Getting feet wet with a 2205...

centsless

Looking for advice. I have a pair of 4 ohm AR LST's that will handle up to 500 watts. I will never play then that high but looking for an amp that has some power and can handle 4 ohm easily....and be somewhat attractive in doing so. I am on a list with Tom to get a 2205 but wanted to ask opinions on this great amp.

Secondly, what pre would you recoo'd with the 2205? Thanks for any help. My first venture into McIntosh equipment.

I use my 2205 to drive a pair of Kef Concerto. They sound wonderful together. Don't know how the ARs would sound with it though. The 2205 has a pretty low damping factor and that might be an issue with the ARs.

I use my 2205 to drive a pair of Kef Concerto. They sound wonderful together. Don't know how the ARs would sound with it though. The 2205 has a pretty low damping factor and that might be an issue with the ARs.

Specs say 16 or higher...so don't think it's a problem.

MC2255 and MC7270 would be alternatives.

C32 would have been the period correct match for the MC2205. C27, C29, C30, C33, C34V would be alternatives.

Have fun!

No, no more fires lol The MC402 needed all that room.

But back to your question, before getting the C2300 and MC402 I was running a C32 and MC7270 combination. It would be a fine way to drive the LST's. I didn't have my LST's then but i can guarantee the 4 OHM isn't an issue with the 7270, I was driving Kappa 9's with it and they drop way lower than 4 OHM, they are called the Amp Killers for a reason.

Some information from the owners manual

And not sure where you got your's but adding a fresh set of the correct fuses is a good first step.

Last edited:
No, no more fires lol The MC402 needed all that room.

But back to your question, before getting the C2300 and MC402 I was running a C32 and MC7270 combination. It would be a fine way to drive the LST's. I didn't have my LST's then but i can guarantee the 4 OHM isn't an issue with the 7270, I was driving Kappa 9's with it and they drop way lower than 4 OHM, they are called the Amp Killers for a reason.

I had looked at the 7270 but reviews were mixed whereas the 2205 is well liked. Yes, I have the new fuses in and found these AR's where they are completely untouched and were in a closet for almost 30 years....and all drivers worked! Also has a textured black grill that was installed by AR.

Oh from everything I have read I think you made a good choice, I just couldn't comment on the 2205's ability to drive 4 OHM as I have never owned one. I have owned a 7270.

AT some point this week I am going to lower mine. I think I got a little carried away when building the stands. Probably going to drop them 8 inches.

Regarding the preamp, I'm use a leestereoified C26 and I love it! It does have different dials from the MC2205, so I bought some used from a 2105 and it all matches now.

AT some point this week I am going to lower mine. I think I got a little carried away when building the stands. Probably going to drop them 8 inches.

I missed your video earlier.....very nice system. I have mine slightly higher than yours. Have you tried them lower? Just curious.

Oh from everything I have read I think you made a good choice, I just couldn't comment on the 2205's ability to drive 4 OHM as I have never owned one. I have owned a 7270.
I thiunk the MC2205 is a fine choice! My 2205 is driving my 4 ohm ADS L1530s with no problem at all. I will report back when I pick up my Aerial 10ts on Saturday. They are supposed to be a bear to drive. I might need a 2nd 2205 or a 402.....:deal:

Back
Top Bottom