Gonna get the Dr. Dre Beats MIXR headphones to see how..

HiFiGuy528

Lots of talk, good & bad about Beats headphones. I'm gonna buy one to try. I like the good looks of the MIXR headphones. I'm gonna see how good or bad it really is compared to ones in my collection. Anyone here has a Beats headphone?

guetta-beats-mixr.jpg

I should probably google it but what is Dr. Dre's profession? Been hearing a lot about this audio entrepreneur who seems to have his ear in everything. Is he some kind of mad tubophile genius like I picture in my head? On second thought never mind. Don't want to taint my vision. Like when I was a kid and thought God dressed like Uncle Sam.

I should probably google it but what is Dr. Dre's profession? Been hearing a lot about this audio entrepreneur who seems to have his ear in everything. Is he some kind of mad tubophile genius like I picture in my head? On second thought never mind. Don't want to taint my vision. Like when I was a kid and thought God dressed like Uncle Sam.

He is a producer and rap artist. :smoke:

I listened to the on-ear and around-ear at the Apple store. The signatures were such that none of the i-device EQ settings could make them listenable. Apple EQ works well with the Bose (except QC3 which is hopeless), also with B&W P3, HK CL, Philips L1.

So the Mixr might be better, but don't bet on it.

From what little I've heard from them they seem purposefully bass-tilted to suit a certain taste. I see nothing wrong with that, but probably a bad purchase if that isn't the sound you're after. They look nice. But that was a quick audition of one model in a box store.

Dr. Dre is just a name. I mean, he's a guy. A rap artist/producer who was in NWA and then solo, and who also acts. But I doubt he's designing these things, though he might suggest what he's after to whoever is. He's like a number of pop artists...with a good marketing sense, he realizes that he can be a brand. So he's a brand and he licenses his name out. Good for him...he's found a way to make money.

The subject of Dr Dre and Beats illustrates one of the paradoxes in headphone forums. It's like having people posting about Ferraris or Bentleys in the same topic area of a car forum with Toyotas. Or maybe a better analogy would be lowriders and regular passenger cars. Beats are simply not a high fidelity headphone, and while headphones are not (yet!) segregated by price and target market in forums like cars are, there should be a division between the Beats market and hi-fi market just to get users/customers with like-minded forum members who are speaking the same language.

Hifiguy, you're a brace man.

I do look forward to unbiased, honest impressions though. Only seen a handful of those. One on head-fi and one giant celebrity headphone comparison on Inner Fidelity.

Tyll, didn't like the Solo but thought the Studio was ok at best. I hated the Studio and Solo when I auditioned it. The MIXR has a different sound signature from my very short audition at the store the other day. That short impression was what got me interested besides the good looks. I'm trying to get a discount on these so it may be a week or so before I can get it. If my Monster contact doesn't come through, I'll order it from Amazon at full retail price. :(

I will give my unbiased honest opinion on the sound, features & value. I'll put them against some leasor priced and higher priced cans too.

I have to ask, HiFi, where do you get the cash for all these headphones to review? Are you trying to build up a reputation as an audio reviewer, or are you simply an enthusiast with a decent cash flow?

Just took a closer look at that stock photo. I had thought Beats Audio and Monster had parted ways.

I'm wondering if some of the durability issues of the previous models has been addressed in this model.

Dre and Monster did go their separate ways. Beats products were removed from Monster web site and Beats has it's own site now. That's why my Monster contact may not be able to get me this headphones. I'm hoping he has NOS around the factory.

I'm not trying to build a reputation to be a reviewer. I just love everything audio and headphones listening is very enjoyable. I like sharing my thoughts on forums and YouTube. I do hope my videos and comments will help others in their buying decisions.

You probably haven't seen the Beats spam a lot here because the filters probably catch it, but ask the guys at hifiheadphones UK about the tons of Beats spam I've responded to there. It may be just the resellers and not the mfr., but that's a thin line of difference. Then there's the fact that my local Apple store has only 6 total headphones on display - two Bose, one B&W, and three Beats.

I just don't think personally that these guys need more help to sell their product or recommend it to users. You could get a new ATH M50 for £130 and I'm sure it would beat the new Beats.

It's here! I will be showing my viewers on YouTube how to identify a counterfeit Beats MIXR. A review against the others will come. Stay subscribed.

7545241914_e2e3dacf7f_b.jpg

Back
Top Bottom