Good looking vintage tv set ?

SX550

late 70s and early 80s audio equipment has that look that a lot of us fell in love with but what about tv's ?

Do any of you still keep a matching vintage tv set ? watch old vhs tapes and those childhood movies ?
I have been looking for quite a while for that woodgrain/silver tv set to match my pioneer / akai setups.
Seems very hard to find here in belgium seems they all have been recycled.

RemoteLeftJavalina-small.gif

Doesn't look like much but it has sentimental value, this old Teleton portable TV me and my cousin would play our Playstation 1 and Dreamcast games on as kids at our grandparents house, Hence the stickers on it. My granddad gave it to me after our games room TV got upgraded. It's seen a lot of love and is pretty tired but I'd love to get a old Dreamcast and an RF modulator and fire up some old games again.

IMG_20181125_025131.jpg

I think the CRT is getting a little weak, pictures kinda blurry and the adjustment on the flyback doesn't help much. But even when the CRT has completely gone I'll still keep it.

I still have the very first tube TV I bought 32 years ago. It's a Mitsubishi color TV and it still works.

I think vintage TV's hold up for style or sentimental reasons only. New TV's have advanced so much in terms of picture quality.
Audio gear from the same period on the other hand can still hold it's own in terms of audio quality.

I remember thinking how good the picture looked with a VCR and a little 13 inch TV I had in college. It's whole different game now.

Older sets interest me.
RCA 621, 721.
GE "locomotive" bakelite.
Bush bakelite, somewhat similar style to GE
Dont have those, have a couple Crosely roundies and some others tho'. There's a 7 inch Motorola electrostat and a ca 1 inch Panasonic pocket tv on the 12 inch Crosely.
I do also have 21 inch Philco Predicta Holiday table set on top of a 1948 10 inch Silvertone console tv/radio.
I also had *this* set a long time ago, got it from the original owner, KDYL TV affiliate.
fox_trk12.jpg
http://www.earlytelevision.org/kdyl.html

Last edited:
I will always be a Sony Trinitron TV set fan. From my first 13" for the moon landing to the final 26" model. I couldn't afford the 43" monitor Sony built that weighed at least a ton or it seemed to me. I bought a 35" Mitsubishi, which I regretted every day. So watched the 19" Sony in the bed room. I bought a 150 Pioneer Ellite plasma, and will never go back to tubes.

Owned a few Trinitrons, liked them. I have some in the collection, an early 12" original issue example, a couple of the original 9" and a later 8" heavy built portable I bought for my parents, from their estate.
Also, one tube color set remains, an 11" GE Portacolor.

Last edited:
I will always be a Sony Trinitron TV set fan. From my first 13" for the moon landing to the final 26" model. I couldn't afford the 43" monitor Sony built that weighed at least a ton or it seemed to me. I bought a 35" Mitsubishi, which I regretted every day. So watched the 19" Sony in the bed room. I bought a 150 Pioneer Ellite plasma, and will never go back to tubes.
I have pretty much been on the same path as you. I've owned a boatload of crt sets over the past 50 years. I have had several Sony sets dating from the 80's. Also had the 35" Mits and it needed a to have the white level adjusted big time. Grays looked brownish. Thankfully I had ISF training and owned a Philips color analyzer and test pattern generator to correct that shift. Also owned a 31" Proton, which was a Panasonic in disguise. Great looking picture. The Sony's are really nice, with one exception. Their choice of red phosphors. They alway seem to have an orange shade. I still have 2 20" Sony sets. The one in the garage is a professional monitor (PVM-2030).

Like you, I bought up a Pioneer 50" Elite Kuro in '09 and it still has the best looking picture.

Of all the sets, I've kept a Sony KV25-XBR (plus a back-up for parts) and a 13" stereo version of it, model un-remembered. Other, newer pro monitors are in the office, as well as vintage tube sets like a Predicta and a Sylvania Halolite, among with some portable metal sets. I think I'm mostly rid of newer consumer sets, except for an Aiwa Trinitron with built-in VCR. I think I have a problem. Oh, and a pretty nice Funai VHS combo set, too. Yeah, problem.

I've been looking for a good condition 19" Sony Trinitron TV from 1983 to 1986, but OK up to 1988. But, with ZERO luck at this point.

That would finish off my mid 80s two-channel stereo system... Something to watch my old CED/Laser discs, Betamax and VHS tapes on!!

Set a perfectly working Samsung 32" CRT EDTV out for bulk pickup two years ago ... It sat for days while far lesser items were scooped up by the normal influx of pickup trucks full of lawn mowers and couches ...

Set a perfectly working Samsung 32" CRT EDTV out for bulk pickup two years ago ... It sat for days while far lesser items were scooped up by the normal influx of pickup trucks full of lawn mowers and couches ...
I've a Sanyo 32" on the floor in the spare bedroom that is now too heavy to move by myself. I'll need to get it to a thrift store that still takes them somehow sooner than later. Still fine for DVD, vcr, and vid games.

Best offer it up for free on craigslist to retro gamers. Around here you have to pay to recycle them. $5/10 or so.
Although, I did see people bringing sets in to Best Buy to recycle them last weekend.

RCA XL-100 .. 21" console was my first TV purchase in "77" . Bought it at dealer cost from my employer at the time. Got a whopping 5 channels OTA.
s-l1000.jpg

RCA XL-100 .. 21" console was my first TV purchase in "77" . Bought it at dealer cost from my employer at the time. Got a whopping 5 channels OTA.
s-l1000.jpg
RCA's groundbreaking all solid state color series ca 1971, all new picture tube system and yoke assembly, new line sweep technology. Totally modular assembly and service.

RCA's groundbreaking all solid state color series ca 1971, all new picture tube system and yoke assembly, new line sweep technology. Totally modular assembly and service.
They were a breeze to T-shoot and service.

They were a breeze to T-shoot and service.
Most of the problems with the modular sets came later from intermittent connections in the modular plugins and the Molex connectors. We were back to beating them to get them working, like the tube days. We had one in the day room at Ft. Jackson, I don't recall taking it apart to clean it up but may have to stabilize it.

Back
Top Bottom