Glen Campbell, lest we forget how great he was.

I grew up on Glen. My Mom and Dad bought everything he put out. Even his instrumental albums. I remember one was Glen plays 12 string. Even watched his TV show when it was on. The only thing he was never great at was acting.

I remember in '69 listening to Galveston and dealing with the possibility of getting drafted in that f**ked up war. Great song along with Wichita Lineman, Dreams of the Everyday Housewife, Gentle On My Mind.
RIP Glen.

I've heard the only half-way decent thing about Alzheimer's is that most of the time, the victim often doesn't realize there's anything wrong at least in the early stages. I dunno if Glenn was spared even that..I remember "Southern Nights" was a monster hit in Richmond, anyhow in the spring of 1977 or '78. I was a sophomore or junior in college. It was like THIS in the weather there-Dreadfully hot, sticky, 2-3 weeks' maybe of NICE,then,winter monsoons.

This morning, caught the end words of Glenn's passing and something about a last song to his wife, so decided to look it up just now. Glad I did, and wished I hadn't!

It was a love song, "I'm Got Gonna Miss You" that he managed to put together before that damned condition rendered him not of this world. The back ground personal images/photos/videos almost brought me to tears as I listened to it. It's so...full of love, yet haunting at the same time as I wonder what went through his mind as he sang it.

Along with the radio info wherein I heard the above info of his death, the announcer mentioned that there are 400k cases of this mental condition in Canada, and another 40 million, but not sure if that was a world wide collective number or for the states. In either case it's a horrendous figure of the people coping with this terrible disease!

The world is again at a loss of one more musical icon. :(

RIP Mr. Campbell. You made a difference for the better.

Q

Last edited:
I 1st learned about Alzheimer's while reading what it did to Charles Beaumont, who was one of the prolific writers of "The Twilight Zone". Apparently, Serling had a small cadre of writers he used frequently.. The most poignant moment was when Beaumont told a couple of his pals that he couldn't go to see movies w/them ,as he just couldn't make sense or follow movies, he just couldn't follow them anymore.. Alzheimer's was even less understood back in the sixties than it is now.

When I heard the news, I asked my best friend if he could think of a better singer AND guitarist.

We couldn't come up with much.

RIP, sir. I've enjoyed your tunes since before I had the power of speech, and now at 45, I am again speechless.

Here is an interesting article about Glen Campbell & Alice Cooper being good friends. Many shared experiences throught the LA drug scene, getting sober and a love of golf. Cooper praises Glen as one of the 5 best guitarists out there. A video clip at the end looks to confirm his opinion. RIP Mr. Campbell.
http://www.wnd.com/2017/08/who-knew-alice-cooper-and-glen-campbell-were-best-friends/
Great article. Alice was also tight with Groucho Marx, who understood Cooper's shtick was just Vaudeville.

I am amazed at the number of bands/people he played with!

Caught a segment on the radio who he backed up and it went from the Beach Boys to Elvis before he went solo. There were a lot that he accompanied!

Didn't know this, but being at first a studio player, he really had to know his stuff, and be able to replicate the same sound/beat for each and every recording. Some can play the guitar, but he was one of the pros who could hold his own with the greats that he made sound even better before he went solo.

Q

Back
Top Bottom