Good Karma 2275

A while back SoCal Sam pointed out a BIN ($189) for a Marantz 2275 with woodcase on eBay. I didn't need one but the price was good and it was relatively close so I jumped on it.

I picked it up, the woodcase was pretty ratty and not the correct WC-22. No worries, I have a mint one waiting at home. I offered the woodcase for free on AK and it went off to Johncan.

When I peeked inside I found a totally burnt and melted lamp housing. Somebody had soldered light bulbs into where the fuse lamps should've been. Ugh... :no:

I checked the AK ads and got the parts and a couple of knobs for real cheap from Nakdoc. I order all the right replacement bulbs and lamps which were on sale from Bob at Vintage Electronics.

I clean it up real good inside and out. It looks good and it's sounding great. One day I come into my office and my daughter is printing stuff. She has the 2275 on. Something is not right! Argh...the left channel is not working! :tears:

So it sat for a couple of month until I noticed that reeltorock might be interested in a 2275. So I give him the story and offer it for $175. He thinks it would be easy to fix. It's beyond me. He is interested but would be contingent on a bid he has on his dream Marantz a 2330DB. He scores the 2330DB with a woodcase for a great price. Very cool! :thmbsp:

Reeltorock kindly gives me some basic pointers to start. I start with the most obvious thing and run the pre outs to another amps main in. Both channels work...cool. Narrowing it down slowly. :yes:

Being curious and not at all technical I used jumpers to bridge the in/outs on the 2775. It works! wAHHH!?! I take the jumpers out...it still works!!!! woohooo!!! :banana:

I have no clue as to what happened. :scratch2: I still need one more button and to check everything else out. But for now I'm pretty happy. So thanks to all that touched my 2275. :thmbsp:

Carl

Attachments

• 2275.jpg
    2275.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 424
I can hazard a guess at what happened. The 2275s don't need jumpers, because there is a switch inside each socket where you would usually plug in the jumpers. A dirty or stuck switch would result in no sound output. When you plugged jacks into the pre-outs to test it, and then jumpers into both, you moved the switches, probably enough to restore connection.

You might consider opening it up and checking/cleaning those switches, just in case some oxidation or something is reducing sound quality.

Congratulatoins on getting your 2275 working again. :thmbsp: I'm listening to mine as I type this, and it sure is :music: sweet! :D

Arkay said:
I can hazard a guess at what happened. The 2275s don't need jumpers, because there is a switch inside each socket where you would usually plug in the jumpers. A dirty or stuck switch would result in no sound output. When you plugged jacks into the pre-outs to test it, and then jumpers into both, you moved the switches, probably enough to restore connection.

You might consider opening it up and checking/cleaning those switches, just in case some oxidation or something is reducing sound quality.

Congratulatoins on getting your 2275 working again. :thmbsp: I'm listening to mine as I type this, and it sure is :music: sweet! :D

I was thinking something like that might have happened. But not 100%. I will give it a more thorough cleaning in time. But for now it's making my Polk SDAs sing really well!

Thanks and good karma to you Reeltorock!

Carl

Back
Top Bottom