GM Cars & Products That Are Going Down The Tubes

Status
Not open for further replies.
well add honda to that cuz the alternate power vehicle is a new joint owned company with honda...apparently you all voted with your wallet and facebook clicks

No doubt that's what many suppose but the electric car's existence/promulgation is not due to natural market forces.

No doubt that's what many suppose but the electric car's existence/promulgation is not due to natural market forces.
that is true, but the 'xxxx' powered car should and would be a natural extension of technology. we know that total performance can be had (read: tesla) so if they can find a way to make the fun last more than 30 miles...a lot would be on board...when a 'xxxx' powered vehicle can go 400+ miles on a cold day and refuel in 10 minutes, the IC engine becomes superfluous...

yanno the strange thing about this...the CT6 is available as a plug in, has 335 system hp, gets 62mpg and earlier this year drove NY to LA hands free

so it meets all the requirements GM was going for

Last edited:
If I survive to 80 plus a self driving car would be ok I guess but at 60 not a friggin chance .Gas prices have been trending down for years so I figure us north americans stubbornly cling to our bigger vehicles.Europe with high gas prices is the exact opposite .Diesels (small cars) are really big over there compared to here where its a small percentage.I know if I didn't have a boat and atv which I tow around a lot id have a small diesel powered car if available.Elect cars are actually a dismal failure sales wise

How would that car do in a snow storm quaddriver?Not to good id bet ,I believe theres maybe a place for self driving between plants(industrial usage) or in very narrow applications but for everyday usage im very skeptical and believe were being sold a load of baloney by the tech industry.Without getting too political they will have to force us to adopt them .Right now I enjoy driving and always have enjoyed it .I highly doubt that I will be alive to see pure self driving cars accepted readily or even perfected .

Last edited:
Noticed on the way home, while in the mall parking lot...Toyota/Honda/Toyota/Ford/Hyundai/Subaru/Kia/VW...and it went this way down each row.

Guess the big three didn't change with the times in the important aspects of production/design/reliability, paying more attention to style than function. They now face the future based on the past.

Sad, but inevitable. Then, when the foreigns started being built in N America, it hastened the end.

Q

A lot of the business arguments here are the same as when ford pared down to a mustang and a minicar only.

I think GM would be happy if they could just sell trucks...heck, they sell every $70K starting priced, gas guzzling suburban they make each year, without incentives.

The CT6 tho, my resurgent interest in caddy...the 2018+ CT6 is a marvel and it, not the vette, is GMs tech showcase. If I had CST-V money lying around and wanted to go luxury, an AWD, twin turbo CT6 would be an option...It outclasses its mercedes counterpart at a 50% discount...

Maybe Chevrolet will back off on those unrelenting idiotic commercials. Last ditch marketing effort for the past two years, fail.

We have four Chevies...a truck, an SUV, and two compact cars, all between 1 and 4 years old. Very satisfied with them, and very impressed with their overall quality and performance.

NA should have been protectionist like the Asians whom keep foreign brands out in their countries and we will likely become like the UK and Australia.

The younger generation can not afford cars anymore. Purchase price, insurance, fuel and assorted costs combined with (in most places) a huge cost just to get by has resulted in a lack of car sales in North America.
When kids can't afford to (or in some cases won't:D) move out of parents home while working 2 minimum wage part-time jobs a new car ain't in the cards for them.

NA should have been protectionist like the Asians whom keep foreign brands out in their countries and we will likely become like the UK and Australia.
There is the fact that in the 70s, Detroit produced a whole lot of crap because management presumed Americans would buy anything they brought to market.
I've always preferred smaller cars to big boats - Dodge Dart, Chevy Novas, Corvairs (!), and such, so it wasn't a big leap when I tried hot boxes like the VW GTi, Honda Civic SI and similar,
and preferred them to Chevettes and Fiestas, Pintos and Vegas and such.
I know Detroit got scared since then and got their act together - but that ship has left ...
If Detroit had built good small cars all along, more of us might have stayed loyal to home built brands.
But shutting down American factories and moving labor offshore for the tax advantages is a hell of a payback for TARP.

Actually, Mary Barra is making the hard decisions needed to ensure Gm's viability into the future. I have lived through almost 40 years of GM in my auto career, and have watched the big discounts and political infighting between divisions. I give her credit for making the tough decisions needed to keep GM viable into the future, It is never easy to make cuts, and closures but sometimes manufacturing costs and market trends drive decisions which is the case here. IMHO
Regards,
Jim

You didn't see what I did there? Big SUVs can drive through the deeper floods and heavier storms [they cause] much more easily than smaller more efficient cars.

Ahhh,and I thought you were going here....oops....

images

I'll keep driving my Acura MDX. At least it's made here in Kentuky unlike all those Mexican Fords. :)

Let's face it, if you really look at all cars, they are global products. I don't know if that's true about some Japanese brands like Toyota (I don't know if they have a high percentage of non-Japanese parts) but the Big Three have been either "Hecho en Mexico" or "Fabrique en France" for many years. The same for iconic English brands like Jaguar/Land Rover which is wholly owned by TATA, an Indian company (that's an Ironic one..lol).

I'll also keep driving my 1970's boats because they are cool, have less impact on the earth than a new Tesla/Prius and the cost of ownership isn't any more or less than a new car. For the record, I'm not talking about driving around in a nasty beater. I restore them to better than showroom new with some technological upgrades which is still a fraction of the cost of your typical luxury SUV.

My latest project is finding a clean 1977-79 Lincoln Continental Town Car which I will restore, update and daily drive for a few years until I get the itch for something else. Then sell it for what I have in it, or a little more or a little less. Either way, it's way cooler than anything new aside from ridiculous things like Phantoms, it's quiet, safe (because you can't go fast...or you die...haha) and when polished up and looking good fits in at the valet of an exclusive restaurant AND the local BBQ joint.

As far as self-driving electric (or gas powered for that matter) cars, PLEASE give me one ASAP. I hate traffic like poison and anyone who lives in a big city with shitty public transportation like Miami will club a baby seal to death with a narwhal's horn to not have to drive in that abortion. :) I'm still going to get in my ancient real American car on the weekend and cruise in style and comfort.

Cars are obsolete; larger vehicles are much better suited to dealing with the results of climate change.
Yeah bring back 1974–1976 Cadillac Fleetwood 75 sedans !
Don't worry about the Climate, it will always change because that G2 V Star AKA our Sun will have the same observable effects on our planet as it always has even before the time of Galileo that discovered the sunspot activity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom