Gonna hide this here...4400 content and questions

Blue Shadow

Waiting for Vintage Gear from this century
Bose 901s ok there you go, that is why this thread is hidden here. They were on CL for a fair price and I asked about the EQ because we know they need the eq. Got there, a storage facility that the renters are wanting to reduce the number of rooms they have. They had the 901s hooked up to a cdp, timer and eq to a Marantz 4400, now I was interested. CDP would cycle but not read, don't know much more yet, it was a throw in. We chatted and they want all of it gone so I asked how much for everything or how about the receiver and the speakers, throw in the cdp, if you want. The 901 is one totl speaker I sold back then that I don't own, along with the Epicure 3.0. For what I paid, I can play em and let them go and not lose money, I hope, if they don't stay.

Once I saw the 4400 was the receiver, my interest moved to this unit as I didn't think I had the cash to cover both. We chatted for a while and then when I asked about the price of the gear, only knowing the ask on the 901s, I got a price that was only slightly higher than the cash on hand. Made the deal that emptied my wallet.

I got the speakers, the receiver and the Pioneer PD-M600 with remote. Price was very reasonable. I'm glad I had a few extra bucks with me. I'll test the speakers tomorrow, I want to play with the 4400, nice piece.

The 4400 seems to work but I need to do a lot more tests now that it is here but I have no dial lamps except the dial pointer. Still learning from the OM, SM and schematic. But is this one like the 2238B, only other Marantz receiver I have messed with, having a fuse control all the lamps? I gotta get the lamps and scope figured out before I put this unit through its paces.

Looking forward to getting the 4400 fully checked out and lit up. Glad I picked up this unit. Going to finally see what the Marantz sound is all about and enjoy that scope.

Last edited:
i been down this road , dont know about the lamps fuse on my 4400 but replacing lamps was same as the smaller marantz, I went through all the urban legends on the scope issue and usually its just not lined up , they really dont go bad often, even when you turn the scope centering knobs a tiny bit , the dot will fly by without you knowing how to look for it relating to your hand adjustments. once its found your good. Yes the 4400 is a heavy heavy beast, i love mine now, it also was not working, and i got it going with 0 new parts.

I pulled the unit off the bench after its check in. Missing one set of the pre-power jumpers because that is where he had the 901 eq hooked up. The unit seems to work just fine, needing some attention to the power supply board, alignment of the scope and maybe some other tweaks to be a nice survivor unit. This one made in 1976 8 2 I guess is a later but not late unit with production from 74 to 78 (they didn't make em in 78, the sold left over stock). Blue scope, nice enough cabinet all lights out. I guess I did ok buying it.

The 901s, Series V, opened one up and took the back grille off and the surrounds are in great shape. All these need is a very light sanding, lots of Feed 'n' Wax some serious cleaning and they will be ready for the boyz to hear next time we get together. They will be surprised.

I always liked the 4400... I've been through a couple. They resell really well. I have a 4300 now. I also like the integrated, the 1200 and the 1250, similar without tuner. Is there a quad decoder installed? After I dumped a bunch of money into a quad set up... I ended up just using them in Stereo. Good grab.

This unit came with an empty decoder pocket, darn. But I did read that the socket could be used for a loop of some kind. Might be the way to install the 901 EQ without using a tape loop on the back of the unit. Seems the decoder connector has power, 2 receiver outputs and 4 receiver inputs which makes sense for decoding a phono signal to get quad.

Glad I posted here, not a single Bose-basher has posted.

Back
Top Bottom