Gone is the VCR, hello TIVO

WildWest

After living without the VCR for years now we missed the ability to record shows. Didn't want to do a DVD recorder as it all just seems so up in the air right now. My wife kept buggin me and buggin me for Tivo so I went out and got the Humax machine.

Tell you what, it's pretty damn bitchin! You can record all kinds of chit and best of all. You can blow through all the gawd damn commercials that makes watching TV SUCK!! We have it record the morning news and we now can watch the news and drink our morning coffee in 10 minutes instead of 20 or more. I love that I tell ya! No more commercials yiiipppeeeee!!

Can also record movies and send them to the computer from the Humax and compress them to watch on the laptop later at work, on the plane, whatever... It will even record shows similar to your viewing patterns and you can pick through them when there may not be much to watch otherwise.

The Tivo service is cheap and well worth it we think. When I can find some time to play I am going to really explore all of its capabilities. That is, if I can get the remote out of my wifes hands. :yes:

My only objection to TIVO is the loss of privacy, when the Janet Jackson "wardrobe malfunction" occurred at the Superbowl, TIVO reported within 24 hours that there were 180,000 instant replays immediately after the incident on their boxes. I realize that the video store or netflix has records of my rentals and the credit card companies have records of my purchases, but knowing what I freeze, slow frame or replay is going tooooooooo far. I have looked into other pvr type alternatives, but as someone who was formerly an ardent cable supporter and whom the cable companies have turned into an ardent hater, I have soured on all the subscription options with their attendant losses of privacy and the companies fleecing the sheep for all they can bear.

Why is it so cheap??? Because it is a marketing intelligence BONNANZA!!!!
They make the money selling information on YOU. Right now they are still operating at a LOSS!!! but they expect that to change....

OOPS I really didn't want to rant, and the capabilities of pvr with intelligence are fantastic, since I don't care to maintain a library of tapes (or disks), just time shift somewhat, i.e viewing on my terms at my convienence.

Just my $0.02 worth, and my opinion is like an *, everybody's got one. :naughty:

I have direct TV with the Tivo recorder...wouldn't want to be without it! It's the only way I can get my money's worth out of my satellite service, as often I am not at the set when my favorite shows are on, and video tapes are such a pain to work with.
The search functions are great as far as picking shows to record...no more trying to look through the TV guide. You can search by key words or title, or even actors, directors, etc. and then program in the show to record either one time, or each episode of a series.

markthefixer said:
My only objection to TIVO is the loss of privacy, They make the money selling information on you.

I have been using the 'Replay TV' service for almost 6 years now and will never give it up.. I have the panasonic PV-HS 1000 first generation unit..and only holds 30 hours at slow speed...and thats just plenty for me...

One of the differences between the TIVO and the replay TV is the replay dosnt give any info to the service ...only connects to update the guide and any software upgrades which there have been only one major one since I have had it..

Another is ..the Replay TV unit doesnt record stuff you dont want like the TIVO.. That was one of the things that turned me off about the unit when I was making my decision to buy..

The other is the program guide...TIVO shows the programming on one channel at a time ..where Replay shows many channels at a time just like the TV Guide does so you can compare 'shows vs times'...on the same page.

Once you have one you never go back....I cant watch TV without falling asleep...so I can watch in segements...and NO COMMMERCIALS!!!!!

Plus I don't miss 'Stargate SG1' anymore! :thmbsp:

Reel 2 Reel said:
Plus I don't miss 'Stargate SG1' anymore! :thmbsp:

Sigh.... SG-1... The only tv program I make any effort to see.
Thursday is a season 8 marathon on SCIFI.

The Tivo CAN record programs it thinks you would like, automatically....but you can turn off this feature (as I have).

I have Charter DVR service, & it is one of the few things I like about Charter. I'll not mention their dopey "homegrown" commercials, the way they "force" you to take shopping & "preacher" channels, the fact they're too damn high, But their DVR service is accessed thru the remote they give you, & it's not entirely intuitive how to work it-just another routine to remember...Where'd I put that Programming Guide...Yeah, I like it 'cause you can record SG-1, too...-Sandy G.

Another is ..the Replay TV unit doesnt record stuff you dont want like the TIVO.. That was one of the things that turned me off about the unit when I was making my decision to buy..
I don't let mine record for me, either.
TIVO shows the programming on one channel at a time ..where Replay shows many channels at a time just like the TV Guide does so you can compare 'shows vs times'...on the same page.
I have no idea what you mean by this, but my Tivo guide works just like the guide on my old non-Tivo machine. I have two Directv Tivos and they may be different than a regular Tivo.

I went with Tivo instead of Replay several years ago because I liked the two tuner ability that it had and Replay did not have. I now am able to record Directv in High Definition on my 4 tuner Tivo and it works like a charm. I can have two programs recording while I am watching a recorded program.

I really do not care if they have my information, I signed up as a "Nelson Family" for them a while back. I also buy most of my stuff with an Amex Card online and both the vendor and Amex have my info. It is just not a big enough issue to affect my decision.

BTW If you just bought a Tivo, you need to set it up to for the 30 second skip. :thmbsp:

I'm a TIVO junkie too. I was never a big TV watcher, there was never enough time to watch the shows that I wanted to. When my son was born we thought about recording some of his favorite shows on the VCR so we could "keep him busy" for a while. Then we thought about how many tapes we'd end up using and inserting, removing, storing, etc. I bought a TIVO series 2 and WOW!! Never looked back. The VCR is dead - no question. All of my son'e favorite shows are recorded - automatically, as are my wifes soaps, my daughters Lizzy Mcquire', and my Battlestar Gallactica and Lost episodes. The TIVO will not record the same episode twice, will find the channel, date and times the shows are on - all automatically. So cool! I never have to search for blank tapes or look thru a recorded tape to see if it's one that I want to record over, or fast forward thru the tape to find the spot to record on, etc. The guide is informative and shows all info on the current channel, or all the channels instantly. It can guess about shows of similar interest to yours that are on, it gives you previews, a' la downloaded content, of "movies in the news". A TIVO series 2 is also a media viewer. It connects to your home network and to your main computer server where you keep all your MP3 music and family photos and will let you play them back, via the TIVO, onto your big screen TV and your home stereo system - that's the best part of TIVO IMO. Now you can "TIVO 2 Go". You can download your recorded shows onto your computer and take them with you if you are going away for a few days - or you can log in to your home network from anywhere in the world and watch your recorded shows from your TIVO at home! C'mon, how freakin cool is that? Now they got 160 gig TIVO's and you can easily hack your TIVO and add a 300 gig hard drive if you wanted to.

Paranoid about having "them" know what you're watching? Who the hell cares? They don't know it's "you", as personal info is not sent, and what is it that you don't want them knowing that you're watching? It's just freakin T.V.!!!

TIVO is the shizzle mcnizzle. Instant recording and playback gratification with no tapes.

A TIVO series 2 is also a media viewer. It connects to your home network and to your main computer server where you keep all your MP3 music and family photos and will let you play them back, via the TIVO, onto your big screen TV and your home stereo system - that's the best part of TIVO IMO
Unfortunately, Directv has chosen not to add the media viewer (HMO) option to their units. It is too bad because it would simplify things if they did. I have a network DVD player for most of those features.

As it is, I am happy with what Tivo does, records shows when I am away and allows me to skip commercials when I get home.

I would not know how to act without my Tivo. I need to upgrade mine though. I have one of the very first ones out. It only records 8 hours.

The lack of privacy does concern me a little. But the government is watching even when the TV is off, so who cares that Tivo is wtching to. And as long as I have my tinfoil pyramid hat, everything will be ok. :thmbsp:

The new generation Tivo and it's media capabilities is purty dang neat. Maybe I'll drill some of you veterans about this later. When I can get some time I surely will be fooling around more with this. Well, after I build my sub woofer cabinets which I haven't even touched yet.

Don't much care if they know our viewing habits. Shoot, with as much as our government can legally and secretly pry into anyones life that they so choose now days why, having Tivo know what kind of shows that an anonymous viewer watches means absolutely nothing to me.

When I'm worng, I admit it. I did not know that although the information is sent back it is anonomous. I thought it was more like spyware.

Well kewl! We got the Tivo going on the wireless network. So I bought a 1 gig USB jump drive the other day and put a bunch of MP3's on it from my office PC. Brought it home and dumped it on the laptop. On the laptop I bring up the Tivo desktop and drop the music folder in the shared music file. Go to the TV, pull up the file, turn on the receiver and HOLY CHIT...I BE ROCKIN till the cows come home, wireless from my laptap. I don't know why this grabs me so much but it does. :banana: I can also transfer shows to my laptop that Tivo had previously recorded. Movies, whatever... What a neat phawkin toy I tell ya! :thmbsp:

I have direct TV with Tivo and I love it. As for privacy, I don't know how they all work but the Direct TV one gets programing info from the satellite, not the phone line. I don't order pay per view so I just leave the phone line unhooked. That Tivo might know everything in the world about me, but it ain't tellin anyone.

Now, as a guy who makes his living at a TV station, the "no commercial" thing is a mixed blessing...

Ed

Fast_Eddie said:
Now, as a guy who makes his living at a TV station, the "no commercial" thing is a mixed blessing...

Ed

Well one can understand the need for commercials but it has gotten absophuckinglutely out of gawd damn control. :dammit: All they do is shove more and more commercials down our throats. :mad: Used to be sitcoms had a intro theme song right? Not anymore, they axed it to fit in more commercials. Every year its worse and worse and worse. I record all the shows I want to see and then merely watch them a day late. Commercials, what's that? :yes:

Well...http://audiokarma.org/forums/newreply.php?do=newreply&noquote=1&p=468121#

Expect scrolling commericals on top of the three minute commercials. DVR's are making this neccessary. On top of that, make sure you get that 60 inch screen, because they are going to make everything smaller to fill more space with what is paying for your entertainment. As far as consumer information/statistics etc., expect it to save you money but it is a case of you accepting substitutes.

I like choice and competition, but when one company is dealing this out, they make the choices in what you are able to put up with. Take your local supermarket for expample. I want Florida's Natural, but I will buy any OJ really. Same thing with your dog, when you give it choice of eating the new dog food or not, after three days, they will choose not to starve.

Damn, you know what, it would be great to be rich, but when it comes to affording things. A lot of what is going on will be beneficial to the average person and their general enjoyment. Too bad I don't think I fit into that 68 or 95 group or however you classify the norm.

:deadhorse :deadhorse :deadhorse Cheers!

P.S. We live a charmed life here in the U.S.A.

I hear all about these DVR/PVR thingies and how they let you save programming to watch later, just like a VCR does when one reads the instructions (funny, I've never ever had a problem with recording a TV show on a VCR; all of mine came with instructions on how to pull off this stunt). My question is how do these things enable someone to save a show and then archive it permanently? I use a VCR on a daily basis, and some shows (especially on PBS) I record and then break out the tab to disable erasing the tape. Does this mean that if I want to save a program permanently I would still need a VCR?

Tom

I would take the analog output of the DVR into a nice quality video card on my PC, and then using video capture software, save it to my hard drive and burn as a DVD

Back
Top Bottom