Gone is the VCR, hello TIVO

OvenMaster said:
My question is how do these things enable someone to save a show and then archive it permanently? I use a VCR on a daily basis, and some shows (especially on PBS) I record and then break out the tab to disable erasing the tape. Tom

On a DVR/PVR the shows are recorded digitally on a hard drive inside the unit - there are no tapes. Everything you record is safe and sound permanently until you tell it to delete the show. There are no more tapes to buy, unwrap, clean heads, insert, rewind, record, pull out, remove tab, place back inside protective box, and store among countless others on your shelf. No more setting time/date/channel, on time, off time, clock, set, on a DVR - it's all done by picking the show from an on screen program guide and telling it to record just once or for the entire season - all automatically. You can also choose the recording quality, and they will all be stored in a virtual world inside your unit taking up no shelf space or be in danger of the kids and animals getting to them and ruining the tapes. One of the best parts of using a DVR to record your shows is the times when a "special announcement" or when a football games plays longer than normal, or when the Pres. kicks in for his meaningless speaches and runs into the shows time, the TIVO will know this and adjust itself to not record that stuff and only record the intended show - way cool. The best part? A TIVO is a media server. It connectes to your home computer network and will see all your music (in MP3) and your photos on your computer and will let you view them on your TV and hear your stored MP3 music thru your main system in another room! That is way cool.

"VCR....you are soooo outta here!"

The best part? A TIVO is a media server. It connectes to your home computer network and will see all your music (in MP3) and your photos on your computer and will let you view them on your TV and hear your stored MP3 music thru your main system in another room! That is way cool.
Just to avoid confusion, the Directv Tivos do not act as media servers unless they are hacked. The best part for me is the actual Tivo function of recording programs and with the Directv unit, I can record two things at the same time while watching a third program that is prerecorded. This is very handy during football season. Also, I have a thirty second skip function that allows me to miss almost every huddle in a game. However, the thing that really separates the new Directv Tivos from the regular Tivos is the HDTV recording capabilities.

I have a networked DVD player (I-O Data Linkplayer) that does everything that the media server on the regular Tivo does (and much more). However, it is not used nearly as much as the Tivo. It is a great product and I recommend it highly, though.

Back
Top Bottom