Glen Campbell, lest we forget how great he was.

onwardjames

Hoardimus Maximus
Subscriber
Most of you know Glen is suffering from advanced Alzheimer's, and no longer tours. His last album "Ghost on the Canvas" which does suffer from loudness wars, is a very VERY good album, and his voice was still quite strong (in his 70's, no less).

I found these two vids that display the man's amazing vocal talents, AND his ridiculous chops as a guitarist.

Watch, and enjoy.

This may be the apex of his many versions of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix"

and watch this roomful of talent stare in disbelief. Gary Watson, in particular, seems about ready to give a hellelujah.

I love this man's body of work. He improved nearly everything he ever did.

One of the commenters on those youtube videos said that the scuttlebutt amongst the musical cognoscenti was that if ever one person was born with too much talent, it was Glen Campbell.

The drummer playing in the last "Wichita lineman" is Gary Bruzzese. A local guy who has been in the business since the 70's
He is a friend of a friend and I met him once or twice at parties
Gary is now playing at the Handlebar J restaurant and bar in Paradise Valley , Arizona

Does the world produce entertainers like Glenn Campbell anymore?

Last edited:
Most of you know Glen is suffering from advanced Alzheimer's, and no longer tours. His last album "Ghost on the Canvas" which does suffer from loudness wars, is a very VERY good album, and his voice was still quite strong (in his 70's, no less).

I found these two vids that display the man's amazing vocal talents, AND his ridiculous chops as a guitarist.

Watch, and enjoy.

This may be the apex of his many versions of "By The Time I Get To Phoenix"

and watch this roomful of talent stare in disbelief. Gary Watson, in particular, seems about ready to give a hellelujah.

I love this man's body of work. He improved nearly everything he ever did.
Aren't you supposed to twang with a Mosrite? I think there's a rule.

The drummer playing in the last "Wichita lineman" is Gary Bruzzese. A local guy who has been in the business since the 70's
He is a friend of a friend and I met him once or twice at parties
Gary is now playing at the Handlebar J restaurant and bar in Paradise Valley , Arizona

Does the world produce entertainers like Glenn Campbell anymore?

Per your question, I'm not sure it does. The youtube/internet environment now produces chinese girls who have guitar chops on loan from God, and all manner of talent, but talent like Glen has?? Hard to say.
That's some Arkansas dirt-poor farmboy + god-given gifts = magic right there.

Thanks for sharing that story about Gary.

Thanks for the link, Botty. Been delaying watching that, cause in diapers I would hold the corner of our old Zenith and boogie my little buns off during the Glen Campbell Goodtime Hour. Got the home vids to prove it.

Slow and tragic end for a legend.

Picked up some copies of Glen Campbell LPs in dollar bins at various times. Most were not very good sounding ... by that I mean the surface noise was terrible ... pops, clicks & crackle. I culled them.

Eventually picked up a late 60's sealed copy of "Wichita Lineman" - Original Stereo LP at Jerry's in Pittsburgh PA ... sounded outstanding ... amazing how much excessive surface noise can distract from your enjoyment
of a record.

I have a handful of Glen Campbell albums in my "maybe" pile from recent large lots I acquired. This thread has reminded me that I need to check them out and not overlook them.

Botty's right. Mental illness treatment in this country is a shame and a tragedy.

Mitkraft, clean those up, and while some is far too schmaltzy, there is some serious musicianship in many of those tunes. Glen was the real deal, and live is where he excelled.

Back
Top Bottom