make the cabin much quieter now.

Also, although many people recommended NOT doing so, we (my step dad, step bro and myself) ripped out the entire AC system. There was no refrigerant left in the system, so I figured it might as well come out. Compressor assembly, evaporator - basically everything ahead of the firewall. Not only did I eliminate rotating mass, I also shed about 60 pounds.

In addition to this, I cleaned the entire car. Rims are free of break dust (yuck) and look like new, washed the car, vacuumed the interior. I also put in my billet aluminum shift knob that I machined :tresbon:

I still have a bunch to do before its ready for summer - plugs, wires, distributor cap and rotor, belts, hoses, fluids, full synthetic oil, etc. But, when its done, it'll be good to go for quite some time.

As far as modifications go, I have kept it *mostly* stock, but I am probably going to be purchasing a big front-mount intercooler for it (stock is way too small). A high-flow exhaust system is also in order in the near future. I can't wait to get out and start chasing those 'stangs around :thmbsp:

Last edited:
Wanna race? :thmbsp:

gphoodsmall5sa.jpg

gpjetta8gz.jpg

Although GTP's have never been tough to beat in the past, yours looks like no ordinary Grand Prix. What exactly have you done to that thing? Obviously the K&N (which I also need to do). I'm also looking into various aftermarket short-throw shifters. Right now MGW's one for the Mustang/T5 tranny is looking/sounding good.

PS - My goal is to get this car to run 13's.

Last edited:
Hmmmm...Wonder if there's any way to drop the 6.8 L V-10 from the Valdez into a Mustang or T-Bird...Talk about a Street Fightin' Rat..

Inspiribomb said:
Although GTP's have never been tough to beat in the past, yours looks like no ordinary Grand Prix. What exactly have you done to that thing? Obviously the K&N (which I also need to do). I'm also looking into various aftermarket short-throw shifters. Right now MGW's one for the Mustang/T5 tranny is looking/sounding good.

PS - My goal is to get this car to run 13's.

Don't know what kinda GTP's you've been racing, but the 97'-03's will run 14.8 stock if you know how to drive one. I've never seen a Thunderchicken stock running in the 14's. :no: 3800 lbs and 190hp :no:

I'm currently running 300hp and high 13's trapping about 99-100mph. :thmbsp:

The highly modded ones are running 11's on the motor. :yes:

0-60 1/4 mile

1983 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 9.7 17.1
1987 Ford Thunderbird Turbo Coupe 8.5 16.3

The 89' Supercoupe (basically the same blower as the GTP) would run a 14.9 with a good driver. The turbo's were slow.

Last edited:

Attachments

• Nova 1.jpg
    Nova 1.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 99
  • Nova 2.jpg
    Nova 2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 130
SPL db said:
Okay.. I'm in! :thmbsp:

Scott

ok, top end and you're on :yes:

:beerchug: to the Nova

My first car was a 1970 Nova SS. Blew the 396 4-speed and dropped in an LT-1 small block and a TH400. 12.86@113 was my best time. Damn I miss that car. :tears:

good luck on 13's with a 3800 lb 4 cylinder

There are guys hitting 12's with em. It takes work, but its possible. And I believe its 3400#, not 3800#. I realize this isn't the best/fastest car out there, but you should see the look on people's faces when they see this big-ass car get up and move. For a big car, it hauls! Anyways, the point of this thread was to talk about what I've done and am going to do to the car I love, not argue over what it can/can't do.

Last edited:
Inspiribomb said:
There are guys hitting 12's with em. It takes work, but its possible. And I believe its 3400#, not 3800#. I realize this isn't the best/fastest car out there, but you should see the look on people's faces when they see this big-ass car get up and move. For a big car, it hauls!

Stock they rolled of the line at 3800lbs. And unless you're talking about a HUGE turbo and FMIC, cam, upgraded injectors, etc., etc., it's gonna be tough.

and I understand your delight in surprising people. I drive a 3400lb FWD grocery getter that is completley sleeper on the outside. No badges, stock exhaust tips, etc. BMW's and Mustang's just can't live with themselves after a run in. Now the modded LS1 boys, well I can hang with them until about 60 and then I'm done. I need headers and they are $700.00 for our cars. :tears:

MitsuMan said:
ok, top end and you're on :yes:

:beerchug: to the Nova

My first car was a 1970 Nova SS. Blew the 396 4-speed and dropped in an LT-1 small block and a TH400. 12.86@113 was my best time. Damn I miss that car. :tears:

That one is a good friend of mine's car... mine's in pieces as I started a full blown resto on it then got married, had kids, etc...

Sadly, mine sits in a storage unit waiting for "someday"! :tears:

Scott

Heading home to work on the car today. I'll be doing most everything except the fluids/hoses. I'm bringing my camera and will post pics of it tonight :tresbon:

SandyG said:
Hmmmm...Wonder if there's anyway to drop the 6.8 L V-10 from the Valdez into a Mustang or T-Bird...Talk about a Street Fightin' Rat..

Been done before, both on the newer ones and Fox bodies, and I think there are some conversion kits being developed now to make it easier, because it takes a helluva lot of fabrication at this point. If you wanna drop a 6.8 in something, though, you gotta do it to a Crown Vic-- now there's a sleeper...

But here I go giving you more ideas...

My old Merkur would run 14s, or so I'm told. I never took it to the track. It had a lot of mods on the 2.3 turbo. Rapido intercooler, Gillis boost valve, ported exhaust manifold, LA2 computer and big VAM. Some other stuff. I could never keep track of it all. Wicked fast, but something was always broken. I think they weighted in at around 2900 lbs. Still too heavy for me. My '72 Capri weights 2200. That's getting there. I want to build a Lotus 7 clone and hope to come in at 900 lbs. Ahh, that's more like it.

Take care,

Ed

Pics

Did the plugs/wires and cap/rotor today. Not as much as I would have liked to do, but I will finish the rest next weekend. Here are a few shots I snapped. The green car is my step-dad's 1978 Chevy Malibu.

Very, very, very nice! :thmbsp:

But no pictures of the engine with nice new wires? :D

Scott

If anyone here is familiar with turbocharged vehicles, working on and tuning them, shoot me a PM, I'd like to compare thoughts/ideas. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom