going analog

john ol

i'm 62 yrs old & grew up on vinyl of course. i'm thinking about collecting lps again & i'm checking out turntables. i've been out of touch with them since the 70s having had gone to cassette & cds. i find the old lps fun to collect, not looking for hi-tech. they look good,smellgood(!) & bring back nice memories.cds r kind of boring right now. for practicality i'm looking at audio technica 120 although direct drive, & something by fluance . anyway, i found a pair of paradigm 5semk2 spkrs for 25.00 in good condition at a thrift shop which i found to be a real score. i have an outlaw 2150 receiver. with a run of the mill sony blu-ray, it all sounds well matched in a small living room. nice balance &good soundstage . got rid of adcom gfa-555 amp with a luxman receiver using as preamp w/ fried studio 4 spkrs when i moved. i do need stands for the spkrs. looks like they're made to be elevated. the older stuff appeals to me. i'm livin' in the 70s man ! any suggestions are fun to talk about.

Last edited:
hey, lookin' at the little picure & remember my 1st receiver, a kenwood that i bought in the military in 1975. it seems that anyone who went overseas back then bought stereos. most stuff was made in japan & cheaper over there. funny, lookin' around on-line & there is still a market for old pieces, it's fun puttin' it together & gettin' good sound. nice to look at too.

Last edited:
Welcome! Many of us are living in the 70's so you'll fit in nicely.
i always liked the look of meters on gear. it's harder for me to see them as clearly nowadays but seeing them move with the music looks cool. seems to add to the immersion into the music.

Welcome to Audiokarma! :)
saw frank at the orpheum theatre in boston in 88'. small theatre & i had a good seat in the loge. i love bach instrumental music too: violin,cello,organ, & keyboard played on modern piano. i like the composers who influenced frank too: stravinsky, & even small doses of varese', also modern jazz-blues etc..

Hi Welcome, my first good gear was a Kenwood 9340 with 4 Bose 501's bought over seas 1974.

Some of us think we are living in the 70's. Another result of Alzheimers I guess.
All my LP's sound new to me even if I just played them.

Back
Top Bottom