Good earbuds/closedback headphones for under $80?

vinyldavid

Collectorius Giganticus
Subscriber
Good earbuds/closedback headphones for under $80?

What's good?

Gotta be something that can be driven with an iPod, comfy, lightweight, sound good, and something that I can wear all day if need be..

i have some Ultimate Ears studio fi 3's that i got for $75. they have pretty good sound, very comfortable, i forget they're in sometimes.

Stop looking and get a pair of Sennheiser PX-100 headphones

I have a pair for my work laptop and use them 4-6 hrs per day while working and I have a pair at home on my desktop PC. These are AMAZING and comfortable little headphones. Cost about $40-$50.

See this review:
http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-application/our-10-best-headphones/

I sold about 100 of these on a major auction site (honestly!!!) and got lots of great positive feedback on how good they were and most people bought them for their iPod or MP3 players. My supply ran out and I no longer can get them for $15/pair. I typically sold them for $25-$32.

AGAIN - they are great little set of headphones and BTW I have a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro headphones for my main system and they ROCK!!! :music:

These have gotta be stable for running....these are going to camp. :yes: :music:

I cannot seem to find the old thread on this, so I am doing a new one. Sorry if this has been covered and you have made your recommendations before.

David, I just dug through a couple of head-fi threads in these, and they do seem like they have a solid following. For the money, I bet they sound great.

I tend to stay away from IEMs due to ear damage being accelerated compared to on-ear cans (as previously mentioned) and comfort issues. I have small ears and IEMs always bothered them. :yes:

David, I just dug through a couple of head-fi threads in these, and they do seem like they have a solid following. For the money, I bet they sound great.

I tend to stay away from IEMs due to ear damage being accelerated compared to on-ear cans (as previously mentioned) and comfort issues. I have small ears and IEMs always bothered them. :yes:

I have large ears, and IEM's NEVER seem to fall out....

It's better than normal cans because I will TRY to blend in (although bringing a stereo and DJ equipment is kinda a standout)....

Ah, don't try to blend in! That's for boring people. I ride the Subway in Chicago and whenever there's a girl with big cans on her ears...I sit by her. Ok, creepy. I'll go away now.

or big cans of any kind, really. Ok, even creepier.

FWIW, I use AKG headphones and love them, but no, you probably couldn't run with those things on your ears. Check them out for home, though. Like having the best speakers in the world, just really really close to your head.

Ah, don't try to blend in! That's for boring people. I ride the Subway in Chicago and whenever there's a girl with big cans on her ears...I sit by her. Ok, creepy. I'll go away now.

Yea but I got to run and exercise and other stuff with these on/in.....

And that's seriously creepy.

I have Denon AH-C351 IEMs that I got at Target. Yes, Target. For $50, I was pretty happy with them. A vast improvement over stock iPod buds. :puke2: I wouldn't recommend them for running because they are the two-part cable kind, and the added weight of the connector makes them fall out of my ears a bit easier than I would like them to. A big thing you have to watch out for in IEMs is that they tend to amplify the sound made by the cord rubbing against your body for some reason, which is kind of annoying.

However, I do recommend the PX-100s. My friend has a pair, and they are very lightweight. I don't know how well they would stand up to running, but they are well under your budget of $80 (Amazon has them for $39.99 with free shipping if you don't need them urgently). Plus, they fold up and fit in their nifty included case.:thmbsp:

These survive about a year's worth of my outdoor activities and actually sound very good for $20 bucks.

What I would advise not to get is anything with a volume control, remote control, etc. in the cord. That'll last less than a day.

I tried some skull Candies smokin ear buds cause they were only 10 bucks at the local Sam Goodies. Dunno about all the fancy termanology but they sound better than anything else I've heard and are very comfy.

I'm really happy with my Skull Candy Full Metal Jacket earbuds for $50. They come with 3 different sizes of earpieces. Excellent for blocking outside noise so you may wanna be careful if running along side a road or whatever but these babies will stick in your ears and have lots (lots) of volume... be careful.

The only drawback that I've found is that a source with a decent EQ is needed to make them sound their best. Muddy and bass heavy otherwise. If EQ'd though they're great. Also the inline volume control slides easily. I just wrap a piece of scotch tape around mine to keep it in place.

Otherwise I'd recommend Sennheiser PX-200's for good sound. Less volume than the Skulls but cleaner sounding. Closed design but I don't know how comfortable they'd be while running. They're light and may move around but I'm not sure. They're also fragile.

My 2cents.................R1:music::yes:

Unclejam said:
i have been hearing good things about the Grado 60's

They are open back and will not work for running.

But thanks for the recommendation. :yes:

Not the grado 60's, but grado does make an Ipod 'compatible' headphone...

The Igrado... :)

you could check it out...

Keep them spinning,
Bert..

Back
Top Bottom