Give Oskar a Wedgie and Heil Smooth Out and Won't Be Such a Dip!

I'm gonna keep swingin' here:
Do we have an understanding as to the results you're showing? How many shapes did you actually try? What is the measured difference between 60, 90 degree angle vs round diameters from say 1/2" to 1-1/2"?

I've only tried an equaliteral triangle 1" on a side. The prototype was composed of two brass strips and the final is triangular acrylic. These have a very cool look about them, even if they are not the ideal shape/dimensions and I am very pleased with resultant sonics. I've not done an RTA sweep of the acrylic pieces at this time.

Any further development is just out of boredom and for the sake of curosity and possibly development for marketing, and to see if further improvement can be made.

Yes,
DSC_0004_2_.JPG

DSC_0006_2_.JPG

I got to the workshop today and cut a pair of bases and vanes to go with them. I made provisions to test the 60 degree angle as well as a 30 degree angle and even a center vane for if the outer vanes don't come all the way together. I also did vanes in 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, and 1-3/4" lengths. The slot that holds the vane at the base is 3 times longer than the tab on the vane, so the vanes can be adjusted forward/rearward to adjust the opening between them. This will allow for a lot of variation.

I did up two sets. Typically I will test with one speaker with the RTA, then apply that modification to both and do lots of listening.

DSC_00074.JPG

I've got them tuned to my ear but to me they are very open very detailed, dynamic, impactful. I love their sound.

I had them at the last AKfest and a guy sat and listened to them for 2 hours without saying much at all. When he decided to leave he told me they were the best implementation of the Heil AMTs he ever heard. I said thank you and he told me he was Dr. Heils chief engineer for 20 years.

That meant a lot to me.

Toddalin, Really nice approach.. and a great look! Hope you're doing well.

Hey Dan. Who was that band CD we use to listen to speakers. I remember it was track 10. Was the band Colver city or something like that?

Hey Dan. Who was that band CD we use to listen to speakers. I remember it was track 10. Was the band Colver city or something like that?

Hi Dennis! Hope you're doing well.. The band was Culver City Dub Collective on their DOS album track 10: Mr. W

That's the one, thanks Dan. Everything here is good. 321 days of sunshine but we are at 6100ft so it was 23degrees this morning. Now I and in the shop in a tee shirt.

I'm building slot loaded open baffles sitting on 15" subs with Heils on top of the SLOBs for a shoot out in a couple weeks and Mr. W is the perfect track to see if I have impact or not.

I got to the workshop today and cut a pair of bases and vanes to go with them. I made provisions to test the 60 degree angle as well as a 30 degree angle and even a center vane for if the outer vanes don't come all the way together. I also did vanes in 1, 1-1/4, 1-1/2, and 1-3/4" lengths. The slot that holds the vane at the base is 3 times longer than the tab on the vane, so the vanes can be adjusted forward/rearward to adjust the opening between them. This will allow for a lot of variation.

I did up two sets. Typically I will test with one speaker with the RTA, then apply that modification to both and do lots of listening.

DSC_00074.JPG

From the look of the bases it looks like you will use 5 vanes in front of the Heil instead of 1 angled piece, is that correct?

All I can say about this thread is 'Holy shit!'

OK I do have one more thing. I wonder if you could cast them from recycled polystyrene foam melted in acetone.

It might not be perfectly clear but it can look cool.

All you'd need is a mold, some discarded foam, and a solvent.

main4506.jpg

Back
Top Bottom