Going thru stereo menopause

When that happens to me, and it sometimes does, I turn off my home systems and only listen to the rubbish stereo in my truck. Or, I get around on the motorcycle and don't listen to music at all.

After a week or two of that, coming back to my home systems, they sound fresh and engaging again.

Yeah burnout can definitely happen. Taking time out to do other stuff is a good away to reset. Plus exploring new musical horizons if the same old stuff is just plain getting tired.

Yeah, familiarity can breed contempt...I loved the first 50,000 slam dunks in basketball but now bored stiff with the game....probable sensory fatigue. I recent started streaming on an old I Phone. Just switched on the "auto play" feature and let the phone pick the music......very enjoyable way to break the monotony.

My good equipment is at another location where I am not for most of the year. When I get there I spend a lot of time with my recordings and gear. A factor in this is that at my primary location I play in several bands a week, so I am doing live music here and recorded music/gear there.

Clever title to this thread.

try different things. get a movie pass and see all the current movies, go to as many museums
as you can, library borrow and read thrillers, take a long drive somewhere, eat foods you
have never had before (Chinese, Japanese, Mexican, Thai, Peruvian, Spanish, Russian, etc)
gather all your old but respectable clothes and donate to the fellows who need them to get a job,
volunteer at abused single parent shelter.

on a personal journey level, learn to play an instrument, or learn to program, take pictures,
etc

I have a lot of retired/older acquaintances, half are waiting to die, and the others see
freedom: one at 60+ bought the baddest Corvette he could find, another bought a Porsche
and one started to learn to program C++.

take vitamins, supplements (nothing from China), dye your hair, get ear rings, etc

then get a passport and go to a country you never been before, don't speak the language,
and never have eaten the food - try Estonia, Macau, southern tip of latin America.

then write a book, learn to dance and tango on the ferry ride from Buenos Aires to
Montevideo.

then after all that go back to classical music (600+ years vs 70 years of rock)
and develop a real bucket list.

Maybe you guys are right I run my gear from 6:00 am to 7:00 pm 7 days a week.I'm going to give it a break for a while and see what happens thanks for all your advise.My back can't take switching gear in and out of my system,especially the ones with wood cases.

I too, get bored with the same old, same old. Whether it’s with music, hobbies, working out, etc. Spotify is my new best friend for listening to new stuff. Right now we’re streaming space themed classical music. Some I’ve heard before, but allot of new pieces. About the only thing I don’t really tire of is jumping on my bike and heading out for long ride. It really lets me clear my head.

When you start with so-so gear and keep on upgrading, you reach a point where you can't upgrade much more and you reach a peak. The thrill of upgrading no longer exists. Maybe you can't afford to upgrade, maybe there is nothing better out there. In any case, no more thrills. Just the same old thing. Get away for a while and come back. Or switch to different gear (maybe inferior gear, maybe equal quality gear).

Move your speakers around!! Play with toe angle, and positions relative to front and side walls. I just did this thing this afternoon and it changed my system's performance.

Back
Top Bottom