Getting rid of Mouse Smell...

mmcc

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
I’m cleaning up a realistic sta-2100D. While minus a few burnt out bulbs it seems to work pretty well, under the top grill it is filthy and smells of mouse.

I’m working on the filth with liberal application of 91% IPA, but the smell doesn’t seem to be dissipating.

Are there any suggestions for deodorizing the inside of an old receiver?

I’m cleaning up a realistic sta-2100D. While minus a few burnt out bulbs it seems to work pretty well, under the top grill it is filthy and smells of mouse.

I’m working on the filth with liberal application of 91% IPA, but the smell doesn’t seem to be dissipating.

Are there any suggestions for deodorizing the inside of an old receiver?

Seriously, you're going in right direction. Consider that the mouse offal was more or less distributed in every direction FROM every direction. That means each and every component needs scrubbed from top, sides, ends, AND bottom. Gotta get UNDERNEATH resistors, diodes, caps, chips, etc. as well as into EVERY crack and crevice. Major PITA, but that's the deal. I've learned to stick my nose in the cooling slots BEFORE I buy. Not worth the time or effort to deodorize a lot of this stuff, though opinions differ on which units are worth the effort. Good luck.

I've read that some use hamsters to counter the mouse smell.
Read it on the internet so it must work.

Several enzyme odor eliminator products on the market.

If it were me, I'd spray liberally, let set for a day or two, rinse with DI water and air dry with a fan. You really want to make sure it's completely dry before powering up!

I used one made for cat odor (because I once had a cat) on a garden chemical spill (plywood shelf) and it greatly helped.

I've read that some use hamsters to counter the mouse smell.
Read it on the internet so it must work.

That’s not the worst thing I’ve heard of people doing with hamsters on the internet...

The CVS has a bottle of 91% IPA with a spray nozzle like a bottle of windex. Would there be any harm with spraying the stuff on?

Several enzyme odor eliminator products on the market.

If it were me, I'd spray liberally, let set for a day or two, rinse with DI water and air dry with a fan. You really want to make sure it's completely dry before powering up!

I used one made for cat odor (because I once had a cat) on a garden chemical spill (plywood shelf) and it greatly helped.

Spraying the electronic components with a water based solution seems rather risky - wouldn’t that be asking for oxidation?

Spraying the electronic components with a water based solution seems rather risky - wouldn’t that be asking for oxidation?
Good point. However if sprayed, rinsed and dried quickly, I doubt there would be a problem. Maybe just leave the enzyme solution on for a hour or so. You could research how long it takes for the enzymes to work.

Unless you can find something else that works, I'd risk the possibility of a little oxidation in order to get rid of the smell, and disinfect it. Some of the products also disinfect and sanitize as well. I'd also wear nitrile/vinyl gloves and a N95 particulate mask while working on it. Mice, and their droppings, carry some nasty things with them. https://www.cdc.gov/rodents/diseases/direct.html

I would use the enzyme stuff on anything that got peed on and then rinse liberally with water. There are debates about getting the boards wet but I can guarantee it's less bad getting water on them than what's already been done.

Mouse dander equals bad. Fortunately, I've never faced this situation although with a STA-2100D, I might. I would brush off and remove as much of the dust and muck as possible. Then unload a can of residue free contact cleaner (not deoxit) on the boards. Be sure to do this in a cool place. On a warn day, the fast evaporating cleaner will cause ice to form which is no good. This worked with a cigarette smoke amp I had long ago.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I gave all of the internals a good dousing with isopropyl alcohol - that should kill any and all potential pathogens. Assuming the amp still powers on after that stuff evaporates, I'll hit the boards with contact cleaner. If there's any remaining smell, I think I'll dissolve some of the little lady's essential oils in the alcohol and give it another coat. I might not be able to completely remove the smell, but I bet I can overpower it.

Hydrogen Peroxide kills bacteria and the smell is the result of increased bacteria, plus there is nothing in the solution that can harm anything. Alcohol is good for getting rid of sticky residue....

What ever you do...do NOT go in with compressed air and blow out the unit! If you decide to go this route, take precautions on wearing an adequate mask/respirator and tight goggles on. There are some nasty stuff that you get from some mice dust from their droppings. Plus, do the clean outdoors if you can.

Q

What ever you do...do NOT go in with compressed air and blow out the unit! If you decide to go this route, take precautions on wearing an adequate mask/respirator and tight goggles on. There are some nasty stuff that you get from some mice dust from their droppings. Plus, do the clean outdoors if you can.

Q

Good advice, I'm sure, but I already did that step :) I was done outside but I must admit to not utiliziing the PPEs. If you hear of someone in north east Ohio dropping dead from hantavirus, you'll know why.

Oddly enough, there were no mouse droppings, no mouse nest material inside - a lot of dirt and the smell. The frame also has some corrosion which may have been caused by critters.

Thanks for all the thoughts. I gave all of the internals a good dousing with isopropyl alcohol - that should kill any and all potential pathogens. Assuming the amp still powers on after that stuff evaporates, I'll hit the boards with contact cleaner. If there's any remaining smell, I think I'll dissolve some of the little lady's essential oils in the alcohol and give it another coat. I might not be able to completely remove the smell, but I bet I can overpower it.

Bad plan. I once went to buy a TOTL receiver for good bucks that had sat just above a Glade air freshener plugged into the wall. The stink once that unit warmed up sent me running. Many people, especially guys, cannot stand the perfumes women seem to go for in a big way. Watch yourself (I'd advise you stick with pine or lemon or similar.)

Yeah, scented oil is not such a good idea. In fact, any oil on the PCB is not a good idea.

Wash it down with windex, dry and then leave it in front of a box fan blowing air for days in the garage.

Barney

Hydrogen Peroxide kills bacteria and the smell is the result of increased bacteria, plus there is nothing in the solution that can harm anything. Alcohol is good for getting rid of sticky residue....

I've had good luck with H.P. solutions and it's cheap. Nothing harder to get rid of is cat spray and market is full of stuff that is expensive and doesn't work. You can follow this formula with baking soda for pets
https://www.thriftyfun.com/Hydrogen-Peroxide-to-Remove-Pet-Urine-Odor.html

But I've used a small mister spray bottle with hp and a small amount of distilled water with NO Baking Soda with good results for car tobacco smell with just a light misting on carpeting.. The mister needs to be fine like what women use for facial water spray etc. Since its a very fine mist, evaporation is fast and you can use a hair dryer on low heat, too and repeat quickly instead of waiting.

Back
Top Bottom