Good schematic for SE EL34/KT88 amp

if you think it is ok . $15 is cheepest yet.
AES/hammond has same for 25.
looks like prob solvd.
ever thanks for help.

edit: I set up a mouser account.

Last edited:
Old thread, I know, but I don't see many JE-Labs EL34 threads and there's no need to start a new build thread.

The Kegger/Gendrano/BG KT88SEUL amp was my first tube power amp build. Since then, I've refurbished Magnavox's, Pilot PP-6BQ5 amps, DGSE-1, Decware SE84 clone and lastly a 6B4G direct coupled SE.
For me, that provided a taste of some of the best of the major topologies that were within my budget. All were very good and I could live with most of them as my only amp. I DID decide that SE fits my goals and listening style and music taste the best.

I'm moving on to home improvement projects and am not planning on building much audio for a while so I decided to sell most of my audio gear to keep one nice rig that I considered the pinnacle of my 10 year audio and DIY journey.
I enjoyed the 6B4G DC amp very much and it was the one last topology that i had never experienced. It was more expensive and complicated than the schematic led me to believe. I would say for the added cost and complexity, it wasn't worth it.
So, I sold it and since I had a parts bin that I didn't want to waste, I built one final amp (for the time-being). Taking elements from the KT88SEUL and the JE Labs EL34, what I came up with is closer to a JE Labs EL34 than the KT88SE.

I have to say that this IS a sweet sounding amp. It has fine bass, great stereo separation & a quiet black background. I don't hear any short-comings what-so-ever compared to the Fi type 6B4G DC SE amp.
The differences between mine and the JE Labs include:
0.1 Intertechnik Plus coupling caps
CLC filter with 30uF (film) 10H 200uF (lytic)
Transcendar 15watt OPT and choke
500 ohm cathode R's on the finals & preamp
No volume pot
200K plate to plate feedback

index.php

index.php

index.php
index.php

Al, I’m very happy to hear that! :beerchug:

I’ve done quite a bit of experimentation since that amp...but came full circle. It is still the best design I’ve heard. It’s a “forever amp”! I even stayed with the same asymmetrical layout. I don’t care for the symmetrical look.

I would have built exactly the same one, ( I had one 6DJ8 for a driver) but I also had a PAIR of 6SL7’s and that allows for experimenting with parallel or cathode follower wiring. This is my first parallel wiring & Ive never done cathode follower...so maybe I’ll try that. I just read that 6SL7 have better transconductance when wired parallel.

Overall, it’s basically the same as yours.

Last edited:
I'm moving on to home improvement projects and am not planning on building much audio for a while so I decided to sell most of my audio gear to keep one nice rig that I considered the pinnacle of my 10 year audio and DIY journey. ....

It is funny, I think we built the Kegger KT88 style amp at about the same time and I just recently decided that my next amp build should be one I plan to use for quite some time as some home projects need to be done.

What is the primary impedance on your output transformers?

Here's a old friend, Dave G went thru it and gets used 3 days or so per week...volume pot is now gone..View attachment 1999005 :)
I have been playing with a Fisher 440-A console pull lately. My first Fisher tube amp, after 15 years of waiting for one. It sounds excellent. Very detailed and musical, like an el84 should, but I still think the EL34SE sounds better. Single ended el34 is just fuller and has a better soundstage. I would sure like to paint mine seafoam hammertone like yours. I thought battleship gray would look vintage, but I really like the seafoam paint...even with the blue of the Edcor Xfmrs.

Back
Top Bottom