Good Sansui Speakers

Cfowler:

From what I understand...Sansui was making the AS series and at that time just started making the SP (ported) series of speakers too (1970).
I guess that AS series came after introduction of SP series as I got my first SP-100/200 1967. During 70's similar speakers ES-100/200 were manufactured by Sansui in Belgium and they sound very good
I think I know what happen. The AS were serious speakers with serious sound. But...the SP series of speakers is what the military guys wanted to buy the SP series because of the 'big ported Rock and Roll sound', rock and roll, the Vietnam War, Wham-Slam-Were Rocken!, and the Military was as 'buying them like hot cakes'. I know, I was there. They didn't want to hear 'quality sound', they wanted to hear 'SP - speaker ported!' ROCK AND ROLL!!!!!!!
Just what Sansui people told me; American's only want Power. Amps with high output and boomy speakers. They don't care so much of quality.

Hi laserdude,
The sansui spl 700 originally came with different 10" woofers. The bottom one had a large voice coil and was part number w-167. The upper one had a smaller voice coil and was part number w-168. They may sound even better if you can get the original drivers. Hope you enjoy.
Regards. Ron.

I am hopeing that I can find the original bassunits over time, yes. But for now I´m just happy I got them at 10% of the new price in 1978 (2000 Dollars) a pop! here in Denmark. :banana:

Yes they were expensive when new. I am grateful to the friend that sold me mine in 1988. I probably wouldn't have gotten them except for his wife. She hated them because they were too big.
I gave you the part numbers in the hopes that you can find them eventually. Sometimes they are only listed by the part number on some websites. I am afraid if you do find them they will be expensive, judging by the prices I have seen for other sansui drivers.
Regards. Ron.

Could anyone give me input on the sp-x9 speakers? I can't find any information or reviews anywhere. Apparently 300w handling. I know where 4 are and in mint condition/rarely used. and are up for sale....wondering how they are and if they are worth it. Any sales brochures?

Thanks!

I'm pretty impressed by some SP-1500 speakers I picked up last week. At first, I thought they were too dry, but I'm impressed how well the speaker picks up low frequencies without sounding boomy. It's really good for classical and acoustic stuff, too.

I've gotta say that I've been listening for the last three hours to my Ipod through my SP 1200's:music:...I am thoroughly in love with their sound...and of course all run through the QRX 3500....:banana::D
Now to keep my eye out for another set of Sansui's...

little late on this post but , here goes . i have 8 sansui sp-200 . they are amazing . they all need new caps at this point . it has been 39 years ago they were made . a good surround receiver with 100 wpc will get you kicked to the barn buy your better half . these are my favorites and can be bought for $100 a pair if not less .

I am extremely happy with these AS-100's best $40.00 I have spent anywhere anytime. Sorry about the quality of the photos. Beautiful Walnut cabs I love the sound of these.

AS-100s are mighty fine sounding speakers. They are just mighty fine speakers period, and very heavy. :thmbsp:

And like you say cfowler..."the best $40 I have spent anywhere anytime". No truer words spoken.

Want to rebuild your crossovers? One small cap for the tweeter. That's it.

But my 40 year old cap(s) work just fine. Wouldn't even consider changing it out. Great woofers and the tweeter's sound is outstanding and super sensitive. These tweets are simply outrageous. You can dial them in regular, or dial them up to the way beyond normal. The tweeters are a superior tweet design...period. If they could make them sound like that in 1970...why can't 'they' make them like that now? They just sound...right. A wonderful listening experience and totally enjoyable speaker system. Very natural sounding. Lifelike. Very real.

'Total sleepers', way off the radar. If people only knew.

I'd recommend: if you ever get a chance to get a pair get em...why not? At the least you may say they sound really good. At thier best you will be very suprised. And when found...the price is so inexpensive for the 100s and 200s (200s are more laid back than the 100s and 300s - so owners say). I do believe the 200s have a different tweeter design, I'm almost sure of that. The 300s are 'mission impossible' to find, nobodys sellin those. ...I wonder why...

I really don't need, or want, 'another pair of speakers' in the house but when I find the 300s in mint untouched shape...I'm buying them, regardless of price. I know those are the 'ones' for me, soundwise, the 'ones' I really wanted in the first place.

And...the grills, special woven cloth in different shades and in 3-D. They look so really fine if you like that look! They look very nice, very 1970's. A special look. If you don't like it...change em out with black cloth grills or something. Seen them in black grill cloth before, after market, a 'very sharp and nice' look, like a professional look now-a-days. They looked sharp. But I like the old orgional grills much better! :>)

I just can't say enough good things about the AS line of Sansui's speakers. Bullet proof. 40 years old and perfect. Go figure.

Good Luck!!

Last edited:
Sp3700a's I use daily are rarely mentioned. Maybe cause there foam surrounds. Maybe cause they have the upward firing tweets that many think are gimmicky. I've yet to touch them and the old foam has been fine. Note that the cabs are perfect so they have been very well taken care of. The upward firing tweets are not gimmicky but actually give a nice clarity in the highs. A couple of you may remember this pair as the ones I was bidding on last year with the repaired mid. Can't tell it's been repaired. I have been very impressed. That said there not my 300's but there great. Rarity is the only issue.

G'day Bluesky I share your enthusiasm, here in Oz Sansui speakers of any kind are rare and I have never seen the AS series come up on Ebay apart from the pair I managed to buy on a whim. Can't imagine the 200 or 300 ever being available here downunder.

Sansui must have really gone out on a limb from the look and layout of these speakers compared to anything else they produced. Maybe the success of AR just made them panic.

My wife has a boss that lives in Oz. He only makes it over here once a year or every couple. Would it be cheaper for him to pay for them as baggage? I think he'd be willing. Seems a decent guy.

As mush as I like Sansui for amps, I find Sansui and most other
Japanese speakers not up to par. The US and UK seem to
be the way to go. There were a few exceptions, but not my
cup of tea. Even the lower end JBL's didn't cut it for me.
The L100's were a good rock speaker, but weren't a very good
all rounder. Any more, I've embraced the British sound.

My wife has a boss that lives in Oz. He only makes it over here once a year or every couple. Would it be cheaper for him to pay for them as baggage? I think he'd be willing. Seems a decent guy.

I can't really say, I suppose it depends on the baggage weight limit from the airline, these are pretty heavy and then with additional packaging to avoid damage from the baggage handlers etc.

And I was always under the impression excess baggage weight is charged at First Class prices, but having a quick look at Qantas that does not seem to be the case it is pretty reasonable actually.

Good idea.

I have a pair of sp300's I'm using in my bedroom. There def too big for the room. Maybe someday we can talk more about it. It's one of those things where there not the best fit but I hate to get rid of them. Think I paid $250 for the pair a cpl years ago. Picked them up so no shipping. I know I'll never see a deal that sweet again.

I once put my SP-300s up for sale simply because I end up limping for 2 days every time I move them. Then I spent an afternoon with them in the living room hooked to my 3300 receiver and a Fisher MT-6225 with a Shure V15 Type III and fell in love with them all over again.

One thing I did do recently was finally clean out all the old damping (fiberglass and replaced with an equal amount of poly batting layered to the correct thickness, at least to my ears the result was a bit deeper, and a bit smoother bass.

That's a good idea. A good Sunday after football project. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom