Getting to the front panel switches Bogen DB114

bfotk

bfotk
The speaker selector slide switch on my Bogen DB114 has crapped out. I don't want to replace it with a new slide switch (unless I can find one with a white plastic slider).

So my plan is to get to the switch and jump the terminals so it feeds the A speaker only. Should be simple...once I figure out how to open up access to the back side of the switch.

I removed the three small philips along the top backside of the panel. Nothing moves. What's the procedure for getting access to the back of the front panel?

I think you have to remove all the knobs but won't know for sure until you post some pics. :thumbsup:
Here are a few. Not taken with disassembly in mind, but they can serve as a start. Note in the first one,the two screws near the top. Those are the threaded ends. The heads are behind a front panel. As I said in the first post, I have remove the three screw along the very upper edge and accomplished seemingly nothing.

0713181253.jpg

With the knobs off, there's still that fascia panel. One can easily see, but not easily reach, the nuts on the controls. The failing switch is the one at the upper right.

0713181347.jpg

Bottom view doesn't offer much

0713181313a.jpg

If you remove the knobs are there nuts on the shafts that hold the front panel on?

There might be some other hardware that holds the front panel on. But it seems like you should have access to the switch if you remove that metal panel that is on a slant with some rca jacks on it. Have you tried takiing that off?

Thanks everybody! Yes. It's damn near mint...or as close as something 60 years old might be.

I managed to get at the switch by removing the outer wraps, the black bottom and the gray top and then removing the front panel trim plate. For the record on that, there are three small screws inside along the top edge and three along the bottom edge. I had to pull off the knobs, but did not have to remove the controls themselves.

The switch was not fixable unfortunately, so I put in a jumper to make the speaker terminals live. I put the switch back in for cosmetic purposes only. It now will play through the A speaker connection only. B and AB can't be selected. I do have a functionally identical 3 position slide switch that would fit the hole, but it has a black slider and it won't accept the white one from the original Stackpole.

By the way, I'll be listing it for sale on eBay in a week or so. I'm waiting for a tube that's scheduled for delivery today.

If the old switch is a Stackpole, or other popular vintage make,,, you can take the old one apart and swap the white handle into a good switch of the same make...

Wish I could, John. It's a Stackpole S515. I bought a bunch of similar ones from Nebraska Surplus hoping that one might be close enough to swap handles. Or to be more accurate, dig out the metal contact strips and put them in the Stackpole. Not even close.

Digi-Key spent a LOT of time on the phone doing its best but came up empty. The definitely made a positive impression even though it didn't work out.

Now if I could find a trashed DB114...

I bypassed the switch. No more A-AB-B selection. It's all A. But it sounds good and is lovely to look at.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom