Gone Completely Modern Now - It's not like I didn't try....

MikeT.

Displaced Irish Cajun
Subscriber
I just added a Pro-ject 1Xpression III and a Musical Fidelity M1DAC is being delivered Monday which will complete my update for a while hopefully.
I took my vintage Technics SL1700MKII out of service for some work. It has just never worked right from the time I purchased it from an eBay seller. The Pro-ject sounds amazing but a bit of a pain the a$$ to connect my Denon DL-110 cart but well worth the effort. Quiet, dynamic, huge soundstage compared to the Technics and much lower distortion. I'll keep the Technics to see if I can bring it back with a few tweaks here and there, but I'm very happy with the new table.
M1DAC is due to arrive Monday and I am excited to hear the expected improvement in CD but also the versatility it brings for digital sources which I plan to expand.
My initial intent was to go vintage, but have had bad experiences with shipping and quality. A Nikko Alpha I that was destroyed in shipping, my Technics table which has never sounded very good and finding out some of the required parts for the suspension are missing. After I started down the modern road I haven't looked back.
Just my experience, not a slam against vintage. I just don't have the needed knowledge to condition vintage equipment and really miss the music when a piece of equipment is down or not working properly.
The Pro-ject Xpression seems to be a great table, sounds terrific, completely manual, so likely if it ever needs repair its simple enough that even I can do it.

Last edited:
Congrats on the new turntable.

Buying vintage turntables is a tough way to go. I bought a used Technics SL1710 MKII on Ebay and had to put in over 10 hours labor and quite a few bucks before I got it performing like my SL1600 MKII, which I bought new years ago. You almost have to look at vintage turntables as a restoration project, regardless of the seller's description because even if it works now it will need work at some point to keep it running properly.

I found out the hard way. I'm going to be patient and work slowly on the Technics. I'm still waiting on parts but with the new table, I'm loving vinyl again. I played 10 albums over the past 2 days, more than in the past two months.

Cool and congrats on the new upgrades! Your system is working out just fine. Nice table, and thats a pretty good arm as well. Now which MF M1DAC did you get? Are you aware that they have 2 models? I don't think the name is any different but they have the original version and the upgraded version.

Last edited:
Thanks Byron, it's the upgraded, newer version I believe with asynchronous USB input. I've bought more new music in the last 90 days than I have in many years, that's how involving the new system is. Listening to some Tommy Flanagan and Beegie Adair Trio tonight. New rock/blues album by Trucks -Tedesci Band, Midnight in Harlem. Check it out. I've got Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables coming too. An Internet radio and then I might be done. It sure sounds almost done now. :music:

Welcome to the world of modern....stick around its pretty nice around here :music:

Nice table...

Thanks, I'm here to stay, not going anywhere, just being drawn in further....help! I'm loving every minute of it and listening seriously for at least an hour or more now a day, not occasionally. I think about getting back to my system when I'm on a business trip. I've got it bad:D. Weekends, sometimes my wife won't see for a couple of hours or come up and listen with me. We're having a great time.

Very nice table. I used to have an Xpression and liked it a lot.

Thanks Art, I thought I remembered you had an Xpression. It's a good table. My Technics had some real issues as I found out. New table, no distortion, incredible imaging and I think the acrylic platter keeps static down.
Is your We'll-Tempered Simplex a step up from the Xpression?

Is your We'll-Tempered Simplex a step up from the Xpression?

Oh yes. The Simplex is a huge step up from the Clearaudio Concept I had. If you read the reviews you will find that many folks find it better than anything anywhere near the 2k that it costs. It certainly betters my old P5 and Concept and they were both considerably better than the Xpression. The Xpression is right between the the Music Hall 2.2 and the Rega P3 in performance. Better than entry level by far. Relative to the Well Tempered, the only table I would trade it for is an Amadeus GTA...just sayin'!

Last edited:
Just a post for a more extended impression of the Pro-ject Xpression. The Technics may not have ever been right from the outset because the Pro-ject walks all over it. HUGE improvement in bass response, high end cleaned up tremendously, and MUCH cleaner sound overall. Soundstage is more defined and broader, image is consistent and stable. I will definitely take my time with the Technics repair and tweak. Very happy with the Pro-ject.

Thanks, I'm here to stay, not going anywhere, just being drawn in further....help! I'm loving every minute of it and listening seriously for at least an hour or more now a day, not occasionally. I think about getting back to my system when I'm on a business trip. I've got it bad:D. Weekends, sometimes my wife won't see for a couple of hours or come up and listen with me. We're having a great time.

Sounds like you are hooked for sure.

Awesome system. Congrats. I went all modern myself without giving it much thought as well. Only thing vintage I have that is gonna be difficult eliminating out my system or finding replacement for is my large altecs. Heard ton of modern speakers and so far the jbl m2 master reference monitors seems worthy but, at the price they go for I'll never be getting them anytime soon haha.

This new format is tough, the OP was just congratulated on gear that's nearly vintage now. :scratch2:

I thought I recognized this thread! Aside from the Spendors, I've cycled through everything:D

Holy smoke, what a crazy couple of years. :eek::nutz:

[Mod Edit: Remove vintage push]
Thanks Byron, it's the upgraded, newer version I believe with asynchronous USB input. I've bought more new music in the last 90 days than I have in many years, that's how involving the new system is. Listening to some Tommy Flanagan and Beegie Adair Trio tonight. New rock/blues album by Trucks -Tedesci Band, Midnight in Harlem. Check it out. I've got Acoustic Zen Satori speaker cables coming too. An Internet radio and then I might be done. It sure sounds almost done now. :music:

What type of internet radio did you buy? This has been the best investment I have made in my audio system. I'll be interested in your thoughts/first impressions once you have used it for several days. :music:

What type of internet radio did you buy? This has been the best investment I have made in my audio system. I'll be interested in your thoughts/first impressions once you have used it for several days. :music:

I'm still using Sonos for streaming internet radio. I've found everything I've needed so far. Sonos is one of the best buys out there.

Back
Top Bottom