Getting into active studio monitors

Tdogzthmn

I recently picked up a pair of used Mackie HR824 mk2 studio monitors to compare against my primary system which included some high efficiency fullrange speakers driven by a low power SET tube amp. My only other experience with active speakers had been a pair of Audioengine A2 used in a secondary system. By nature studio monitors are designed to be neutral and detailed sounding so I had been expecting them to sound shrill and bright compared to my tube amp and fullrange speakers. To my delight they sounded incredibly smooth and balanced. Music sounded more nuanced and detailed where the fullrangers were more congested and grainy. Its also nice having the ability to tailor the sound of the monitors to the size and placement of the room. I'm able to get deeper and more articulate base that compensates for being placed near the rear wall.

I'm sure many audiophiles have owned a pair of active speakers at some point but not many seem to use them in their primary system which now seems surprising. I'm getting a much better sense of musicality and realism which has been addicting. One of my favorite headphones is the AKG K240DF which is also very neutral and articulate sounding. I even compared it to my HD800 and found the two headphones were incredibly similar sounding. The K240DF is still in use but my HD800 had been long gone. In my experience it seems that accuracy and musicality often go together.

It would be nice to hear from some other AK members that are also using Active Studio Monitors as their primary speakers for listening.

Back
Top Bottom