good cheap 10" woofers

Rockmonton

Infected with Altecitis
hey i'm doing a refurb on a fender bassman 10, 4-10" bass amp which has a nice closed back design and was wondering what the heck you guys would reccomend for speakers? the minimum power requirement is 80 watts rms into 4 ohms, i would prefer a but higher becasue these suckers run good....... any suggestions on nice cheap 10"ers? maybe even one of you has some old alnico ype woofers arond somewhere.....

Cheap? Maybe Eminence Betas? or even Alphas? Not AlNiCo of course.

I am guessing a 10" AlNiCo hifi (e.g., console) speaker wouldn't hold up too well in that application.

There were some halfway nice CTS 10" AlNiCo's used in many home speakers, but these have a cloth or rubberized cloth roll suspension and might not be great for your application either.

I can post a pic of one of the CTS's later... I'd be happy to give you the one I have for the cost o' shipping if you're interested (PM me).

that QSL would be good but the wattage is mighty high if i have to use four of them...... the original speakers i believe were some kind of CTS ceramic speakers i guess its time to go to princess auto or that liquidation place and buy some of the car subs with like a 100 watt peak power.... maybe those'd work

they did before! it was a pain in the ass to tune but them with 4 old no-name japanese made tweeters made great for a 35$ bass cab that could take 350 watts rms.....

I wouldn't worry about power handling capability in a Bassman Ten. I'd looks for something close to what was originally in there, these are great sounding bass amps.

There is a great forum for Fender fans at www.fenderforum.com .

Car subs are about the *last* thing I'd install in any musical-instrument cabinet. Find a 10" speaker designed for electric bass applications, don't worry yourself with power handling specs, the Bassman Ten's amplifier only had a pair of 6L6 output tubes IIRC, good for 40-50 watts. Speaker power handling specs are all but meaningless and irrelevant anyway.

I love the 'growl' these things have when you dig into 'em.....

TP

Last edited:
yeah i might just leave them empty and run it into an aold ampeg 8-10" after i do the blackface mod.....

i guess its time to go to princess auto or that liquidation place and buy some of the car subs with like a 100 watt peak power.... maybe those'd work
One-note car subs will make it sound like @ss.

EchoWars.... Ex-roadie:D

Originally posted by EchoWars
One-note car subs will make it sound like @ss.

EchoWars.... Ex-roadie:D

:lmao:

Echo's remark reminds me of an amp I was glancing at in a local PA shop, yesterday. It was a Jackson tube guitar amp ("from England"... yep they TOLD you on the front!), upon which some kid had taken a black magic marker and covered up the 's' in Jackson, and the 'B' on the bass control. Yep, he had a "Jack on" amp with an "ASS" control!!
:rolleyes:

Regards,
Gordon.

yeah on this amp they probably would but you'd be suprised how well a half decent set of car subs with an ac/ poweres power amp works for sound re-enforcement in liek a pa setup..... but they only work with the right cabinet, now i know none of you believe me, but its possible!

yeah another thing that consuses me is on all the revies they say it puts out 70 watts from a pair of 6l6's is that possible?

60 is about the limit for a pair of 6L6's, Fender's Hot Rod Deville amplifiers squeeze 60 out of a pair. They're running at the limit for plate voltage though.

TP

ok... i think i've found my speakers!

four old 10" marsland suckers from a neighbor who used to play.... that should be plenty good

Eminence will probably be the way to go if you want to get a useable stage volume out of it at a reasonable price. Their musical instrument speakers tend to have high sensitivity.

Aluminum-cone drivers like Hartke uses - don't know who makes the drivers- have a really good sound for electric bass but I think it takes a lot more watts for them to keep up with the drum kit and guitar, volume-wise.

Don't dismiss car speakers out-of-hand. I made a bass-reflex cabinet with a couple of 12" Pyledrivers and electric bass sounds really round and fat through it. It would need to have tweeters added to get a good slapping sound, but that doesn't concern me.

yeah my seond choice would be eminance if i hadnt found these marslands (you may remember them from traynor amps) .... see another person thats had a ogod sound outta car subs! thats two now! i like the sound the old 80's-9's like "Pyramid" el cheapo subs give and they take a fair amound of power too

Back
Top Bottom