good basic DAC between iMAC and amp?

albireo13

Right now I have my Apple iMAC cabled to my Marantz 2215b receiver, using it as an amp for playing iTunes, streaming internet radio, etc. I am cabling it as L/R analog signals. I want to try a DAC to see if I can get improvement in sound quality.
There is a bewildering selection of DACs out there that might work and looking for suggestions.
I am thinking that a USB DAC would work better than using a TOSLink cable connection from the MAC.

Some DACs are USB powered, which I like ... no extra power adapter to cable in! However, they seem to be the cheaper DACs (Jolida-FX, Music Streamer, etc) ... < $200. Would I get improvement by moving up the "food chain" a bit?

My budget is < $300. I want to see how well this works before considering a more expensive DAC.

A few I am considering ...
* NuForce uDAC
* Grant Fidelity TubeDAC
* LittleDot DAC
* Maverick TubeMagic D1
* Music Streamer +

Suggestions are welcome.

Thx,
Rob

I went through same process trying to decide what to do. Purchased Maverick TubeMagic D1 and very happy. It looks to be the same as Grant Fidelity TubeDAC but there is debate on that, in any case they are similiar. For the price I don't think you can go wrong with the Mav. My attitude was for $200 wasn't much of a risk. I think I made the right decision. Has been working 24/7 since I got it without any problem.

Right now I have my Apple iMAC cabled to my Marantz 2215b receiver, using it as an amp for playing iTunes, streaming internet radio, etc. I am cabling it as L/R analog signals. I want to try a DAC to see if I can get improvement in sound quality.
There is a bewildering selection of DACs out there that might work and looking for suggestions.
I am thinking that a USB DAC would work better than using a TOSLink cable connection from the MAC.

Some DACs are USB powered, which I like ... no extra power adapter to cable in! However, they seem to be the cheaper DACs (Jolida-FX, Music Streamer, etc) ... < $200. Would I get improvement by moving up the "food chain" a bit?

My budget is < $300. I want to see how well this works before considering a more expensive DAC.

A few I am considering ...
* NuForce uDAC
* Grant Fidelity TubeDAC
* LittleDot DAC
* Maverick TubeMagic D1
* Music Streamer +

Suggestions are welcome.

Thx,
Rob

Check the specs on your Mac. You may not need a USB dac. Some have an optical output combined with the headphone jack. In that case I think what you'd need is a "Toslink To Optical Mini Adapter". I won't post the link here, as it is against the rules, but they are available online for as little as a penny.

I'm sure someone else here can verify but that is the case for you it would open up quite a few other DAC options.

My older Mac G-5 has that weird optical/headphone out jack. Under the audio settings there is a choice between the two, and it sounds MUCH better using the optical setting. I'm using an older Entech dac, model 205.2

Last edited:
Mine has the combo optical/analog jack so I could go optical. Still, I've heard that USB is fine and it is a more universal connection scheme.

Mine has the combo optical/analog jack so I could go optical. Still, I've heard that USB is fine and it is a more universal connection scheme.
Some DACs take a higher bit rate through their optical inputs, which may give you more options. I have a Litte Dot on order, but I did strongly consider a v-dac. Both have USB inputs.

The TubeMagic, or TubeDAC, have my interest. Question for those who have one ....
do you have the option of SS or tube output for the DAC signal path?
I will use this only for digital playback, not as an analog pre.

Rob

do you have the option of SS or tube output for the DAC signal path?

Yes. There are 2 outputs (RCA) to select either. Go to mavaudio.com to see specs etc.

I have only used the tube output. Don't use with headphones. (PC) USB to DAC - DAC tube output to receiver.

I do have CD player to DAC via optical and tuner to DAC via analog connected but rarely listen to those sources.

Hmm, USB and optical for around $300? well, there are lots of DAc out there. Best option would be something a little older as it would be cheaper. PS audio DLIII at Avhifi (15%off, free cable) would be about 500-600. I think that one sounds pretty good, and its simple. pretty decent power supply, only 16 bit through usb though. I heard great things about W4Sounds new DAC, but that one is 999-1400.

Back
Top Bottom