getting data error on my yammie 5150 reviever

jami w.

just being me thats all
im going insane with no music.
i get only sound from left channel-
and display says data error, what would the data error mean? ive never heard nor seen that before flashing on display.

Last edited:
Have you tried any basic troubleshooting? First, I'd completely unplug the receiver. Not just power it off. Leave it unplugged for 30 seconds or more. This might reset a glitch.

Next, try a different source, different cables, swapping speaker wire and speakers? Check the speaker wires closely. A loose strand of wire can short and cause data errors. Plus, do you have any headphones? They may work, where the right channel won't. You could at least listen that way, if so. That would also let you know the preamp functions work.

Also, try turning off any DSP Effects/functions. This might bypass a defective digital IC chip, and allow the receiver to at least play an analog source through both channels.

Finally, HiFiEngine has both the manual and service manual. The service manual has instructions on how to run a diagnostic function, that tests for failed sections. It might be worth to join HiFiEngine (it's free) and download the manuals. It can't hurt to at least run the diagnostics routine, to see if it reports a failure? If nothing's found, it might be an issue elsewhere in your system.

Last edited:
Data error I'd suspect some sort of internal processor/processing problem or maybe a problem in the data stream from the source (if digital).

My first course of action would be perform a factory reset if it has one.

Have you tried any basic troubleshooting? First, I'd completely unplug the receiver. Not just power it off. Leave it unplugged for 30 seconds or more. This might reset a glitch.

Next, try a different source, different cables, swapping speaker wire and speakers? Check the speaker wires closely. A loose strand of wire can short and cause data errors. Plus, do you have any headphones? They may work, where the right channel won't. You could at least listen that way, if so. That would also let you know the preamp functions work.

Also, try turning off any DSP Effects/functions. This might bypass a defective digital IC chip, and allow the receiver to at least play an analog source through both channels.

Finally, HiFiEngine has both the manual and service manual. The service manual has instructions on how to run a diagnostic function, that tests for failed sections. It might be worth to join HiFiEngine (it's free) and download the manuals. It can't hurt to at least run the diagnostics routine, to see if it reports a failure? If nothing's found, it might be an issue elsewhere in your system.
im in the process of replacing it now, a fellow local aker has a marantz surround sound reciever, ill be getting from him, for a fee :)

i was just curious as to what may cause data error, an yes i tried all the above. an still no go no sound. its from 06, and my guess? its time has been chosen. at least it went out playing black sabbath fairies wear boots.

Data error I'd suspect some sort of internal processor/processing problem or maybe a problem in the data stream from the source (if digital).

My first course of action would be perform a factory reset if it has one.
it did it on radio, tv, dvd, cd, blu ray, ps3, all said error. its old so im not even going to try an fix it/spend money on it. not worth it. it was given to me by a local, and ive had it in service for 5 yrs now, doing music/movies/and ps3 gaming. if a local aker, wants to try an repair it? by all means come an get it. it could be a simple fix or not so simple fix. ill even have a guinness with who ever takes it.

its from 06, and my guess? its time has been chosen. at least it went out playing black sabbath fairies wear boots.

Nah, I run Denon 3801, 3802, and 3803 units from the early 2000s with no problems at all. My guess would be component failure due to thermal stress.

Back
Top Bottom