Good IN-EAR headphones? Do they Exist?

For hard use and possible loss, best bang for the buck are the JVC Marshmallows you can pick them up for $6-$15 on the bay. Real great sound, basically disposable, and great sound to top it off. these have been my workout ear buds for 2 years, and I'm still on my first set, although I'm on my second set of foams. (they give you an extra set)
Regards,
Jim

+1 on the JVC Marshmallows. They sound amazing for the price, and how can you go wrong for $12?

I use Klipsch Image X5s with my iPod Classic when out and about. They are simply beautiful. Not cheap, but the sound is superb and I hardly know I'm wearing them.

Totally recommended.

Oh, and they're pretty durable - I managed to accidentally wash them with my ipod in a pair of jeans a few months ago, and they still worked perfectly. Actually, even the ipod recovered after a few days drying out, so kudos to Apple too....

I have the more expensive Etymotic ER-4P (I believe the ER-4S were designed to be more forgiving of lower powered mp3 players and the like, while the P's where designed to be used with an amp). They sound incredible.

I do believe you have this backwards, the P stands for portable use.

Although your absolutely correct when you say they sound incredible! I have had a set for 3-4 years and I love them.

ER•4S (Stereo) earphones were designed to compensate for the high frequency emphasis in all CD recordings, in order to provide accurate sound reproduction. Performing musicians often use them as in-ear monitors because the response of the ER•4S matches the response of most typical monitor loudspeakers. The high accuracy and exceptional sound isolation of the ER•4S have made these earphones popular with musicians, recording engineers and audiophiles. ER•4S earphones can be used with a headphone amplifier when using low power portable devices.

ER•4P (Portable) earphones can be used with portable CD, MP3, DVD and other players without requiring an additional amplifier. As compared to the ER•4S, the ER•4P has 10 dB greater output at high frequencies and 13 dB greater output at low frequencies. The higher sensitivity and enhanced bass of the ER•4P have made it the most popular earphone for most uses.

The ER-4P's are in a class by themselves. They aren't cheap...but they are worth it. Reference-quality sound and the best noise-cancelling headphones on the planet, IMO. Worthless for any physical activity, though...the cord simply has to stay stationary.

For anybody who engages in airline travel and listens to music or DVD's, if you have the scratch, there is nothing better.

I use Klipsch Image X5s with my iPod Classic when out and about. They are simply beautiful. Not cheap, but the sound is superb and I hardly know I'm wearing them.

Totally recommended.

Oh, and they're pretty durable - I managed to accidentally wash them with my ipod in a pair of jeans a few months ago, and they still worked perfectly. Actually, even the ipod recovered after a few days drying out, so kudos to Apple too....

Another vote for the klipsch X5 and X10. Best for the money that I have tried are skullcandy titans.

Just got a pair of Etymotic ER4Ps. Simply breathtaking! By far the best in-ear phones I've ever heard.

I've been pretty much of the opinion that Ety's have made the best in ear phones for a long time and have yet to hear some that made me change my mind.

Go for the Etoymics. No doubt about it. I've had my ER6's for about four years now, amazing headphone.

anyone try the dr. dre monster beats "tour"?

I have.

A girl at my school won them in a contest, and was bragging how good they were.

No highs, looooose lows (and not the loose low lows, but loose buzzing 60hz lows), very crap-tastic sound....they sound worse than they look. my Sony MDR-V6's easily whipped them, and I paid $60.

Last edited:
You might want to look at this link.

http://www.linkwitzlab.com/reference_earphones.htm

Siegfried is a brilliant guy. I have a lot of respect for his methodical and careful approaches to measurement and listening.

And ...he likes the Shure E2C out of the box, no need for EQ like the Sony and ER-4s. I've had these, wonderful earphones and a good value. I just wish I wasn't so hard on them and could get more than a year out of them before I step on them or snag them on something.

And ...he likes the Shure E2C out of the box, no need for EQ like the Sony and ER-4s. I've had these, wonderful earphones and a good value. I just wish I wasn't so hard on them and could get more than a year out of them before I step on them or snag them on something.

My ER4Ps, running from a Fiio E5 via a line-out cable into my Ipod Classic make me feel like I'm floating in a warm ocean of music.

Back
Top Bottom