Getting there...

Hi folks, haven't posted here in a while, with work and all, but loving these systems threads. Made the jump into tube gear about a year back and now am settling on two systems; one with tube amplification and one solid state. Had everything hooked up, but changing cabinets and lots of variables in play, so here's the state of things:

First pics show the listening room (also bedroom), as of a few months ago.

Magnavox 9304-20 tube amp with EL84s
Thorens TD-160 with Denon 304 cartridge
Aric Audio tube preamp
Pro-Ject Tube Box phono stage
Homebrew bass reflex speakers with Fostex 207e full-range drivers

Solid state system:
Tandberg TR-2080 receiver
Bang & Olufson M100 speakers
Tandberg TR-1040 receiver (not connected, using the tuner only for another room, with some Infinity RSb's) shown here on the bed.

I was playing with the Magnavox as the tube power source while my "real" amp was in the shop. I've taken it out of rotation for now, swapping in my Dynaco ST-70, and some other new toys with it. The new setup has so many variables, that I can't fairly assess all the changes, so it will take some time to settle into everything and tweak again each little element.

The Dynaco is the 2nd generation model, with solid state rectification. I've never had one of the older models that people make such artworks out of, so I can't compare them, but this one makes me very happy.

Here's the current mix of new stuff in the tube setup:

Dynaco ST-70 (new JJ tubes)
power conditioner (made things quieter and helped ease my nerves)
Audio Control C-22 equalizer (not currently hooked up)

I added the eq because I'm trying to tweak the balance of the Fostex speakers. To this end, I also added a subwoofer (kit model from Madisound) and some vintage super tweeters from Radio Shack. I had some other RS super tweeters since I got them new as a teen (around 1982?), but I burned out one of them recently. These replacements are much nicer than than my old pair, and are the type people suspect were made by Fostex. I'm much happier with the speaker performance now in general, and will play with the eq to try taming the midrange aggression of the Fostex drivers.

In the pictures is another turntable, the Thorens 135. It's a terrific table, I had a new plinth built for it, but I haven't yet done some necessary tuneups on it yet, including the motor clean and lube, so it's not yet in the system. I have a Denon 103R mounted to the arm.

Eventually, I'll move everything back into place, and probably keep the Tandberg hooked up to the B&O speakers, with the TD160, and move the TD135 into the tube system. Or some other combo yet to be determined.

Among the additions shown here is a lovely Cary Audio CD player. It's the most modern item I have, and probably the most expensive item I've purchased, although I got it used for $600. Since getting back into vinyl several years ago, I've been neglecting CD listening, and then simply realized I've never had a decent CD source. So to be fair, I sprang for the Cary, and now I can finally say I am eating my words over the infinite superiority of vinyl. It's all good with a decent setup.

Not quite there yet, but I'll post more pics as things evolve into something more closely resembling what I'm aiming for.

Cheers...

pics...

oops, thought they were attached... it will take a few posts to put them all online, sorry...

Attachments

• IMG_6716.jpg
    IMG_6716.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 96
  • IMG_6717.jpg
    IMG_6717.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_6718.jpg
    IMG_6718.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_6726.jpg
    IMG_6726.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_6722.jpg
    IMG_6722.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_6119.jpg
    IMG_6119.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 143
...and more pics...

Here's the earlier setup with the Magnavox in play...

Attachments

• IMG_6142.jpg
    IMG_6142.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_6126.jpg
    IMG_6126.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_6124.jpg
    IMG_6124.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_6122.jpg
    IMG_6122.jpg
    49.6 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_6121.jpg
    IMG_6121.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_6134.jpg
    IMG_6134.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 62
What are those single driver speakers? Look like very long phase plugs too. Plus are they ported out the back.

How do you like your Aric Audio? I have a single tube pre.

thanks!

Thanks for all the nice comments. Funny how everything is connected somewhere along the line. My username is a joke related to my stereo collecting, which was renewed around 8 months before my second son was born. It was a combination of panic, nostalgia, and taking stock in life. And getting back into music, which is another kind of midlife crisis for me.

Maybe this is too much information, but about 10 years ago an old girlfriend of mine from college passed away. She was someone I hadn't seen in years but we were very close. She introduced me to a lot of great music, and she had a terrific stereo system, while I was a working class kid with the worst system money couldn't buy. Thinking of her, I looked for a turntable to play some records she had given me, and research led me to this and other forums. I found the Thorens and the Tandberg receiver about 6 years ago, which came with a pair of Infinity's, all from the original owner. I've been a much happier person ever since, and I thank her for it.

Awesome (bedroom?) setup! :)

Thanks, yes, it's my bedroom, but since I live in NYC where space is such a rarity, this room serves a lot of functions. I don't really have a "living" room, so this does the trick. My place is a two-story apartment, sort of a house, with no neighbors above or below, so even though it's small, I'm very lucky. It's really the first place I've lived in New York (after 44 years) where I can play music however I want to and nobody cares. The room isn't sonically perfect, but it's adequate, about 14'x19' (4.2x5.8 meters). I'm thinking about putting some acoustic treatments up, but I'd rather not have to look at foam squares on the ceiling.

Maybe this is too much information, but about 10 years ago an old girlfriend of mine from college passed away. [SNIP] I've been a much happier person ever since, and I thank her for it.

I completely understand. My grandfather gave me the hi-fi bug nearly forty years ago, when I was just a young lad. In the last few years, I've managed to acquire a decent turntable and some of the vinyl he listened to.

What are those single driver speakers? Look like very long phase plugs too. Plus are they ported out the back.

How do you like your Aric Audio? I have a single tube pre.

I got the speakers and the Maggie from a guy on Craigslist who built them (I've gotten many components from CL, by the way, almost everything). They are plywood cabinets, kind of ugly but I'm not so inclined to rebuild them, since they are well made and sonically pretty good. The drivers are Fostex 207e 8-inch full range, and yes, they are ported out the back. Here's a close-up pic of the driver with its huge phase plug. The guy made them too, and the genius just put some screws in the back so they stick to the magnet and are easily removable. I like how they look, and they change the sound enough to be noticeable, although it's not dramatic.

I like the Aric Audio pre, it's so simple that I can be sure it's not coloring anything. I did change out the tubes he gave me to some JJ gold pins, and that was a nice tweak. I love that it allows me to switch between two amps with the same sources, since it has two output jack pairs and three input pairs. My only beef with it is the control switches he used on the front of the unit are very stiff to operate, and I have to grab them with both hands to turn them. Maybe some deoxit would help this, I haven't tried that. Oh, and it has another very nice feature which is a separate gain control in the back, so that the overall level can be adjusted with a bit more finesse than just the volume control. This helps a great deal when leveling the input balance between analogue and digital sources, and even with different recordings. Not sure why this works but it's helpful. Esthetically, it works nicely with everything else, too. And it's very well built, really good value for the money (I think I paid $400 for it? can't remember).

Attachments

• IMG_6130.jpg
    IMG_6130.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 22
Great! looking system.. I was born in Brooklyn, always walk around Mahattan during my youth.

That system must sound amazing. Tubes and SS together.

Enjoy,
thanks,
John.:music::D

I completely understand. My grandfather gave me the hi-fi bug nearly forty years ago, when I was just a young lad. In the last few years, I've managed to acquire a decent turntable and some of the vinyl he listened to.

Yes, I think living vicariously through hi-fi is a filter for a lot of life. We're also on a generation of transitions, technologically speaking. Another side note to all this: I got divorced about 12 years ago, and my ex sold all my records to a local record shop (I was into CDs then and didn't have a turntable anymore). After getting into vinyl again, I dropped into the place and incredibly, they still had a few of my old records, things I had bought in high school. Of course I bought them back, the irony was too delicious.

Back
Top Bottom