Good amp/receiver for ADS L1230

chapps

I have a pair of ADS L1230s is very nice condition. After juggling amps, I realize this speaker needs real good power - I mean serious clean amplification. Even a good restored/adjusted HH Scott 222B (of course, it is low powered) seems to be a little muffled, and it seems to do exceptionally with my fully digital Integra DTR-80.3 (150W), which really opens up the sound.

1. Trying to stay "vintage" , In its day, what kind of amp would these monoliths have been paired with?
2. For their pedigree, what would they be so inefficient?

Thanks for taking the time to comment!

Either - a tad biased towards receiver....but either will do. And vintage if possible.

Thanks!

PS: I am just wondering what amps were in mind when these huge speakers were sold.

My favorite amp when I had a couple pair of 1230's was a 250wpc Mac mc2255. I agree they do need a bit of power to sound their best and the low powered tube amps did not cut it with them imo.

There is a Nak SR4A on Bartertown now. That would be a minimum for me as far as power. Low budget.
For my 710s, I went with 220wpc Van Alstine and their top line SS preamp. Black, with an all business look.

@zunde That is a nice amp....but is basically un-obtainable? I love Nakamichis. The prices on that thing are quite interesting!
@motorstereo That's another beast. I should have indicated that my budget is not very high....
@davidb1 That SR-4A is mine! I love Nakamichis, and I have a Nakamichi 730 replacing the SR-4A. I never really tried it with the ADS. It is actually packed - maybe I will have to unpack that ....

How would a Kenwood KR-9600 do? It is TOTL, right? And there is one on AK.

I never found my old L1530’s or my current L2030’s to be particularly inefficient at reasonable listening levels. However….at louder levels heavy bass notes can suck the life out of a smaller amp. I briefly powered my old L1530’s with a few different vintage receivers. A Pioneer SX-980 would clip on bass notes when played loud. Sansui 890DB would handle the same material without clipping but it was a little more warm and laid back. Yamaha CR-1020 also handled the same material easily enough with more detail up top and tighter bass than the Sansui.

That said, a Kenwood KR-9600 should be able to handle your L1230’s with ease. If you’re interested in separates, I’ve had great success with my restored GAS Ampzilla on both L1530’s and L2030’s. I currently have a Sonogy Black Knight mkII (175 wpc) on my L2030’s and it’s a great match. Any high current 150+ wpc amp will do the job. Just find one that suits your sonic preference and enjoy!

If you’re on a tight budget, try finding a Sony TA-n55ES power amp. I used one with my L1530’s, and it sounds quite good. I’m still wanting to upgrade to a little bit more power, but it drives them to insane levels quite nicely.

I will throw out the amp in my Avatar. If you like your Integra it is a another Onkyo (M504). Plenty of Power (165 watts), can do 4 ohms no problem and looks good doing it.
They are readily available at $500 and can often be found for much less. The one below is missing the fake wood sides, that many of them have. I am using an NAD 1020 as a pre and the combination is fantastic. I tried plugging my phone directly into the back of the amp when I first got it and thought the sound was not great. The NAD preamp (partial recap - will finish when I get time) transforms it.

38c5fd7468c42406184e4928c00731be.jpg

If watching the price, go get yourself an Adcom GFA 555,555ii, or 5500. Can not be beat for the $. yOu should be able to get into one of those starting at $350, but assume $400-$500 depending on location etc.

I'm betting the Kenny KR9600 would be a great match up for your 1230's. I've had 3 of them during my vintage journey and they never sounded bad on any speakers I used them on. My problem was the real estate required for them; especially the wood cased ones which are just plain huge.

My big Tandberg receivers do a good job with my L1230's. Pretty strong @ lower impedance for a vintage receiver, among other things. I use a bigger Tandberg component amp now that's close to 2x the power (150 WPC vs. the 80 WPC receiver) but in an average size room the TR 2080 had no problem driving them.

John

Wow! I am still digesting the input ..>>!! Much appreciated all....

Please keep the comments going, since I am getting some real good options.

I never found my old L1530’s or my current L2030’s to be particularly inefficient at reasonable listening levels. However….at louder levels heavy bass notes can suck the life out of a smaller amp. I briefly powered my old L1530’s with a few different vintage receivers. A Pioneer SX-980 would clip on bass notes when played loud. Sansui 890DB would handle the same material without clipping but it was a little more warm and laid back. Yamaha CR-1020 also handled the same material easily enough with more detail up top and tighter bass than the Sansui.

That said, a Kenwood KR-9600 should be able to handle your L1230’s with ease. If you’re interested in separates, I’ve had great success with my restored GAS Ampzilla on both L1530’s and L2030’s. I currently have a Sonogy Black Knight mkII (175 wpc) on my L2030’s and it’s a great match. Any high current 150+ wpc amp will do the job. Just find one that suits your sonic preference and enjoy!

For the amps I have tried the ADS Lxx30 series I feel they are somewhat inefficient. A little miffed by that. With my Integra I can see the potential, but I still think it is missing the right amp/receiver.

1. At high volumes, yes I can really feel the speakers. But my wife allows 2.2 secs of that ! Most receivers appear overly warm and too laid back through these speakers. Almost muffled.
2. The KR-9600 will do fine, but I need to find one that will not break my bank. I hope I can snag the one on AK.

Last edited:
If watching the price, go get yourself an Adcom GFA 555,555ii, or 5500. Can not be beat for the $. yOu should be able to get into one of those starting at $350, but assume $400-$500 depending on location etc.

Hmmm.....this does seems to be a good bang for the buck. Just looked them up. Thanks.

My big Tandberg receivers do a good job with my L1230's. Pretty strong @ lower impedance for a vintage receiver, among other things. I use a bigger Tandberg component amp now that's close to 2x the power (150 WPC vs. the 80 WPC receiver) but in an average size room the TR 2080 had no problem driving them.

John

Never heard Tandbergs. Are they similar to the old Brauns? I think I saw one on AK, but can't find it anymore.

Back
Top Bottom