Getting feet wet with a 2205...

I thiunk the MC2205 is a fine choice! My 2205 is driving my 4 ohm ADS L1530s with no problem at all. I will report back when I pick up my Aerial 10ts on Saturday. They are supposed to be a bear to drive. I might need a 2nd 2205 or a 402.....:deal:

Scratching my head with McIntosh Audio. Was put on a list and told he was looking at one and let me know in a couple of weeks. Now over a month so emailed them early this morning and inquired.....and nada.

Is this their nature? Heard good things about them....so not sure what is going on but communication would be nice.

MC 2205 works very well with Acoustic suspension speakers. Just keep the speaker lines short using 14 or 12 gauge wire. With the smooth sound your AR's should have sweet sound. Amps or pre-amps with TIM distortion or with Switching power supplies are quite irritable with AR speakers. I used multiple AR 3 and 3a speakers with 3500 tube amps where I couldn't use larger speakers and the sound was fantastic and very life like. We demoed 3 AR-3 and 3a using 275/ 75 or 2105 and 2505. L C R. The sound was great. Not as loud as A Klipsch set but just a thrilling and in smaller rooms much more authentic. I would be care full and try not to push more than 100 watt long crescendos.

Scratching my head with McIntosh Audio. Was put on a list and told he was looking at one and let me know in a couple of weeks. Now over a month so emailed them early this morning and inquired.....and nada.

Is this their nature? Heard good things about them....so not sure what is going on but communication would be nice.

Call Audio Classics and ask for Ryan, he'll take good care of you. No affiliation, just a multiple time customer. http://www.audioclassics.com/contact

MC 2205 works very well with Acoustic suspension speakers. Just keep the speaker lines short using 14 or 12 gauge wire. With the smooth sound your AR's should have sweet sound. Amps or pre-amps with TIM distortion or with Switching power supplies are quite irritable with AR speakers. I used multiple AR 3 and 3a speakers with 3500 tube amps where I couldn't use larger speakers and the sound was fantastic and very life like. We demoed 3 AR-3 and 3a using 275/ 75 or 2105 and 2505. L C R. The sound was great. Not as loud as A Klipsch set but just a thrilling and in smaller rooms much more authentic. I would be care full and try not to push more than 100 watt long crescendos.

Thanks for info. The AR LST's will handle 500 watts so won't have to worry. I know the AR3's and 3a's will only handle 100 watts but even my pairs will never get driven that high. I just want an amp that drive them and not get cooked.

Got the 2205 and now deciding on a pre. What's everyone opinion on the MX130? Seems to have everything including tuner for good prices. This will be for stereo.....no surround stuff.

Holy Moly people!...I FINALLY got the amp hooked up to the LST's with a Sony ES CD player hooked directly to it....and that little beast spits out fire!...lol. How nice to finally hear these speakers like it suppose to. Crisp and powerful....and clean.... luv it!

Came from N Carolina in the original box....and now I see why you don't ship these units without this box. Came perfect...thank you shipping gods. My UPS guy begged me to never buy another!..lol It tis a little beast...as I was even shocked at how heavy this was.

Now on to find a pretuner for it...

Holy Moly people!...I FINALLY got the amp hooked up to the LST's with a Sony ES CD player hooked directly to it....and that little beast spits out fire!...lol. How nice to finally hear these speakers like it suppose to. Crisp and powerful....and clean.... luv it!

Came from N Carolina in the original box....and now I see why you don't ship these units without this box. Came perfect...thank you shipping gods. My UPS guy begged me to never buy another!..lol It tis a little beast...as I was even shocked at how heavy this was.

Well you'd better update your sig! Congrats on the acquisition. The MX117 is a perfect match and an excellent value for a tuner / preamp.

Well you'd better update your sig! Congrats on the acquisition. The MX117 is a perfect match and an excellent value for a tuner / preamp.

Thanks for opinion. That is the second person who has suggested the 117. See if I can find something close...

Thanks for opinion. That is the second person who has suggested the 117. See if I can find something close...
The MX117 was the last stereo tuner / preamp offered by McIntosh. It's a combination of the C504 preamp and the MR75 tuner. It's the only stereo tuner / preamp that is a cosmetic match to the MC2205. Sound wise, you're hard pressed to buy more for the money in this category. I've had a half dozen over the years.

Congrats! Local service tech has two pair of AR LST2's....got me thinking to pair with my 2255. But he wants $2k.....

Congrats! Local service tech has two pair of AR LST2's....got me thinking to pair with my 2255. But he wants $2k.....

Well...the LST2's is 8ohm and has the 10" woofer. Fancy version of the AR5. Whereas the LST is 4ohm and has the 12" woofer and is the fancy version of the 3a. Can handle 500 watts but read this recently...(CBS labs tested them up to 1000 watts RMS with no clipping.)....

I have to thank you all for your help and opinions. I contacted Tom this week and spoke with this fine gentleman this morning and ordered a MX-117 from him. Will be awhile as it needs serviced first before they send to me but willing to wait for it. Tom can't be any nicer and we talked for quite awhile. Feel like I am in good hands with these guys....:)

Thanks, the person I got them from did it, he was a former AR employee, even came with the original owner's manual.

Thanks, the person I got them from did it, he was a former AR employee, even came with the original owner's manual.

Weird in that mine have black grill cloth also....but was applied by AR. It was verified that the stapling and method put on was from AR. Makes them rare I guess...:) IMG_3597.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_3599.JPG
    IMG_3599.JPG
    91 KB · Views: 5
I like the look of the black cloth over the white on the AR's.

On topic, there is another AK'er new to the 2205 club.. He seemed very happy when he called last night after listening to my former amp for 4 hours -- @ovalhead1 !

Congratulations, nice set up.
I'm also a MC2205 user with difficult 4 ohm speakers, Infinity QLS1.
I'm constantly amazed at just how good this set up sounds. I always think I'll add a second 2205 or a 2200, but for now this is pretty special. Even after many hour of very high volume the amp is cooler than the pre, the lights seem to be the warmest part.

Enjoy many years of exceptional audio.

IMG_5387.JPG

Back
Top Bottom