Gonna have to get that attic FM antenna hooked up

toxcrusadr

Omelette au Fromage
I've been meaning to do it for awhile but just have a rabbit ears on my receiver (Pio SX-1250). Recently borrowed a Class D amp from Kurtgo (if I like it I could buy it) and it's playing havoc with FM reception especially on weak stations. Nothing but hash on my favorite jazz station 30 miles away. :rolleyes:

Newfangled contraptions, am I right? :mad: :D

Rabbit ears suck for antenna, plus I'm sure the rabbit needs them more lol.

Try a dipole antenna. Used to make my own, not sure if the cable is even available anymore.

51OhWZ3P89L._SL1000_.jpg

Noted but it was working fine before the new amp. And no, it doesn't have a wall wart, it's a 300 wpc Class D Audio SDS-470C so it needs just a tad more than a wall wart. :p

I think a dipole would just pick up the noise even better. Time to go remote, with a shielded feed line.

These rabbit ears work pretty good for local and mid-range stations. I use the ones that used to come with a new TV that would click into a socket on the back somewhere. No one seems to want em so they show up at garage sales. I cut a 3-4" cube of wood, drill a hole in the top and stick it in. Very low tech and doesn't require sticking to a wall. I do have some flat lead dipoles in a couple places. I have a lot of stereos. :)

I've been meaning to do it for awhile but just have a rabbit ears on my receiver (Pio SX-1250). Recently borrowed a Class D amp from Kurtgo (if I like it I could buy it) and it's playing havoc with FM reception especially on weak stations. Nothing but hash on my favorite jazz station 30 miles away. :rolleyes:

Newfangled contraptions, am I right? :mad: :D

Does that Class D amp have a switching power supply or linear supply? If so, some switching power supplies can throw out a lot of RFI/EMI that causes all kinds of issues. I would be interested if you can put the old receiver back in the system and see how that response.

No idea what kind of power supply, I'd have to look it up. It's very small and lightweight for the wattage, I can say that much.

I have no doubt if I shut it off the FM would improve. Let's try it.

Yep! Still some hash but it's probably the cable box which is recording at the moment and can't be turned off. If I shut off all the digital stuff the old Pioneer is pretty darn good on FM. Course the 470C is driving the woofers in a biamped system so I have no bass right now. Too cold to mess with the antenna today but I'll get to it.

I remember when electronic equipment had to be non-interfering with other equipment per FCC rules. Ah, the good old days, when rules meant something.

Back
Top Bottom