Good conical carts for the 1200?

Yah....

But the best one to date is the revered conical cartridge that has been used on most reviews by Stereophile.com

Don't get me wrong, there are some great benefits in sound with many different conicals, but one rises to the top which allows a person to hear allot more.

ZU / DL 103 Mk II.....and it comes in different grades if you expect better and demand the best sound quality possible....

I've got a lot of experience with the Audio Technica CN5625AL and the Shure SC35C/N35X on Technics turntables. I would go with the CN5625AL. I think the Shures have better midrange and low end, but the AT is better at tracking. And to me that makes a world of difference. Plus it has stayed at $20 for a while now, unlike the Shures that continue to rise in price. Both do a good job of reducing clicks/pops.

Honestly, if I was stuck with one cartridge for a while and it was the CN5625AL, I wouldn't mind.

OP why do you want a conical cartridge for your 1200 if its going to be for home use, I could maybe understand if you were going out DJing a conical might be practical.

OP why do you want a conical cartridge for your 1200 if its going to be for home use, I could maybe understand if you were going out DJing a conical might be practical.

Opinions may differ, but I find that the 5625AL picks up less noise on rough-ish LPs compared to my AT12Sa or Ortofon Red.

I'm just tired of swapping carts when I want to listen to old mono LPs and styrene 45s, which seems quite often.
I figured if there is a really good conical out there, I'd just use that as my main cart.
I know, that sounds lazy. But I'm not a huge audiophile guy, and I'm just hoping there was a great all around conical.

I run a Shure sc35c and couldn't be happier. I've got a few "higher end" carts but the shure always ends up back on the deck. Rich full sound, tracks like a champ and is super quiet on older less than pristine records. You lose some detail but that cart is just fun to listen to. Don't let the tracking weight scare you, i track it a 4.5g, it doesn't damage your records.

The Shure V15 Type IV with the VN45G is pretty darn good if you ask me.

I'd expect that to be quite good, but if you don't already have the cartridge at hand the outlay might be prohibitive, but definitely something to consider.

I'm just tired of swapping carts when I want to listen to old mono LPs and styrene 45s, which seems quite often.
I figured if there is a really good conical out there, I'd just use that as my main cart.
I know, that sounds lazy. But I'm not a huge audiophile guy, and I'm just hoping there was a great all around conical.

What cartridge do you already have? Maybe just a stylus for that one? I've also reached a point of much less cartridge swapping and now just swapping styli when needed, but this makes an easy swapping cartridge much more favourable, like a Shure or Pickering.

Mine in this case: Pickering V15, DAT3 and D70E needles. Pickering XV15, D6800A and DTL2S needles.

I'm just tired of swapping carts when I want to listen to old mono LPs and styrene 45s, which seems quite often. I figured if there is a really good conical out there, I'd just use that as my main cart.
I run a Shure sc35c and couldn't be happier. I've got a few "higher end" carts but the shure always ends up back on the deck. Rich full sound, tracks like a champ and is super quiet on older less than pristine records. You lose some detail but that cart is just fun to listen to. Don't let the tracking weight scare you, i track it a 4.5g, it doesn't damage your records.

I like the SC35C as well. It's a fine CARTRIDGE . It was originally supplied with a .6 mil conical, but the current production styli are .7 mil.. The JICO SS35C is a .6 mil stylus and sounds better to me than the current Shure .7 mil tip.

http://www.jico-stylus.com/product_info.php?products_id=1040

A plain ol' Denon DL-103, right out of the box, into a step-up transformer with a 1:10 ratio, sounds great on a 1200, be it a Denon DP1200 (mine), or a Sony SL-1200 (my friend's).

Great bass, body and tone, with no etch or edge - a workingman's reference if there ever was one, and cheaper than many fancy styli alone. Very forgiving of groove damage, too. Not the last word in detail, but very good, and, hey, it's a conical! I'm kind of surprised that it hasn't been mentioned (other than the Zu version) yet. My friend's (which I gave him), finally wore out, and he just bought another. The symptom of being worn out is sibilance, btw.

Back
Top Bottom