Getting the Most From Fisher FM Stereo MPX Tuners and Receivers

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by dcgillespie, Mar 17, 2016.

1. thornev

thornev Active Member

Monk, I did this mod a while ago. If no one answers you, next time I open mine up, I'll let you know where it goes. If you can find R204 which is a 1M ohm resistor (use a multimeter to find it?), the 47K resistor is actually piggy-backed on top of it i.e. each arm of the 47K resistor is connected to each arm of R204. I thought I had a picture I could post for you, but I can't find it. Thorne

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018

Please register to disable this ad.

2. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Super Member

Thanks. Here's an even closer view (with and without notations). Does the yellow dotted line and red circles represent the correct location of where to solder both leads of the 47k resistor?

closeup2notes.jpg

closeup2.jpg

3. monkboughtlunch

Last edited: Mar 2, 2018
  4. dcgillespie

dcgillespie Fisher SA-100 Clone Subscriber

That part works, and your connection points are correct.

Dave

eduarsan1 and monkboughtlunch like this.
  5. monkboughtlunch

I soldered this resistor in this evening. It fixed the "dancing eye" issue! :banana: But the interesting thing is my reception is improved. Before I had some static and hash in stereo on some stations (not all). Now all the stations across the band are locking in when in stereo (no garbled stereo stations). How did adding this one resistor fix that issue?

6. dcgillespie

If the strength of the 19 kHz pilot signal -- either due to reception issues or alignment of the adapter -- is such as to cause marginal syncing of the pilot with the 38 kHz oscillator, then distorted stereo will always be the result. The resistor acts to reduce the sensitivity of the noise detector, which allows the pilot amplifier stage to operate with more gain. This causes more pilot signal to pass to the trigger tube, causing the 38 kHz oscillator to then consistently sync with the pilot, where it didn't before. So besides greatly reducing/eliminating the eye tube dancing, the stereo reception will improve as well.

Dave

monkboughtlunch and Pio1980 like this.

7. monkboughtlunch

I still have the original EM84A magic eye tuning tube in my 400. If I replace it with an EM87, will the new eye tube behave any differently than the old EM84A (especially with the resistor installed to address the dancing eye fix)?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2018
  8. larryderouin

larryderouin Turn it UP, POP? PLLUUEEEZZZZZEE Subscriber

Yes, Slightly. Read back in the thread about the sensitivity of the tubes, and changes needed for each tube.

9. monkboughtlunch

Did the stereo beam "dance" on the 500B and 800B too? Or just on the 400?

10. dcgillespie

It is primarily a product of the MPX-65 decoders, used in the 400, 500C, and 800C. The WX decoders of the tuners and "B" receivers were much less prone to the issue.

Dave

monkboughtlunch likes this.
  11. Kennyg2209

Kennyg2209 New Member

Hi Dave, I've been reading your Thread and have been learning a lot. I'm a little confused about the V100 area and the V101. I have the MPX-78 in a Fisher Allegro. It appears that those components are not in this MPX? I'd like to get the best out of this tuner. What are your thoughts? Thanks you for this very informative article.

Ken 20180714_122041.jpg 20180714_122006.jpg 20180714_121914.jpg 20180714_122041.jpg 20180714_122006.jpg 20180714_121914.jpg

12. dcgillespie

Correct. The MPX-78 does not employ the noise detector circuit, because there is no indicator output to drive an eye tube or stereo/mono switching circuit. With no indicator output, there is then no concern for any false triggering of the indicator by noise, so the noise detector circuit is eliminated on this model.

Dave

13. Kennyg2209

Kennyg2209 New Member

Thanks Dave, I got it sounding pretty good. Just like to make it as good as it can be. I appreciate your reply.

Thanks, Ken

14. monkboughtlunch

I installed an EM87 in the 400. A few observations. The EM87 actually fully opens, going "dark" (no beam) when I move to a non FM source input. In contrast, with the EM84a (Fisher branded), the edges of the beams could still be seen slightly when a non-FM source was selected. So the EM87 actually seems to perform better than the EM84a in that respect. The EM87 does leave less of a gap when tuning stations than the EM84a.