Going back to school, who's with me?

My buddy received a doctorate in a overly filled field in 1998, this was from Columbia U. His advisors were of no use, and he never worked in the field, save a few temporary positions.
I'm overtly aware of the possible pitfalls here n there for some, but it doesn't really serve to dilute my determination.
Also it's not my first time thru college. I like it.

My buddy received a doctorate in a overly filled field in 1998, this was from Columbia U. His advisors were of no use, and he never worked in the field, save a few temporary positions.
I'm overtly aware of the possible pitfalls here n there for some, but it doesn't really serve to dilute my determination.
I'd love to hear what your other degrees are in.

Mid 20s here, just finished a master's program. I am open to more education but not ready to pursue a doctorate.

In this day of technology, there is virtually NOTHING in college that you can't learn outside of the university walls. Liking college is great, but there aren't many openings for professional students that I know of.:thumbsup:

In this day of technology, there is virtually NOTHING in college that you can't learn outside of the university walls. Liking college is great, but there aren't many openings for professional students that I know of.:thumbsup:
Oh vocationally speaking, I've done well thus far.
Amazing that anyone would even need to post this kind of...whatever you wish to call it.

I went back in 2011 because I needed a bachelor's degree to get the job I really wanted. Took a year and a half of online courses, but I finally finished the bachelor's. Got the job too!

School can be fun, but then again, I never felt compelled to get straight A grades. In any event, I think I spent more of my life going to school than I ever did working... I went to school for 21 or 22 years.

Of course, these days school can be very expensive, and, even with a new degree or whatever, your job prospects might be dim. I guess it just depends. If it were me, and I just wanted something to do, I'd figure out a way to audit the classes I was interested in, possibly at a reduced cost. Some schools will let you do that. And you can watch a lot of classes now, for free, right online. Check out some of the podcasts on iTunes.

Ultimately it will lead to more goodness than just self fulfillment, and I have looked at auditing (my best buddy's mom did this at Princeton) as well as MOOC offerings.
I also realize there are many, many ways to find money for education, as I have mentioned above.
Where one goes does matter as does where one lives.

I walked away from law in 2010 and ended up in software development after getting an associate's degree in computer science.

My only regret is having ever gone to law school in the first place.

Biggest mistake I ever made was dropping out of graduate school. I have a bachelors degree in art history and another one in history. I was writing my masters thesis in art education but was unsure if I wanted to teach. Bad mistake!!!

I went back after ten years - it was great. I wasn't looking for a new direction but grant $$$ and a clear path to a thesis "nudged" me in a direction that has turned out to be extremely interesting and cool.

First day, and it's going to be a nice ride from what I gather. It's a no nonsense joint, and I like it that way.

When I retire I definitely want to go back to school. Not for a career change but more for my own edification... maybe engineering, art, literature, writing... who knows?

Me too. I'm fascinated by Quantum Mechanics. Not so much the deep math but the Theory.

Well, a year later at 53 years old and now I have been looking for a full time job. I have owned a small web design / marketing company for 20 years catering to small businesses and did fairly well (about equivalent to working a nice corporate gig). That allowed me to spend a lot of time with our son who is almost 18 now. Now technology has caught up with me and health insurance is unaffordable for self employed people. It's just too easy for a small business to DIY now with all of the freebie website tools and Facebook business pages. I have been looking for a Marketing Manager type job. Came very close twice but both times they chose the younger candidate. Ageism is a real thing. I can't prove that but you just know. I will probably have to start another type of business. Problem is now I'm having a health issue that already cost me $10K out of pocket and that was just for them to "rule everything out" when I tried to steer the medical "professionals" toward the right diagnoses. But nooooo they don't listen. They know what I am feeling more than me apparently. Will probably have to dip into the limited retirement funds to get this resolved. Too late to go back to school again so I will probably do something like interior home painting. At least I won't have to sit at a desk 12 hours a day.

One class left, I was chosen for an independent study which accepts 2-3 students per year. It’s my senior thesis class for my major, I’ll be writing a 50 or so page mini book.
Masters?

I spent 2 days last week in HAM radio technician class ( so I can get my HAM license) and let me tell you something.....IT SUCKED SO BAD! 90% of it was so far over my head it almost exploded. Algebra/Calculus/trig, formulas, blah, blah, blah. I cannot ever see myself sitting and paying attention for more than an hour or so. I couldn't go back to school.....no way, no how.

I'm a network administrator now for about 20yrs and am feeling burnt out on IT. If I ever do change careers it will be to something I can pick up without going back to school. Maybe stereo store salesman....oh wait, they don't exists anymore. I'm screwed.

Last edited:
Went to seven different colleges ... and look where it got me ...

images

Back
Top Bottom