Getting to Marantz indicators...

wank

Moks by popular demand
Can anyone tell me how to get to the indicator lamps on my Marantz?
In particular I mean the 2235b.
I have a stereo indicator out, and the proper replacement from dgwojo, but got in and couldn't for the life of me figure out how to get to the damn things. Faceplate removal didn't get me there.

You have to pull off the tuner display panel.
Should be two screws near the lower left of the plastic tuner display panel in later models of the 2235b.. There are no screws in the left bottom in earlier models of the 2235b.
Remove them(if they are there), and pull off the tuner display panel.
There is a whitish peice of paper, replace that with a peice of tablet paper cut to fit, it will work just as good, and make the pretty blue lights brighter(if you want a stock look, double over a sheet of white paper).
The stereo lamp bulb should be clearly visible after tuner display panel removal.

OK. The world makes a little more sense now. The tuner display panel was lightly glued on the left corner. I used a razor blade to break the glue, and it peeled back carefully. Pulled the old vellum (I have a diploma made of the same stuff) and replaced with white sketch paper.
I can see the indicator bulbs, but I'm clueless on how to remove them. Any more stuff to remove? If necessary, I'll post some pics tomorrow.

That is the painful part.
They are bi-pin, so if you break it, you are gonna have to be cutting plastic..lol
I usually heat a needle up and push through the back top of the plastic and push the bulb out.
Then again, I am sort of redneck, but all my stuff look good..hehe
I am sure there is an easier way, but I use the heated needle trick.

A pair of tiny tweezers might work well too, I just dont have any, you may though.

But it is a bi-pin, so it pulls right out.
You might figure a good way to get it out, but for sure, that is the only hard part of working on a marantz.
On another note: Did you know they are starting to make diplomas out of brass plating on wood? At least mine was when I graduated two years ago..lol

Yeah, that sucked. Had to pull away the bracket holding the tuner string, the tuner indicator, and pull two screws holding the plastic bracket with the light board. Then came the soldering.
This had been done before, I suspect. There was a mismatched grommet for the lamp and some broken ears/tabs on the plastic bracket.
Ended up pulling two broken pins and one broken wire lead with tweezers, and then installed the new one.
And in the process realized I need two more fuse lamps for the dial. Awesome.

I know they do weird things with diplomas today. But vellum is pretty solid on the weird scale. They call diplomas "sheepskins" because that's what vellum is. Last I heard, there were only two US schools that still presented vellum diplomas.

Aye!
Sounds like you took the hard way.
Did you try the heated needle thing? ^_^

Fuse lamps are a peice of cake though.

I was able to replace the vellum on the two tuning gauges & the main display yesterday, but I didn't realize the stereo indicator lamp was a solder in & out affair. Those pins are close together & I am not very good with precision soldering. :no:

Back
Top Bottom