Going Mobile. Thinking about connecting my cellphone to a FiiO DAC/Amplifier

Discussion in 'DACs' started by Alobar, Feb 3, 2018.

1. Alobar

Alobar Pulling out of the Last Chance Texaco.. Subscriber

I am pretty new at this topic, and as of this morning I wasn't even sure my phone (a Samsung Not 8) would play above MP3 (although I strongly suspected it would). I tested it with both FLAC and APE and it worked fine with both formats.

Now, I have ordered a new set of headphones, the Sennheiser HD 579 and I am considering a mobile (as in small, battery operated) amp/DAC that will pull lossless from my phone for those times when I am away from home, particularly when away from a 120v power source. I am looking at this device:

Fiio E17K ALPEN 2 USB DAC

Has anyone had experience with pulling digital files out of a phone to a device like this? I realize that I can just plug my headphones straight into the phone, but I am already looking for an upgrade it would seem! Not only looking for a better DAC than is likely in a cellphone, but perhaps a better amp to drive my 50 ohm HP's

What say you? Is this something worthwhile, or is there a better headphone DAC/amp out there? Or do I just need an amp as the DAC in the Note 8 is really that good?

I know I should probably wait and see if I like the sound of my headphones before spending more money, but I wont have a basis for comparison, and I am going on a trip for a few weeks so I want to be prepared. It takes advanced planning living this remote to get the stuff here with how slow and delayed things arrive via the mail.

Please register to disable this ad.

2. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

I've connected my S5 by USB to a Emotiva XDA-1, but of course that requires AC mains power.

Needed a USB OTG cable. I spent a buck or so more for a USB 3 micro variant, not because it would make better sound but because it seems bit more robust connection than a USB 2 micro plug.

3. Alobar

My Note 8 hasthe new style USB plug that is supposed to be 3. It seems a bit more robust than the older micro usb, and also it can be plugged into the phone in either direction. If this is new which I suspect, it may be a bit less common finding the right cord to plug from the cell to the FiiO..

4. whoaru99

whoaru99 Epic Member

That's USB Type C connector.

USB Type C OTG cable should not be hard to find/get.

Alobar likes this.
  5. Alobar

Does anyone have specs on Samsung's headphone output for their newest phones? Particularly wanting to know what the ohm rating is. Also wondering about the quality of the cellphone's internal DAC as opposed to the FiiO DAC/amp listed in the OP. Thanks

6. Alobar

So last night I decided to give the FiiO Q1 a try and ordered it from amazon as well as a cable that is OTG and has the type C USB on one end (to plug into my Samsung note 8)and a micro USB on the other. This model FiiO dac/amp doesn't break the bank but should provide a bump, both with amplification as well as digital to analog conversion.
    FiiO Q1.
    OTG cable.

Please register to disable this ad.