1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Good morning speaker that works well with sx-1050

Discussion in 'Pioneer Audio' started by Stevescivic, Oct 11, 2018 at 11:41 PM.

1. Stevescivic

Stevescivic Active Member

I wanted to get opinions of what speakers goes well with the sx-1050. Looking at something that uses ribbon tweeters or even something like a magnepan that I could hang on the wall to save space.

Suggestions? I am a jazz/lounge/acoustic music type of guy and not so much rock and roll.

Currently running multiple sets of Energy Referemce Connosieur towers. They sounds very good but i know there is better out there.

Thanks

Please register to disable this ad.

2. r_brumett61

r_brumett61 Active Member

Well, the Magnepans are very good but might be lacking the deep bass you might want to hear in your music. If it was me NLA Advents,AR 3 series in all of its versions,KLH 5s. Keep us posted on your picks.

3. bruhl001

bruhl001 infinitybyond

Currently running multiple sets of Energy Referemce Connosieur towers. They sounds very good but i know there is better out there.

Thanks[/QUOTE]
    Not really.
    Do you really want to go on a never ending "there is better out there" journey. Chances are if you have not invested in room treatments you have not taken advantage of your current speakers.

4. Stevescivic

Hmm valid point. Thebthing that is bad with our home is the lack of space such that I can space speakers properly which I know is a contributing factor of not taking full advantage of my speakers today.

FYI - I just re-read the title of my post... wow I shouldn’t type questions on an iPhone at night! What on earth is a good morning speaker?? Lol

5. bruhl001

bruhl001 infinitybyond

take a picture and post

6. jeffpaletz

jeffpaletz AK Subscriber

One of the advantages of the SX-1050 is it's ability to provide strong deep bass. I urge you to get full range speakers to take advantage of that. I use JBL L100 speakers which are from the same time and sound great with the Pioneer receivers. The speaker you suggest is not able to reproduce bass at all. A friend of mine has a pair and he used a sub woofer with his.

7. bruhl001

bruhl001 infinitybyond

What? Could you please provide a technical explanation as to the why JBL sounds great with Pioneer. C'mon man...this is audiophiletomfoolery.

8. bruhl001

bruhl001 infinitybyond

and this issue with a subwoofer is what?

9. Stevescivic

I had a set of Pioneer HPM-100s that I sold years ago before I acquired my SX-1050. Honestly I found that speakers from the 70's especially the HPM-100's thump hard but that is about it. I personally didn't like the sound of them at all and I often wonder what all the hoopla is about with them. I much prefer the speakers I'm currently using but the quest to find better is always lingering in the back of my mind. I was looking at a set of Ascend Sierra towers that uses the RAAL tweeter. Seems like a good setup with an improved tweeter over what I have now in my Energy speakers.

10. bruhl001

bruhl001 infinitybyond

its possible the new speakers you are "upgrading" to will sound worse since the number one problem you identified is your room. I guess they could sound better but I would attempt to figure out the room issues and then decide what type of speaker would be appropriate ....satellites w/ sub, full range, direct reflected, dipole, bipole etc. Its not as fun as getting new speakers but getting your room in order is a significant part of the sound you will get from whatever speaker.

11. bruhl001

bruhl001 infinitybyond

as a side note, I believe Ian Paisley was behind the design of a lot of Mirage and Energy speakers. Might try googling him.....pretty impressive cat.

12. Bruins

Bruins Active Member

I have owned and own all brands from Ian Paisley and think they are some of the best sounding speakers for the price range.

bruhl001 likes this.
  13. rickb119

rickb119 AK Subscriber Subscriber

A little back story first:

In 2011 (after reading many, many reviews), I purchased a used set of Ascend Acoustics Sierra 1 speakers. Listened to them (off and on) for a few weeks and then boxed them up and put them in the closet. They were very good, very detailed speakers but they greatly bothered my tinnitus. Thought about selling them but just never got around to it.

Earlier this year, I was researching something and came across the Sierra 2. Come to find out they designed it so the components could be retrofitted to the Sierra 1. Due to the price, I waffled back and forth for a while but finally ended up ordering the kits. Installed them, hooked them up to my Sansui AU-919 and WOW! Detail, imagining, soundstage. It's all there. And, they don't bother my tinnitus at all. There is truly something special about that ribbon tweeter (and everything else Dave designed in to it).

Last Saturday I was fortunate to come across a package deal (at an amazing price!) that included a pair of Totem Sttaf speakers. These are very nice speakers. And, had I not experienced the Ascend's, would be very happy with them. However, doing a side by side comparison, they are not even close. The Totems do dig a little deeper in the bass but for my listening, (classical/jazz) that's not a necessity. Now that I have the Totem's in the living room, I may bring my ML Dynamo in to the office.

The Sierra's are in my office with absolutely nothing on the walls (long term remodeling), and they do just fine. If I could afford it, I'd have the Sierra 2 towers in the living room.

14. Grenadeslio

Grenadeslio Super Member

Not sure about speakers that are better in the "morning" than later in the day, and wondering why that would have any bearing on the amplifier used lol.

rajoo and bruhl001 like this.
  15. bruhl001

bruhl001 infinitybyond

What few people realize is that _______________ (insert the God/Manufacturer you worship) sprinkled imaging dust and smeared a combination of detail and transient grease on all there power supplies. This is why you get all that great synergy with ______________(insert the God/Manufacturer you worship) speakers. I wish more companies would do this.

16. avionic

avionic " Black Knights " Subscriber

Whats a " Good morning speaker "?:idea: