good 4 ohm speaker match for yamaha RX-797 2.1

hick.man

hi all. I picked up a yamaha RX-797 2.1 receiver the other day and from what I've found on it, it will run 4 ohm. from my past experience a 4 ohm setup sounds allot better. I am trying to find some floor speakers that are 4 ohm to run with this receiver. I would like to go with 10" woofers. not having much luck finding anything affordable.
any suggestions?

Impendence ratings really don't have anything to do with actual sound quality. (Well, that's not entirely true...a receiver/amp that strains to handle them can make them sound bad.)

There are amazing 8, 6, 4, etc. ohm rated speakers out there. It just depends on how the manufacturer designed them.

Also, be careful using a 4 ohm speaker pair here. Especially as some 4 ohm nominally rated speakers can and are known to dip in impedance with frequency. And Yamaha receiver and sub 4 ohm load aren't things which work great together. Be cautious.

Also, be careful using a 4 ohm speaker pair here. Especially as some 4 ohm nominally rated speakers can and are known to dip in impedance with frequency. And Yamaha receiver and sub 4 ohm load aren't things which work great together. Be cautious.
even though the amp says 4 ohm on the back and the user manual sates its 4 ohm capable? I have it hooked up to some old sony's that are 8 ohm. In my past experience going from an 8 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker (with a capable amp of course) it was a huge difference in sound and punch. so I assume the amp was putting out more power at 4 ohm or am I wrong? maybe i just had crappy 8 ohm speakers? they were from the same make and same size, just different ohms. sorry for my ignorance I'm not very savvy when it comes to electronics.

even though the amp says 4 ohm on the back and the user manual sates its 4 ohm capable? I have it hooked up to some old sony's that are 8 ohm. In my past experience going from an 8 ohm speaker to a 4 ohm speaker (with a capable amp of course) it was a huge difference in sound and punch. so I assume the amp was putting out more power at 4 ohm or am I wrong? maybe i just had crappy 8 ohm speakers? they were from the same make and same size, just different ohms. sorry for my ignorance I'm not very savvy when it comes to electronics.
Probably both, but only one actually effects the sound. Usually amps put out more wattage at 4 ohms, but unless you're really cranking it, it won't make much difference in sound quality (again, a strained amp can make things sound bad but that doesn't seem to be the case in your past experience - so there should have been no difference in sound quality coming out of the amp). Really it was just that your 4 ohm speakers sounded better than the 8 ohm speakers.

And just because it says 4 ohms, doesn't mean the amp shines with 4 ohm speakers. That's a tricky load to handle. Looking at your receiver, it would probably be fine but not stellar at handling 4 ohm loads.

Same make, size and nominal impedance does not tell the whole story. Even if the drivers were the same size, they are not necessarily the same drivers. Different sensitivity, crossover design, crossover points...tons of variables.

In any case you're basing your judgement on a single side by side test between two speakers. Sensitivity (db per watt of input) is not even consistently correlated with impedance rating amongst all speakers. For example, the mighty AR9 is a 4 ohm speaker capable of ear shattering output, but with an input sensitivity of 87 db/1W/1m. Requires massive 4-ohm capable amps. In contrast, the Klipschorn, an equally thunder-capable 8 ohm speaker, has a sensitivity of 104 db/1w/1m and is happy with a small amp. Granted these are the extremes - few home speakers go beyond these limits or even equal them. Most are in the 90s. But the point is, output and how you like the sound is related to other factors besides the impedance. Which is great for you: now you can expand your search pool. :thumbsup:

Haha, sorry to upset your apple cart! Stick around here and it will happen again and again - I speak from experience! :p

Do some reading in the speaker forum, and above all, listen to speakers you're thinking of buying, if at all possible. :thumbsup:

hi all. I picked up a yamaha RX-797 2.1 receiver the other day and from what I've found on it, it will run 4 ohm. from my past experience a 4 ohm setup sounds allot better. I am trying to find some floor speakers that are 4 ohm to run with this receiver. I would like to go with 10" woofers. not having much luck finding anything affordable.
any suggestions?

The resistance of the speakers dont really improve the sound quality. To an extent it can i guess, but to say a 4 Ohm speaker sounds better than an 8 ohm speaker, we all should start investing in 2 ohm speakers... And does that mean 16ohm speaker sound like crap?....

The resistance has nothing to do with the sound quality.. The amp can throw a stronger load depending on the Ohm handling of the speaker, more power can equal better sound, but again that is dependent on the speaker itself.

For example: My Onix, can run an 8Ohm driver at 60w, a 4Ohm at 120w. That does not mean the 4ohm speakers will sound better.

NOW, if you are asking for ideas on 4ohm speakers because your amp can throw more wattage at a 4 ohm load...

Look into

B&W DM-640's (Fantastic, fantastic speakers... blew away my JBL L-150's)

Klipsch KG2,
KG4's

ADS (most of the ADS line (810's are 4ohm)

Look into Jamo.

There are way to many suggestions that can be made.

Just make sure they sound good to you.

Kind Regards,
John

Lesser load less resistance = amp goes poof.

My A-71 will push more wattage to a 4 ohm speaker than an 8ohm. (or allow more wattage to flow to the 4ohm).

not sure about the amp going poof... Maybe if your running an amp that dose not recommend running below 8ohms...

Same make, size and nominal impedance does not tell the whole story. Even if the drivers were the same size, they are not necessarily the same drivers. Different sensitivity, crossover design, crossover points...tons of variables.

In any case you're basing your judgement on a single side by side test between two speakers. Sensitivity (db per watt of input) is not even consistently correlated with impedance rating amongst all speakers. For example, the mighty AR9 is a 4 ohm speaker capable of ear shattering output, but with an input sensitivity of 87 db/1W/1m. Requires massive 4-ohm capable amps. In contrast, the Klipschorn, an equally thunder-capable 8 ohm speaker, has a sensitivity of 104 db/1w/1m and is happy with a small amp. Granted these are the extremes - few home speakers go beyond these limits or even equal them. Most are in the 90s. But the point is, output and how you like the sound is related to other factors besides the impedance. Which is great for you: now you can expand your search pool. :thumbsup:

That post is AK at it's very finest. Also explains what is germane to this discussion very eloquently.

wow, first off I can't say how much I appreciate all he input and info from ya'll. 2nd the speaker search has ended and I picked up a set of Klipsch Reference Series RF-3 II floorstanding speakers for 175.00 in what seem to be pristine condition and All I can say is WOW they just sound freaking awesome but now has left me wanting to put way more power to themo_O so now I think I'm gonna look for a far better amp. I have started looking around but its kinda over whelming. guess we shall see. thanks again for all the input and information. if anyone wants to chime in on what they think would be a good pick or what they might be running please do.

Hey that sounds great. I would suggest some reading in the Klipsch forum, and also work on what kind of parameters you have for your ideal amp. Do you want a receiver with tuner, an integrated, or separates? New or vintage? Price range? Phono input? This will help you start narrowing it down.

Hey that sounds great. I would suggest some reading in the Klipsch forum, and also work on what kind of parameters you have for your ideal amp. Do you want a receiver with tuner, an integrated, or separates? New or vintage? Price range? Phono input? This will help you start narrowing it down.
OP has a receiver already.

wow, first off I can't say how much I appreciate all he input and info from ya'll. 2nd the speaker search has ended and I picked up a set of Klipsch Reference Series RF-3 II floorstanding speakers for 175.00 in what seem to be pristine condition and All I can say is WOW they just sound freaking awesome but now has left me wanting to put way more power to themo_O so now I think I'm gonna look for a far better amp. I have started looking around but its kinda over whelming. guess we shall see. thanks again for all the input and information. if anyone wants to chime in on what they think would be a good pick or what they might be running please do.

Bear in mind doubling the power makes only an incremental (small) increase in volume.

follow up on the amp... I picked up an NAD C 375BEE and I am in love! it just brings the Klipsch Reference Series RF-3 II's to life. I added a Sunfire SDS-12 subwoofer, a Dragonfly Red DAC for all my music files and music streaming , my Onkyo C-7030 cd player and my (yes I still use one) Yamaha T‑S500 tuner. I gotta say I could not be happier. thanks again for the advise.

Back
Top Bottom