Good budget phono pre?

N8Nagel

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
What's the current go to? Still the Art DJ Pre ii? I tried to search and What Hi-Fi's recommend isn't sold in the US apparently and I haven't been paying attention as it hasn't been relevant to my life until very recently.

I might stretch up to $150 or so for a better pre that would let me play with loading and/or would have variable EQ for LP/45 and 78s, if such a critter exists.

The reason that I ask is I just next leveled the spare room system (which is really the "good" system) with an Acurus DIA-100 Mk2 and while my CDP and DAC sound stellar and the tuner is very listenable the old TC-775 phono stage that I bought like 10 years ago when I got my first AVR that didn't have a phono stage seems disappointing. I doubt it is the table but would like a better phono stage to try it out. Table is Technics SL-1650 with a M91ED and EVG stylus, or I can also swap on a MA2002e.

I also have a Marantz CD-400 that currently doesn't have a role in life as my 4270 is still under the knife. But eventually I would like to have a properly operating quad system so that would just be a stopgap. Any opinions on the CD-400 used as a 2 channel phono stage?

Thanks for any opinions or advice. I'd also be open if anyone has a good vintage outboard phono stage like Luxman etc. as long as I won't end up eating ramen for the next year.

Just noticed a Hagerman Bugle III on the auction site for a C note- I'm not sure if it has switches for gain & loading, but I know my old Bugle is no slouch.

Nice. Looks like that checks all my boxes save for 78 EQ and honestly I can keep the TC-778 if I need that. Definitely watching that one.

Anyone else?

I just went & looked at that listing and it has a BIN of $179. I guess the starting offer is 100. It does have switchable loading and gain though.

Yes, but if none of you hyenas jump on it, I could possibly get it for less :) I've done this before...

It looks like it is a current product and sells for $229 without the metal shield (which I would probably need based on past experience)

$80 DIY phono preamp with adjustable imput impedance. It have noise at 91dB what I measured with osciloscope. Audiowind A-300 use same schematic topology as Bugle 2 with different Op-Amps (OPA2134 vs. LM4562) but you can change Op_Amps. Mine preamp have 96 different input impedance choices with 3 DIP switch combination. It work Great on all MM cartridges and it is wery flexible for any cartridges.

20171222-234822.jpg

Preamp-combinations.jpg

A-300-vs-Bugle-2.jpg

Also- check out http://muffsy.com. Same as the AK DIY phono pre, but with the gain and load adjustments. I was ready to get one till I ran across the Pro-ject I have now.

I just received a new “flyer” from Parts Express this week. Among the new offerings listed are two no frill phono preamps from Pyle, model numbers PP444/PP555. Under $20 each. I don’t need one but at those prices I’m tempted just for the sake of curiosity.

$80 DIY phono preamp with adjustable imput impedance. It have noise at 91dB what I measured with osciloscope. Audiowind A-300 use same schematic topology as Bugle 2 with different Op-Amps (OPA2134 vs. LM4562) but you can change Op_Amps. Mine preamp have 96 different input impedance choices with 3 DIP switch combination. It work Great on all MM cartridges and it is wery flexible for any cartridges.

20171222-234822.jpg

Preamp-combinations.jpg

A-300-vs-Bugle-2.jpg

That's interesting!
Could you post a link or pm me with more info?
I don't want to derail the thread.

that also looks interesting. Is it a kit and where do you purchase?

Audiowind A-300 and power supply (LM317 LM337 + TL431) from ebay. All other componets from my local electronic store.

Add in search line on ebay this...

Stereo MM Phono RIAA Preamplifier Module Board, OPA2134
You can find many different versions with LM833 Op-Amps but OPA2134 is way better then LM833)

LM317 LM337 + TL431 power supply
TL431 is shunt for better power suply performance and lower noise.

Last edited:
I've never quite understood the recommendations for the ART DJ Pre II. It just doesn't sound that great. A Realistic 42-2101A recapped with Nichicon caps destroys it. An incredibly transparent stage that actually scales quite well with a better systems, although sound stage width isn't fantastic (compared to my Valab LCR-1). Punches well above the asking price and still readily available.

They all need a recap though as they're quite old now.

This bloke sells fully refurbished units:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/192703291439

Last edited:
Another +1 for the Muffsy preamp. If you don't mind slinging a little solder, its a great option.

I have not soldered since high school, otherwise I'd be looking closely at this. Only thing it doesn't have is a subsonic filter and a mono switch. I like the low gain option for high output carts. I'm surprised someone isn't selling these as pre-built/plug and play.

Just picked up an Art DJ Pre ii and using it with a Yamaha v479 receiver and it sounds pretty good. Had to tape over that blue LED though, good lord.

Back
Top Bottom