Getting cigarette smell out of an amp

CZ4A

I recently purchased a used Fender Vibro Champ XD as my first guitar amp to go along with my first guitar. It is in very good condition and sounds great, even at "barely audible over the strings" volume. However, something I didn't notice until I got it home was that it smells of cigarettes. It gets stronger once the tubes have warmed up. I don't smoke and don't like the smell of tobacco, so I was wondering if there was a way to get the smell out more quickly than just airing it out.

Spray applied electrical contact cleaner. Years ago i bought a CD player online it had the ability to play HDCD's, man it smelled. I took it apart as best I could, sprayed everything until the liquid spoils were clear.

Take it apart and de-louse it. Remove the chassis and speaker and get the funk out!

stick the entire unit in an ultrasonic cleaner if someone local has one big enough.

Last edited:
220px-Clothespin-2459e.jpg

The issue is also not just the amplifier but also the cabinet. all that electronics fielding acts like a magnet and interior cab needs a 'spritzing' of H2o2 formula. The amp itself is questionable of how deep you want to go. Tubes, no issue removing, spritzing down the chassis and the underside? may have to take outside in sunlight to dry. note spritzing means a fine mist

"Create a deodorizing, smoke-busting cleaner by mixing 1 part 3 percent hydrogen peroxide with 1 part white distilled vinegar in a spray bottle. ... If you're dealing with years of smoke smell buildup, you may need to shampoo the upholstery first, let it dry and then apply the peroxide and vinegar solution.", http://homeguides.sfgate.com/hydrogen-peroxide-remove-smoke-odor-upholstery-106144.html

I've used h2o2 + distilled water instead of vinegar for light smoke odors as well as simply wiping isopro. alcohol on safe surfaces like metal chassis, beware of printing on metal chassis as alcohol can remove.

When I worked in Service Department at Rane Corp. we used 100% "extra strength" cleaning Ammonia to soak all the knobs and hardware. Typically 24 hours would suffice. To clean cabinets and chassis, Simple Green and Citrus Orange work well (be very careful on front panels, lettering may be damaged). Inner electronics would get washed multiple times with 10 - 20% Ammonia and distilled water solution, then rinsed multiple times with carbonated water (don't use Club Soda, it has sodium added). Carbonated water has added benefit the bubbles will agitate the sludge, tar and other deposits. Grille cloth on guitar / bass amp combos is one of the worst offenders for holding the smoke odor. Using a 5 - 10% solution of Simple Green and water usually helps deodorize grille clothe with added benefit of restoring tension to sagging threads. Clear vinegar can be substituted for Ammonia, using similar 10 - 20% mixtures with distilled water. Completely ridding a chassis of the odor can be very time consuming as cigarette tar is extremely pungent. Patience and elbow grease will serve one well. These procedures also worked well when we had to remove animal urine from units (it happened more often than one would expect). Dry everything with warm air a few times to be absolutely sure all moisture is removed, not only to reduce electrical risks, but to prevent corrosion.

I didn't think this was that popular of a topic. I should have searched. Anyways, from what I can tell my Fender amp was built in 2011, so it's had about 7 years to soak in the smooth, long-lasting flavor of lung cancer :smoke::p

When I worked in Service Department at Rane Corp. we used 100% "extra strength" cleaning Ammonia to soak all the knobs and hardware. Typically 24 hours would suffice. To clean cabinets and chassis, Simple Green and Citrus Orange work well (be very careful on front panels, lettering may be damaged). Inner electronics would get washed multiple times with 10 - 20% Ammonia and distilled water solution, then rinsed multiple times with carbonated water (don't use Club Soda, it has sodium added). Carbonated water has added benefit the bubbles will agitate the sludge, tar and other deposits. Grille cloth on guitar / bass amp combos is one of the worst offenders for holding the smoke odor. Using a 5 - 10% solution of Simple Green and water usually helps deodorize grille clothe with added benefit of restoring tension to sagging threads. Clear vinegar can be substituted for Ammonia, using similar 10 - 20% mixtures with distilled water. Completely ridding a chassis of the odor can be very time consuming as cigarette tar is extremely pungent. Patience and elbow grease will serve one well. These procedures also worked well when we had to remove animal urine from units (it happened more often than one would expect). Dry everything with warm air a few times to be absolutely sure all moisture is removed, not only to reduce electrical risks, but to prevent corrosion.

I will definitely give that method a try. Thanks!

I didn't think this was that popular of a topic. I should have searched. Anyways, from what I can tell my Fender amp was built in 2011, so it's had about 7 years to soak in the smooth, long-lasting flavor of lung cancer :smoke::p

I will definitely give that method a try. Thanks!

2011...It's a new-borne!

I wonder what all my '55 Valco has seen?

IMG_0206.JPG

Its surprising what UV can cure ...Leave it sit outside on a clear sunny day with the covers off of it for a couple days. Give it a sunbath without sunscreen.

Not to derail, but when were you at Rane? I had an endorsement in the 90s. Still have all of my gear. 99% still works flawlessly. :)

Ed

T here are several smoke bomb products out there.Car dealerships use them with great success.Put amp in small room and set off and leave for a day or hours per instructions.Kieth really doesn't look to bad for a 135 year old .:) When he finally passes away many scientists want to see how he,s made it this long .

Fill the back of it...and this includes all around the chassis...with crumpled newspaper. Leave it for a week....you'll be amazed by how much of the stink will be gone.
Also, it wouldn't hurt to take some paper towels and windex to clean the glass envelopes of the tubes.

Last edited:
Since you said: "it smells of cigarettes. It gets stronger once the tubes have warmed up"
Could it be the tubes aren't original to the amp and came from a smokier environment?
I would suggest getting some rubbing alcohol from the drugstore (look for the stronger 91% stuff) and wipe the tubes down.
Use it to wipe the chassis down too. I've used it to clean old dirty cruddy amps I got from eBay.
You'd be surprised to see the almost new looking amps I found under all that grime.
BTW, alcohol might wipe away some of the lettering on the tubes and chassis so if that is important to you try it out on inconspicuous areas first.

I keep a couple of spray bottles of Isopropyl alcohol around. Use it for cleaning my lawmower and snowblower among many other things.
Works great on spark plugs, and the best thing is, like Keyser Soze, it dissapears without a trace.

Long surgical cotton swabs and cotton balls

Chlorox Bleach

Gas mask optional.....

I’ve never known Chlorox to harm silk screen

Back
Top Bottom