Good DVD player for CD playing?

Haha John, love the picture. Reminds me of this one I've seen around the web

Attachments

• PW3am.jpg
    PW3am.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 57
Just kidding 'round y'all. But I still can't think of a single instance that it really needs to be said (even though I've used it many times as well). I can see talking about the 'redbook standard' I suppose, but Redbook CD seems really redundant now that I've gotten bored enough to think about when I would actually need to say it. But its a free country and language can be as descriptive as any of us desire it to be...

Screenshot2011-04-15at121646PM.png

Ha! That's funny. :D The look on the guy's face is perfect.

From now on I'm always going to use the term Redbook CD just to annoy you guys, and to make it even more annoying, I'm going to type REDBOOK in caps.

Nothing beats the Joseph Ducreux picture with the archaic versions of rap lyrics that Vistance posted- I could look at those all day (and did for about an hour).

You can say REDBOOK all you want, haha. I'm just going to start saying RIAA LP :)

Here ya go.

Any chance you could provide a bit more detail on modifying the DVP-S7000? I just picked one up. I'm reasonably comfortable using a soldering iron, but otherwise pretty much clueless when it comes to electronics. Not sure I could identify the audio board, let alone an op-amp. A few photos would be very much appreciated if you have them.

Thank you.

To get to the audio board, first you remove the cover. Two screws on each side and three across the back. The audio board is held in by 2 screws on the outside and four on the inside. Once those are removed, there are 5 wires inside to unplug. Sounds more complicated than it is, but each wire is a different size and shape.

100_0416-M.jpg

I'll post this stuff over in DIY since this thread is just about player recommendations.

Nothing beats the Joseph Ducreux picture with the archaic versions of rap lyrics that Vistance posted- I could look at those all day (and did for about an hour).

You can say REDBOOK all you want, haha. I'm just going to start saying RIAA LP :)

As long as you don't say "vinyls."

Yamaha makes a DVD player that is reputed to be excellent for audio CD. I think the model # is DVD-S2700 and some places are selling them under $200. If you keep an eye out, you can get some TOTL and near TOTL DVD players from a few years back by brands like Sony, Denon, Pioneer and Marantz. Using one of these as a top-notch transport piped to an external DAC is a great combination.
I bought the Yamaha DVD-S2700 new about a year ago. It's a very solid unit. It plays DVD-Audio, SACD, and REDBOOK CD (CAPS for Mr. Lin, ha ha). The transport and DACS are excellent. The sound quality is excellent, especially with SACD and DVD-Audio. I just use the analog stereo RCA outputs into my Yamaha RX-797, a very good comination.

It's a slight upgrade from the Yamaha DVD-S1800 that is still available, but came up with a higher price on Amazon, go figure.

Jarred & Rickey

Guys,

Thanks for the responses. Rickey - the DIY thread is great, thanks!

I'm just throwing this out since I don't own one nor had I ever heard one....

I was just at a Hong Kong audio forum and looks like the Sony DVP-SR200P DVD player has developed quite a following as an inexpensive CD player. The Sony DVP-SR200P is currently going for $37.00 on Amazon.com. A blogger has the following to say about the Sony....

I know this thread is almost 2 years old, but I just picked up one of these exact models locally last night for $20. It's used, of course, but looks like new, in the original box, with the manual and remote, even came with a fresh set of batteries for the remote. Seemed like an inexpensive way to get a decent sounding CD player for my small downstairs system

And, staying on topic, once I get everything set up, I'll do a listening comparison between the Sony DVP-SR200P and my son's PS1 that I got him for Christmas (he's into vintage gaming - wonder where he got that from).

From personal experience the Yamaha DVD-S1800 is very good.

yes, it is. I am quite sure that if I were to march farther up the dedicated player food chain, I'd find something to best it, but thus far, I've not heard any player in the $1000 or less range that does, and I've listened to a few at this point(blessed to live really near two high-end dealers). The added plus of SACD playback makes this model a steal, especially since I dropped the princely sum of $125 for it a couple of years back.

I have a Toshiba DVD player for years. 96/ 190 hz etc Burr Brown dac.. etc etc Audio weenie wish list stuff. I modded the thing so much that I was running into pcb trace issues :) It sounds 'fine' pleasing me for years.
Recently bought a 2$ Thrift store portable Kloss CD player, (cheap Chinee junk) then bought a decent wall wart/smps as I tired of replacing AA batteries. Subsequently The sound improved.. So much so, that It has now suplanted my extensively modded Toshiba DVD project unit.
Had someone told me this last month I would have laughed at them.
Clearly I'm the fool here.
Live 'n Learn kids.

I just bought a Sony DVP-7000S based on the recommendations of this thread. Paid about $25 too much, but the unit looked pristine, came with the remote and even included the original box.

Could someone tell me if the DVP-7000S plays MP3 files?

Also, how would the 7000S stack up to my other CD/DVD players?
  • Sony DVP-S500D DVD/CD (no MP3 playback, optical & coax, 2 sets analog out)
  • Denon DVD-577 DVD/CD (plays MP3 & WMA, optical & coax, 1 set analog out)
  • (2) Sony DVD-SR200P DVD/CD (plays MP3, no optical, coax, 1 set analog out)
  • Magnavox CDB-650 CD (unmodded, plays burned CD media, 2 sets analog out)

Listening to my Rotel RDV-1050 DVD player and to my ears it sounds as good, if not better, than the $1500.00 "audiophile" dedicated CD player I A/Bed it against. The only thing I'd trade it for is another Rotel CD player.

The best DVD player for playing back normal CD's I've ever had is this Panasonic DVD-A360 with jog shuttle,even preferred it's sound to my Pioneer DV-868AVI,which was an Elite model.

paulb-37_zps3f1b3ac1.jpg
[/IMG]

I'm not sure how it rates but I'm currently using a Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD Player. It's solidly built and I like it.

Oppo is one I've known of, but they discontinued all their affordable DVD players (Because automatically when a new format comes out - everyone throws away all their old media format and buys the new one, right?) so I've only been able to find used ones. I've found used ones on Craigslist at least twice and the sellers never will followup past one response, so I appear to be SOL on ever getting an Oppo (I refuse to give money to a company who dumps support of the old DVD format AND raises the prices on top of it). Really finding though that any old DVD player will do a pretty good job and surprisingly be better than an old CD player for sure. The ones that offer the track list and the play time of individual tracks are obviously the best and a few I've seen have fast-forward buttons as well. In fact a late '90s DVD player might be ideal, they seem to have been built far more robust than the new ones these days.

I bought a secondhand Arcam (FMJ DV139), the original list price when new was $3500. Plays SACD and it has its own separate audio section for optimum CD playback. Picked mine up for around $700 and I can confirm that the audio quality is pretty strong.

Back
Top Bottom