Getting a "POP" when turning off?

CRamsey

Hi Guys,

I just received a 2252B off eBay. It looks good and sounds great. I opened it up and can see that the bulbs have been replaced. All the controls are quiet and seem to work fine. My only concern at this point is that when I turn it off, I get a "pop" through the speakers when I release the power button. I don't recall hearing this with my other two Marantz's. I haven't "Deoxited" anything yet. Is this "pop" a sign of something I should be concered with?

Thanks, CR

I'd check the DC offset milivoltage.
Use a multimeter on mV setting and put the probes in the speaker out terminals. + in the + terminal, and - in the - terminal.
put volume on lowest setting in aux mode.
Do thit for left and right channels.
Report you findings.

More likely to be the anti-pop circuitry, but you can start by checking to see if it needs an adjustment.
Bad caps don't usually show that kind of symptom.

The relay might be stuck in the on position.
Does it make a click a couple of seconds after you turn it on?

Hi,
Been a long time since I've messed with my 2252b, but I seem to recall a resister (or capacitor) attached across the power switch terminals. Mine had come loose at one end, and reattaching it seemed to cure that problem. I'm not an electronics guy though. I am positive there are a ton of posts on that subject if you do some searches on "pop". Good luck.

Thanks for the responses. It does make a "click" a couple seconds after starting. I'm no electrician either, so I'd hardly know what I was looking at under there anyway. I just don't want to fry something unnecessarily. I'll look a little closer and see if anything is loose. I'll search as well, should've done that first.

Thanks, CR

If it uses a relay, and it appears to be opening up as it should on power-down (relay should open up immediately when power is removed), then kcollins4 is close to the issue. There's a safety cap across the power switch contacts (.01µf, 250V, X/Y rated to be connected directly to incoming 120VAC) that is there to prevent arcing of the contacts when they open or close as power is applied or removed. It may be bad (and if it is, the switch will not be long for this world).

Thanks EchoWars and everyone else. I've seen the power switch after removing the bottom cover. Is there a better way of getting to this switch?

Thanks again, Craig

Back
Top Bottom