Getting out of my Remington 770

I'm curious to hear what your dealer will give you in trade for your 770. It has taken a fairly sound trashing online. It may be considerably less than you'd expect (I hope not).

If your a fan of the Savage, you may consider the Stevens Model 200 - essentially an entry level synthetic stock Savage without the Accutrigger at a very reasonable price. Note, however, that the Accutrigger addressed long standing complaints with the older Savage models' triggers. Accordingly, the Stevens 200's trigger is probably nothing special, but other aspects of the gun should be an improvement over the 770. Check some online reviews. They're quite favorable for the cost. Personally, I'd spend the extra bucks for a good trigger. Life's too short to shoot a gun with a lousy trigger.

I'm curious to hear what your dealer will give you in trade for your 770. It has taken a fairly sound trashing online. It may be considerably less than you'd expect (I hope not).
I'm not optomistic at all. MC sports is selling new ones for under $300 and, as you stated, the reputation of this rifle couldn't get much worse. If I can get 15% to 20% off the sticker price of a Savage 111 I think I'd be doing well.

If you like the fit and feel of the Savage then in my opinion you should probably go that way. You'd be hard pressed to find a much better option in the price range. But if I was buying, I would make sure to move high enough in their line-up to get the AccuTrigger... It makes a big difference in my opinion!

Another option I've heard a lot of good stuff about recently is the Marlin XL7. I haven't handled one, but they are getting good reviews.

... and to think these scopes started out originally as Tasco's. I've heard nothing but good things about the Tasco (and now the SWFA) Super Sniper scopes.

Yeah, but I think it was/is related to the company contracted to build them for TASCO - I'm pretty sure that is Hakko in Japan. Almost all the Hakko built TASCO scope are good :) That goes back to the late 1970's that I know of :scratch2:

And good luck Jonesy09 on the rifle upgrade :)

Last edited:
Yeah, but I think it was/is related to the company contracted to build them for TASCO - I'm pretty sure that is Hakko in Japan. Almost all the Hakko built TASCO scope are good :) That goes back to the late 1970's that I know of :scratch2:

I think you're right. It was just a bit of a disconnect to see a Tasco name on a scope of that quality/reputation. That said, I have an older 2-7X Tasco World Class on one of my Knight Muzzleloaders and it's been surprisingly good. I bought it as a refurb from Natchez almost 20 years ago because it seemed like a cheap spare to have laying around. I put it on the Knight with the intent of putting a Leupold or Burris on it later. Later never happened. It has maintained its zero year after year, even with all the inevitable banging around associated with disassembling and reassembling a muzzleloader for cleaning.

Well, isn't this something......

Sorry to resurrect a long gone thread, but I just found this very coincidental.

I have been away from the audio hobby for a while, and likewise not around here much lately. But looking for my old record cleaning recipe had me digging through my old posts and low and behold I come upon this.

Finally dumped the 770 after the 2015 gun deer season.

Yeah, the Remington hung around longer than I wanted, but what are you gonna do? We got my son out of his .243 Savage into a same model but long action (111) .270 for his birthday this year. He still had a much better gun than me and now we shared the same caliber.

That, along with the awful action and Halloween trigger (creepy as hell) of the 770, finally prompted me to do something. The Remington had killed deer every year I've owned it (not without some mishaps along the way), including this season. I was just fed up with it's behavior and it's.....clunkyness.

I got things narrowed down to a Weatherby Vanguard 2 or a Tikka T3 until I ran across a Sako A7 in the local Cabelas gun library. And it was in .270 to boot. After giving up my 770 and shotgun (that was collecting dust) in trade I got into the Sako and a Vortex Viper HS for half of the retail cost of the two out of pocket.

I know the A7 is a far cry from regular Sako's, but after living with the 770 for 6 years, I'm just amazed. I can't believe this is what an action and trigger are supposed to feel like. Along with the light weight (even with the bigger scope) and balance, and the amazing new optics (had entry level Bushnell and Simmons forever), I just can't get over this platform. Going to spend some time finding the right bullet for this thing and can't wait until 2016.

Back
Top Bottom