Good quality interconnects?

mmcgill829

I know this is a dangerous topic on any audio forum, but I am wondering if there is any consensus on a good quality, affordable interconnect cable.

I need to purchase a few of them, so affordability is key. I can't afford (or quite yet justify) spending $1000 total on interconnects at the moment.

I'll start with saying that I've been looking at avanti audio cables. theyre pretty affordable but I have no idea as to their quality.

Feel free to duke it out. I'd like to hear opinions on this, but please keep the cost limitations in mind. I can't stress this enough! It would be a waste of everyone's time to argue about $3000 interconnects.

Thanks for any info!

I hear ya, I've been cutting some of the cheaper brands and most are not even soldered. Cut them in half and you can pull the center lead right out. Seems they just put big fat jacket on junk and call it hi end.
I'll probably order some beldon cable and make my own, it is pretty easy to do.

There's a lot of speculation and misinformation out there about cables. It makes it difficult to figure out what you really need versus what advertisement and clever marketing make you really WANT. I suppose this is how they like it.

I'm not an electrical engineer, so it's hard for me to determine whether or not a lot of things are purely gimmick or actually provide some sort of sonic benefit.

Versus cheapo cables from radioshack, all I really want is good quality, reliable, cables that don't degrade the signals between components or en route to speakers. I'm very skeptical a lot of the 'options' with cables -- for example gold plated banana plugs -- are much more than bragging rights. I could be completely wrong though.

@bryblob: I've heard of blue jeans and actually have them bookmarked. Good to hear someone recommending them.

Someone mentioned Cardas to me in the past, but they are quite pricey.

Morrow Audio's entry level cable. Reasonable cost and far better sounding than the Blue Jeans.

Well,I am gonna suggest the Auvio cables at radio shack ,I just bought some to try on whim the other day ,I have all Transparent cables that total about $600 in my whole system and I switched out the ones to the CD player and they have a nive even presentation to them , I was very surprised and may buy a set for my second system.

I run only Avanti Audio cables in my main system. They are an outstanding product. Really hefty cable, still flexible though. Nice, durable sleeving. The RCA connectors fit well without putting a death grip on your input jacks. All handmade right here in the USA by an AK sponsor.

I have the Standard line cables. Made with Canare Star Quad. http://www.avantiaudio.com/Products.html I honestly would look no further than Avanti Audio. Might have to try the new Allegro line in my tube system.

I second the Auvio cables from the Shack. Around $18 for a 3 ft. interconnect. I am using several now. Boy have I gone through cables through the years.

I was really surprised to find how much I could appreciate the difference when I put a pair of Straight Wire Rhapsody S between my DAC and integrated amp. I know this is mostly preference, but I felt like it smoothed some edges in a good way.

I made my own interconnects out of Mogami 2549 cable with Nuetrik and Switchcraft connectors.
The Mogami cable ran me under $1.00 a foot, while the Nuetrik and Switchcraft connectors were less than $2 a pop.

Or.....go the easy route, and just pick up some good quality BLUE Jean Cables LC-1 interconnects.

Steve

Ditto on Avanti.

I also use Audioquest cables when the budget allows. Audioquest has a wide range of options, price-wise.

Not sure you are in the market for speaker wires as well but this is my go-to 'cheap' speaker wire:

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=1518

Granted, some people think Monster is the expensive stuff but I have used some (used) wires that were originally about $1000 a pair. The above cable won a cheap-cable shootout I did between me, myself, and I and all my various cheap wires here, including other types of Monster, some no-name stuff that looked like lamp cord, and other random speaker wires about the same price. Not sure why but the braided in-wall stuff just works well. Reminds me of Kimber, which I also use and recommend, but its more expensive.

I like Straightwire if you're going pricey for interconnects. If not, everybody seems to like Blue Jeans and Avanti. I use Straightwire, various levels of Audioquest, occasionally a Nordost silver pair, and some used quality DIY cables that I picked up over the years. I've found the differences between any of the above to be system dependent, and to also vary depending upon how they were used in a system (such as the importance of having good cables from the turntable to the phono preamp). At no time have I found the difference to be night and day, but rather a simple refinement that may or may not be a big deal to any given person.

If you live near a dedicated audio store, they often have used cables, and they can often be had at a fraction of their original cost. All of my balanced cables were bought this way, including my Straightwire Crescendo, which I think is the best.

Well,I am gonna suggest the Auvio cables at radio shack ,I just bought some to try on whim the other day ,I have all Transparent cables that total about $600 in my whole system and I switched out the ones to the CD player and they have a nive even presentation to them , I was very surprised and may buy a set for my second system.

Auvio gets some good reviews and the price is right. Think I will give them a try.

It seems like for interconnects Avanti, Blue Jeans, and Auvio are the top recommendations, in order of cost. As far as length goes, do most of you find that 1 meter is plenty long enough for interconnects in most situations? I realize it depends on how you have things set up, so I guess this is a pointless question.

Speaker cables are a little tougher. Has anyone tried Avanti or Blue Jeans' speaker cables? I've also been referred to av-outlet.com -- their Furez 12awg bi-wire cable. Any hints there?

Thanks for the input so far! It has been pretty reassuring to hear that the two interconnect companies I was looking at already (avanti & blue jeans) are generally well-liked.

+1 on the Blue Jeans Cable. They are excellent quality, simple, and no-fuss. The connectors are top-quality and well engineered. Can't go wrong for the price, either. :yes:

In terms of length, I would go with the shortest length possible between your components. Shorter cables are always better, cheaper, and more visually appealing than a long mess of cables.

I would actually disagree about going with the shortest possible length, because you limit yourself in the future by doing so. This was very frustrating for me years ago when I had a really nice pair of half meter interconnects, and the equipment had to be so close together (which in some cases can make things worse).

I recommend 1 meter at least. You don't really have to worry about length unless we're talking a very long pair (which obviously you don't need), or it's the connection between a turntable and phono preamp. In the case of the latter, I believe 8 ft. is considered the max advisable, but I've noticed some people say 6 ft. in the turntable forum.

Speaker cables are a little tougher. Has anyone tried Avanti or Blue Jeans' speaker cables? I've also been referred to av-outlet.com -- their Furez 12awg bi-wire cable. Any hints there?

I don't know about Avanti or the others, but Blue Jeans is pretty open that their speaker cables are made from either Belden or Canare cable stock (as you choose). The same thing you can buy from many different places, but they'll cut and terminate it for you, maybe even put Techflex, et al, over it for you.

In fact, Blue Jeans claims nothing proprietary, afaik, except their LC-1 cable which they openly state was developed in conjunction with and made by Belden.

I don't know about Avanti or the others, but Blue Jeans is pretty open that their speaker cables are made from either Belden or Canare cable stock (as you choose). The same thing you can buy from many different places, but they'll cut and terminate it for you, maybe even put Techflex, et al, over it for you.

In fact, Blue Jeans claims nothing proprietary, afaik, except their LC-1 cable which they openly state was developed in conjunction with and made by Belden.

In fact many of the budget cables (interconnects) are exactly the same cable with a different jacket or termination. I'll say it again, I've used and tried dozens of cables in many systems and the only one that sounds bad in every system and setting is the Blue Jeans. I still have the set. It's hard to believe such a beautifully terminated set sounds so bad but they do.

I'd say buy the Blue Jeans and the Morrow and follow their instructions. If after the trial period you don't like the Morrow you can send it back for a refund, no questions asked.

Different story for speaker cable. I like the Blue Jeans (Belden). It's not my favorite but it really does provide good value and sound.

Back
Top Bottom