Good Sansui Speakers

Glassman

Now, I am not looking to get flamed but I was discussing speakers with fellow member Brainsmasher last night and I had a question. I have the Sansui AU/TU-717 setup with an SR-929 turntable. By most accounts, respectable gear. The question I raised to Brian was whether Sansui made a speaker in the same vein as far as quality and appearance. Pioneer had their HPM-100 and HPM-900, Yamaha had the NS-1000, but was there something comparable by Sansui? People have their likes and dislikes but most of what I have seen of Sansui's late 70's speakers left much to be desired in the way of aesthetics at the very least. I seem to recall some pictures of Sansui speakers not offered in the US with cast drivers, etc but how common are they? I am pleased with the speakers I have now but if I wanted an all Sansui system, speakers are still the missing piece.

Thanks,

Jay

Jay,

i was thinking the same thing recently. With all the great gear Sansui made they had to have made at least one speaker that competed with Pioneer and Yamaha.

I'm thinking XL-900C or SPV-70.

I have HPM-100s and Sansui Sp-x9900s. I will offer it up that the Sp-x9900s are no HPM-100s. But you guys probably already knew that.

Sansui made/sold many good speakers. Some were sourced from Coral at first.

They were certainly the equal of the Yamaha and Pioneer offerings, except nothing matched the NS-1000 and nothing got the "popular" acclaim the HPM-100 did/does.

I had a pair of SP-300, and I was pleasantly surprised by the sound.

Wow, the XL-900C look quite nice. They remind me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it....:D

Please don't get me wrong, I have owned and heard the SP-2000 and SP-70. The 70's went to my father for a vintage system I built for him and I sold the 2000's. I actually preferred the sound of the 70's. I would say I loved the 2000's at first and then sort of "outgrew" them as I discovered older JBL's, the HPM-100's, and my Boston A150's.

Jay

Wow, the XL-900C look quite nice. They remind me of something but I can't quite put my finger on it....:D

I found a Japanese web site (didn't bookmark) that had info on the XL-900C. I couldn't read it but I could pick out Yamaha NS-1000. I out grew the HPM-100s and A120s.

:D

Right now the HPM-100's are holding up some boxes, the JBL L40's are restored and sitting in those boxes atop the Pioneers, and the Boston's are doing livingroom duty. I have a set of Angstrom's for the main system but a really cool looking and sounding set of Sansui's would complete the system. A search indicates someone here at AK got a set of the XL-900C for $45 a few years ago.

Jay

SP-L800 is a beautiful sounding speaker. Compete with the best of almost anything. Very rare though.

Hi,
I really love the SP-2000s.
They are fine for me and they do sound really great. As Stene mentioned, in another thread, they were Sansui's best selling speaker. They have alnico drivers. You would have to hear them to decide if they have the 'sound' for you. To me they sound perfect. Vintage Sansui at it's best! I got 2 pair, one pair has nice cabinets and sound simply wonderful! I have no idea why. I have never touched anything (L-pads or crossovers). The other pair are in mint condition, NOS, factory fresh in the box but the used pair does sounds better. I have to dioxit the L-pads, and if that doesn't work, put new caps in the crossovers. No big deal, that's normal for the age, and they stay in the closet for a later day anyway, the reserve! Anyway, to me for my needs, SP-2000s sound great! I would never have anything else in my solid Sansui system. I like em so much I got the NOS pair for a later day.

Many people have said the 3500s sound good. If you were to get 2000s don't be in a hurry and wait for a mint pair! Make sure the cabinets are "mint". They should cost no more than $140 Mint.

Last but not least, with the gear you have you might want to look into JBL 4300 series, but that's some 'serious cash'. Read up on the models and decide which ones would be good for you.

That's about all I know about Sansui speakers. I asked the same question as you years back and a former Sansui employee told me to get the SP-2000s and I did and never looked back. I am very pleased and happy with the sound.

Speakers

I second the remarks about SP 300 speakers, they are really wonderful units, I have 2 pair of the monsters.
Consider the SP 3200a, I think that's the model, I don't have them, member Klownschool had a pair, cast frame drivers and good sound, the pair I heard could have used new caps, but quite decent.
Another choice is the SP 3500, commonly available, generally inexpensive, not quite as good as the 300's but still a good solid speaker.
Casey:yes:

Sansui Sp-3200A and Sp-2700 sound really nice. I use them with my Sansui 1000A (tube amp)

If people think that they are a little bright, then I would say they definately have tons of base with the tube amp. There is enough base in these to make the floor vibrate.

I don't know if the credit would totally belong to the tube amp or not. They sounded really good with my Sansui 881 and sansui 5500 (rare receiver)

These are said to be high efficiency speakers. The horns on top give them an awsome 3-d sound.:yes:

i am so thankful to you guys for having this page on here!! lol... i couldn't find info for my xl-900 c's anywhere in english. my only question is if my 2000x has enough power for these speakers. 35w seems plenty for my old rat shack speakers(junk but sounded nice at reasonable levels) but the xl's are harder to drive..... maybe need some fix-up/set-up on my 2000x? i don't know enough to do anything besides run a meter on it, not repair. and i found a pair of 'sui sp-3200a's for $90, seem in good shape but the guy says he can't get any high-end out of them.... worth it? i can get my buddy's 3200 parts so was wondering if they're worth almost 100 clams to have to replace tweets....

I hope the moderators don't mind if I post these again. I think they are beauts! The SF-2's really are good TV speakers, and I keep the 3005's in the livingroom and cycle through my electronics- right now they are hooked up to a Realistic STA-2290. I run them quiet, but they like the power.

Attachments

• SP-3005 01.JPG
    SP-3005 01.JPG
    67.8 KB · Views: 212
  • SF-2_1.jpg
    SF-2_1.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 142
  • SP-3005 02.JPG
    SP-3005 02.JPG
    56.9 KB · Views: 66
  • SP-3--5 03.JPG
    SP-3--5 03.JPG
    57.5 KB · Views: 92
Found a pair of 70's vintage Sansui sp-X8000's under $200 in awesome shape. These are great with Rock music.

Ive got a pair of 2500's and a pair of 200's. The 2500's I have hooked up to my SX-1010 in the basement, and the 200's as the "B" set on my 1965 FISHER Futura Console. Both sound very good. The 200's ARE a bit mellower than the 2500's ( efficiency 93dBl vs 95dBl). WAF is 2 thumbs up for them so I have to keep them.

Larry

I have a pair of SP 1500s, and I fell in love with them since the first day I heard them. They are in great condition, and the cabinets have very minor scratches but that is it... all the drivers are in perfect condition. Unfortunately, they are waiting on a Fisher RS 1052 that i am getting soon.. so I'm anxious to get them going :D

Anyway, these speakers are the ones that did it for me.. If anyone complained about no bass, then thats why there is a Bass knob and a Loudness switch :D
But i personally feel that the bass is very good, as well as the mids and highs. :music:

Attachments

• Sansui SP-1500.jpg
    Sansui SP-1500.jpg
    44.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
My neighbor has two pair of 2500's that were part of his original quad system. They sound very decent IMHO.

I once put my SP-300s up for sale simply because I end up limping for 2 days every time I move them. Then I spent an afternoon with them in the living room hooked to my 3300 receiver and a Fisher MT-6225 with a Shure V15 Type III and fell in love with them all over again.

One thing I did do recently was finally clean out all the old damping (fiberglass and replaced with an equal amount of poly batting layered to the correct thickness, at least to my ears the result was a bit deeper, and a bit smoother bass.

I once put my SP-300s up for sale simply because I end up limping for 2 days every time I move them. Then I spent an afternoon with them in the living room hooked to my 3300 receiver and a Fisher MT-6225 with a Shure V15 Type III and fell in love with them all over again.

One thing I did do recently was finally clean out all the old damping (fiberglass and replaced with an equal amount of poly batting layered to the correct thickness, at least to my ears the result was a bit deeper, and a bit smoother bass.

I have 2 pair of the SP 300's, they will go in my will. Nuff said....

Back
Top Bottom