Glass Door for Audio Rack.

62caddy

Trust but verify
Subscriber
Purchased my audio rack 7 years ago from Wayfair and I've been very happy with it. However the amplifier on the lower level tends to become quite dusty as a result of being close to the floor at where dust tends to get kicked up from foot traffic, vacuuming etc. A glass door (with mounting hardware) was optional for this cabinet which I had ordered but the manufacturer was unable to furnish it for whatever reason and the cost of the door was refunded.

Anyway, I'd like to get a door for the rack. I'm sure I could get a glass panel cut to size but the problem of obtaining the necessary mounting hardware and catch. Does anybody have any idea how to go about finding these items? The catch would have to be magnetized spring loaded type to "pop" the glass out, plus a metal plate to attach to the glass.

066_zpsef9bf7cf.jpg

Check goodwill and other thrift stores for a rack with a glass door. They go plenty cheap enough. Just remove the hardware and reuse.

BillWojo

The door should really be tempered so its "safety" glass. However, that will get spendy. Might I suggest 1/4" thick polycarbonate. Its easy to drill in to mount hinges and a door pull, and will not break. There are also smoked versions of this, if you would like to darken the door a bit.

Caddy that's a great looking rack, whats the model number if I may ask? My Fishers would look great in that. Thanks AL

Ace hardware in my town sells stereo cabinet glass door hardware, hinges,,catch, and latch in the hardware section. You know the little pull out drawers where they have all the bits you did not think anyone needed anymore. I'm sure your store has them too.

bin there done that

you need a set of these
https://www.homedepot.ca/en/home/p.black-pivot-hinge-set-for-glass-doors.1000144286.html
and some one to cut the glass
and a drill bit the size of the bushings for the hinges [bushings are included]

That just might work. Appreciate the suggestion!

Caddy that's a great looking rack, whats the model number if I may ask? My Fishers would look great in that. Thanks AL

I'll see if I can find the make and model number if it helps to locate one but unfortunately it's been discontinued. You're the second to ask the same question.

You can see an image??

I don't know what happened to it. Does this help?

066_zpsef9bf7cf.jpg

I second the hardware store parts aisle. Many different selections. Cost is a little more, but choice sometimes overrides that.

To get glass tempered, there's usually one place in town that does it. The other glass shops send their glass there, and marks it up. So call around/look in the "Yellow Pages"/etc. to find those that list it, then look for the least expensive. Chances are good they do it in-house.

To make glass tempered, it takes an oven that can take a pane of glass to an elevated temperature for a period of time. This puts stresses in the glass, so that if it breaks, it will break into "harmless" shapes.

the acrylic is a good idea
glass is heavy and that rack looks tall
might consider double doors

The hardware mentioned above is the way to go. I'd stick with glass, because with most polycarbonate/acrylic/"plexiglass", repeated cleaning is going to make it look like a 40 year old TT dust cover in no time with all the light/cloudy cleaning "swirls". Just realize that this may somewhat reduce your dust problem, but certainly not eliminate it, if the rack is open-backed.

I certainly have no expectation dust will be eliminated but the door should help with the problem somewhat. I'm planning on smoke glass which will help tame the meter lighting which is quite bright. Double doors wouldn't be a bad idea either...I'm really going to have to put some thought into this. :idea:

If it wouldn't necessitate bending over so far to close it,I would have suggested a window blind:rolleyes:

You can see an image??

I saw the image in his original post, but when I clicked to look further, I got nasty blog spam junk. Its apparently some kind of Photobucket thing -

The door should really be tempered so its "safety" glass. However, that will get spendy. Might I suggest 1/4" thick polycarbonate. Its easy to drill in to mount hinges and a door pull, and will not break. There are also smoked versions of this, if you would like to darken the door a bit.
Indeed. OP, you absolutely don't want untempered glass there. It would be very dangerous.
Any decent glass shop can supply a piece of tempered glass with any holes necessary. Holes and sizing have to be done prior to tempering. They may even be able to set you up with hinges and other hardware.

Back
Top Bottom