Getting to my 500C finally

Discussion in 'Fisher' started by 910ken, Sep 9, 2018.

1. 910ken

910ken AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have had this for a few months and wasn't even sure what I wanted to do. As with most of us my projects are backing up. I was going to sell it or possibly trade it for an integrated amp with no tuner. It is completely original. it has all Fisher tubes and the power tubes all measured very good on my Hickok 6000A. I do not think it had been out of the case.

Well, I got it from someone who played it somewhat regularly so I didn't dim bulb or variac it. Hooked it up to my Forte 1's and WOW!!!!!! The sound is wonderful. No noise at all, very nice bass and a lot of detail. Imagine it after a rebuild.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fisher-500...316242?hash=item2600088792:g:v1EAAOSwrXhbeGkx

Is anyone familiar with this seller. I have read soooo much on this amp and am trying to pull it all together for what all needs done. I have recapped 60's Fender amps though it has been a while. This seams to be a bit more complicated and for my first rebuild I like the idea of in depth instructions and other materials. I was hoping someone is familiar with his kits and weather of not this more extensive kit is all I would need to do to get a lot of good years out of my reciever.

Attached Files:

Please register to disable this ad.

2. 910ken

Also, what do I do with this case? Do I just oil it and what would I use.

I know there is a lot of folks with much more knowledge than myself so I do appriciate any help on this. I am glad to be in the Fisher fold. 20180826_192115.jpg 20180826_192149.jpg 20180826_192202.jpg 20180826_192234.jpg 20180826_192346.jpg 20180826_192355.jpg 20180826_192535.jpg 20180826_192528.jpg

3. 910ken

Some more picks.

Attached Files:

4. 910ken

This is waiting in the wings.

Attached Files:

5. fred soop

fred soop Super Member

Start with the stickies. This will keep you busy reading for a few days. Then you can decide how deep you want to go with restoration.

6. 910ken

Thanks. I have read and read on this over the past few months and I do want to go pretty deep. I know all the electrolytics for sure and the individual bias mod. Changing the 330k resisters. just wanted to see if anyone was familiar with this seller and his kits.

Please register to disable this ad.

7. ncwalz

ncwalz AK Subscriber Subscriber

Do a forum search on metalbone and Jim McShane Fisher upgrade kits. I think many members will feel that these are your best options.

8. baconbadge

baconbadge New Member

I bought my 500c from that eBay seller and he is a very knowledgeable and thorough seller. I also had him do a "tune up" on mine and he did a few upgrades, but I preferred the sound of my original ERO-FOL coupling caps and the original ceramic caps in the phono stage, which I wound up putting back in. But he's an honest guy.

9. 910ken

Hey, thanks for your input. I did go ahead and order that kit. I am looking forward to getting this up and running good.

baconbadge likes this.