"Good Stand Mount Speaker" Opinions please $7500 or less

audiobeer

AK Subscriber
Subscriber
First I want to say yes "I Know", listen for yourself. But honestly there is a lot of speakers out there and so few dealers that carry the brands I may be interested in. So I need some advice to shorten the list. 1st of all my room is 17' by 20' and the speakers will be on the 17' wall end. They will be within 2' of the wall if not closer. Power required to push will not be an issue. I will be seated in the sweet spot about 8' - 10' away. My primary listening will be Classic Rock and acoustical music. Floor speakers are out. I own all manner of JBL vintage and none of them suit my needs although I do like their sound. I've heard the Paradigm Performance and the B&W 705s2 but not at the listening levels I may be using them at. I'm wondering what others out there project a great sound stage and have good thump and a solid midrange for voices. The room itself on the left side will have an opening to the kitchen which is 9' wide. Bottom line is I'm looking for something that the aesthetics will please my wife and the sound will please me.

Why let JBL's rule out floor standers?
The first speakers that come to mind are ADS 1590's, or 1530's, both floor standers, with the sound qualities you describe you're looking for. Also a bargain for the budget you listed.
Anything smaller on stands will most likely need a sub for the grunt you want.
Another alternative would be some Magnepaners with a sub. Their sound stage is outstanding, and with a sub, simply amazing. Don't be fooled, they can seriously rock.
Good luck with your search.
Glenn

A pair of tall slim floorstanders take up no more space than a stand mount, provide deeper bass and be less tippy. And in my opinion no speaker stand will ever look as good as a tall well finished speaker cabine, stands = ugly. In your price range there are a ton of options.

What amp ? Source ?

Why let JBL's rule out floor standers?
The first speakers that come to mind are ADS 1590's, or 1530's, both floor standers, with the sound qualities you describe you're looking for. Also a bargain for the budget you listed.
Anything smaller on stands will most likely need a sub for the grunt you want.
Another alternative would be some Magnepaners with a sub. Their sound stage is outstanding, and with a sub, simply amazing. Don't be fooled, they can seriously rock.
Good luck with your search.
Glenn

Thanks Glenn, this room has had JBL Summits, B&W 802s, JBL 4430s, ect. But my room for music has been moved down stairs. The room in question was part of the compromise in my spending the resources for the music room/ home theater downstairs. I’ve been married for over 40 years so it’s all about compromising. So I’m trying to get the best sound with a small footprint on stands so I can get a good soundstage.

A pair of tall slim floorstanders take up no more space than a stand mount, provide deeper bass and be less tippy. And in my opinion no speaker stand will ever look as good as a tall well finished speaker cabine, stands = ugly. In your price range there are a ton of options.

What amp ? Source ?
Mcintosh 2155 and Mcintosh C-52 (ordered) Sansui SR-838. Slim floor standers would probably be ok as long as I could get that raised soundstage.

I’ve been married for over 40 years so it’s all about compromising.

My wife has been a saint about my new speaker habit so I totally understand! We’ll see how excepting she is when I try to put Cornwall’s in the bedroom.

Considering your situation I assume a subwoofer is also out of the question so I would think a slim tower is going to be the best compromise. I am new to this stuff and the stands you would buy for $7k worth of speaker probably cost more than all my gear combined, but I have a room that resembles yours. It has similar square footage (a little narrower and a little longer with the speakers on the long side), has 9’ ceilings and also has the opening to the kitchen like yours. Additionally, my room characteristics won’t allow for towers of any kind, even slim ones. In experimenting with what I can find in my budget I have had to step up to an 8” driver to really fill the room. Now, my speakers aren’t even comparable to the type of speakers you are looking at so maybe a 6 inch driver would do the trick at that price. But it seems to me that mike’s suggestion may garner better results without a sub.

As I mentioned, I am new to this stuff and don’t have terribly nice gear, but I read some really nice things about the Salk Supercharged Sontowers a while back. I really like their look, although they may not be your style, they fall in the middle of your budget and are only 8”W x 10.5”D.

Good luck on you search!

JBL has some great, new speakers in their lineup. The Studio 580s are a tower, but have a relatively small foot print, not much larger then the average speaker stand. They sell for $799 each, but are on sale almost every other week for $399 each, either way, you get free shipping.

I have a pair of these and they are a very capable speaker that can handle some power.

jbl_studio_580_1.jpg

Only available in black.

https://www.jbl.com/loudspeakers/STUDIO+580.html?dwvar_STUDIO 580_color=Black-USA-Current#start=1

Here is a photo of mine:
Picture 012.jpg

Wayner

Last edited:
This will be tough without actually listening to possible candidates. Are there any audio stores in your area, or AKers that may have speakers you could listen to?

Thanks Glenn, this room has had JBL Summits, B&W 802s, JBL 4430s, ect. But my room for music has been moved down stairs. The room in question was part of the compromise in my spending the resources for the music room/ home theater downstairs. I’ve been married for over 40 years so it’s all about compromising. So I’m trying to get the best sound with a small footprint on stands so I can get a good soundstage.
The ADS 1590's have a relatively small footprint, and the height brings the tweeters and mids to ear height.
I also think these woii be excellent for your TV system, because you'll get the big bass.
I have a set of Vienna Acoustics Mozarts, much smaller than the 1590's. They sound very good, airy with e very good sound stage, but, don't have the low end compared to the larger speakers and need a sub as well.

As mentioned above, Harbeth (M30 or SHL5, for a little less $) or Joseph Audio Pulsars.

If I was in the market for a high-end stand-mounted speaker system, I'd give serious consideration to the McIntosh XR50. These speakers have the most slam and best dynamics of any small speaker I've ever heard. They do rock, jazz, and classical with an amazing blend of power, finesse, and effortlessness. Bass extension to 40 Hz is pretty darn good, too, especially for a smaller speaker.

Also high on my list would be KEF LS50's. These little speakers do some pretty amazing things. Lots have been written about them, and there's a long standing LS50 owners thread under the New Gear - Value forum.

Last edited:
ATC SCM19 might be worth an audition. They're British so I'm not sure what the dealer network is like where you are.

Harbeth
Bryston Mini T
Sonus Faber Olympica I
Leon TiSEVEN-MT

Another route would be a custom set of speakers from some place like James Loudspeaker, Leon, etc. You have a lot of options with your budget.

Back
Top Bottom