Girl music geek found a home

stacyellenk

Hi there after spending hours here reading last night, I wanted to introduce myself - and I hope to be participating in this community.

I know that the audio forums are mostly guys, but I am a girl completely obsessed with music, analog and recapturing the sound I grew up with.

I rediscovered vinyl about a year ago, purchased a beautiful vintage record player on ebay that I had restored, and the rest is history. I have now rediscovered cassettes again, and it's like high school all over again.

I am combining the best of both worlds as I do love my ipod, and I have been working on converting my records and tapes to mp3. I love having my music in analog, and bringing together my old and new passions.

I do still buy music online on occasion, and I have a huge cd collection, but nothing compares to my reawakened love of the analog format.

Anyway, just wanted to say howdy, hopefully you all will see me around here quite often!

Welcome to AK!

Always nice to have more women around here....there are only a few that I know of.

What TT did you get?

Welcome to AK!

Always nice to have more women around here....there are only a few that I know of.

What TT did you get?

It is a beautiful Pioneer from the late 70's. Has a wood finish and a heavy, durable plate. I brought it into one of the only vintage audio refurbishing/repair shops I could find to spruce it up. I bought a new Shure stylus and a new band for it, it works as if it was brand new. My pride and joy:)

I admit though I would not what I was doing here if I hadn't found a TT forum over the summer that guided me on how to get set up here. And thankfully I live in an area where there are tons and tons (and tons) of secondhand shops that sell vinyl, so there is so much material at my fingertips it is insane.

thanks for the welcome everyone!

Stacy,

Welcome! You are not alone. I sold audio gear in the 60s and 70s. I did have a few women as customers. They were women who knew what they wanted/liked and were what I would call "strong" women. That isn't a bad thing. I married one. (she's not an audio buff but she certainly appreciates it, she is a musician)

Vinyl is experiencing a resurgence as you have probably discovered. You are lucky. There are original pressings for sale on that site and new heavy vinyl being pressed all the time. I read recently that the biggest problem with pressing more vinyl is that the few plants are booked 24/7 and no one makes presses anymore. The capacity can't be increased! What an awful situation!

So welcome and enjoy!

It is a beautiful Pioneer from the late 70's. Has a wood finish and a heavy, durable plate. I brought it into one of the only vintage audio refurbishing/repair shops I could find to spruce it up. I bought a new Shure stylus and a new band for it, it works as if it was brand new. My pride and joy:)

I admit though I would not what I was doing here if I hadn't found a TT forum over the summer that guided me on how to get set up here. And thankfully I live in an area where there are tons and tons (and tons) of secondhand shops that sell vinyl, so there is so much material at my fingertips it is insane.

thanks for the welcome everyone!

Nice!

I like Shure carts, and the stuff I have heard that came from pioneer 'tables has been better than the average Technics DD or somesuch that is all over the place.

Enjoy the vinyl!

Welcome to AK! :thmbsp:

We welcome everyone who shares an interest in audio, whether males, females, or little green grenchkins! There are some women here, including one moderator (that I know of), although they seem to remain in the minority. Actually, there have been discussions here in the past about how audio mostly attracts men, and most of us wish there were a bit more balance in this, so any interested women are more than welcome, as it helps balance things out a bit. Most of the typical, active AKers seem to be baby boomers, but we have younger schoolkids here, too, and some gerontological specimens, too. All types of people are welcomed, from all over the planet (and aliens, too, if they can type in English... :D). The only thing that really matters here is the interest in music/audio! :music: Even then, there are forums (fora) for cameras, cars, and other things, so we aren't even confined just to audio.

You say you are in an area with a lot of record stores. If it isn't a secret, where is that? You might want to go to your "user CP" (click on the link at the top right of the page) and add your location, so people can see where you are located, when they look at your posts.

Welcome!
Not that we need the competition scrounging used vinly and gear, but heck, the more the merrier!

First tip: Convert your vinyl to .flac so you only have to do it once!

Back
Top Bottom