1. Time for some upgrades in server hardware and software to enhance security and take AK to the next level. Please contribute what you can to sales@audiokarma.org at PayPal.com - Thanks from the AK Team
    Dismiss Notice

Goodbye Apu, we will miss you.

Discussion in 'Movies & Television' started by tyeeslayer, Oct 26, 2018.

1. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

Please register to disable this ad.

2. restorer-john

restorer-john Addicted Member

Surely the entire show must be on borrowed time? It's had a fabulously long run.

CT_Ohio and Pio1980 like this.
  3. whyaskit

whyaskit music. Subscriber

No more Kwik-E-Mart?

4. qdrone

qdrone Music is my mistress

Wow why does this country feel they have to make everything PC,homogenized or Disney? Apu is one of my favorite characters on The Simpsons and I hope they reconsider their decision if true.

Jack Lord, Dude111, JWinTN and 3 others like this.
  5. Kosinki

Kosinki AK Subscriber Subscriber

Does it even matter? Simpsons has been bad for so long

noogies likes this.
  6. qdrone

I may be in the minority but I still enjoy The Simpsons and its characters. To each their own.

parman, grillebilly and Audioraven like this.

7. winters860

winters860 AK Subscriber Subscriber

I have a deep affection to The Simpsons. I grew up on The Simpsons. In our house, references and snippets of dialogue from the first seven-odd seasons function as an unselfconscious shorthand - a way to convey meaning and affirm a shared vocabulary*.

I think that it's okay to acknowedge that the standards for minority representation on television have changed significantly over the three decades The Simpsons has been on the air.

What might be forgiven as one more harmless caricature on a program full of them in 1989 has now accumulated 30 years worth of baggage. There have now been two generations of Americans born for whom Apu is far and away the most recognizable South Asian character on television. And for vast swaths of the US, Apu is the chief informant on Indian culture. Apu, Hank Azaria's regurgitation of a lazy, racist Peter Sellers bit, is the de facto spokesperson for four million Indian Americans.

That's pretty messed up.

If nothing else, the showrunners, particularly the younger ones, should at least treat this high profile reprsentation as some sort of responsibility, shy of having done the right thing and retiring Apu a long time ago. Instead, they've failed to acknowledge it in any meaningful way, or brought in any South Asian writers.

Walking Apu off now seems unsatisfying, like maybe the character, our friend, deserves better. Or like maybe like the racism Apu represents should be grandfathered in, like an older relative during the holidays.

And you think about how Apu is still one of the only persons of color on The Simpsons. And you think about how losing him would mean that that much less space occupied by South Asians in the US pop cultural sphere.

It sucks. Everything about it sucks. And for the last 15 years or so, The Simpsons has sucked, too.

*Very much Darmok and Jalad-style, if you take my meaning.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2018
    BassKulcha, RT Fan and EngineerNate like this.
  8. Hajidub

Hajidub Chihuahua/Pug = Chug Subscriber

The same group pressuring the removal of Apu also has issues with the micro-aggressions in your post. Society is ridiculous.

grillebilly and Beatnik like this.
  9. Hyfi

Hyfi Addicted Member

I loved when he gave all his children a Proper Zooish Upbringing

10. the skipper

the skipper Amateur Curmudgeon Subscriber

For some reason, everyone loved Apu. If nothing else, he portrayed his people in a warm, loving, positive way. I don't see that as a bad thing.

so, whose next? Nelson? He stigmatized big guys

Nelson.jpg

I hope they don't PC the soul out of everything.

qdrone and Beatnik like this.
  11. Beatnik

Beatnik What's this ?

I wonder if the pc police eat donuts ?

zebra03 and Andyman like this.

12. invaderzim

invaderzim AK Subscriber Subscriber

I'm usually the first to sigh whenever someone is offended by something like this. But nearly 25 years ago I was taking a live video training class for work and my boss kept coming into the room while it was going on. The instructor was Indian and my boss kept saying "push the talk button and ask him to say "Bart Simpson, put that down". So Apu got hardwired into people's brains pretty fast.

It would seem like there would be a more creative way to handle it, I can't think of it but that is why I don't write for TV.

I read a comment by one of the people involved with the show that was along the lines of calling it something that wasn't offensive that became offensive. It had to have been offensive to plenty back then. I'm sure the instructor of the video training I was taking wouldn't have laughed if I had followed my bosses instructions.

It is hard to deal with in a show where most of its jokes are based on the stereotypes of each character though. They'd have to add some depth to the character which, to me, seems to go against the premise of the show.

winters860 likes this.
  13. tyeeslayer

tyeeslayer Super Member

Kind of a long video 45 mins. but well said.

14. mars_volta

mars_volta Super Member

Just between you and me smashed hat.

15. qdrone

What's next? The #Metoo movement going after Quagmire on Family Guy? Whatever happened to common sense?
    Out of sight, out of mind solves nothing. Apu lived the American dream,a business owner,a parent who provided for his family in a country where he could worship his beliefs.

beat_truck, the skipper and Beatnik like this.
  16. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

I think this statement cuts to the core of the issue. I got into an argument with my dad recently after he texted me a meme that I didn't appreciate. I won't post it here, but it trivialized some very serious issues and I asked him, "Would you send that to someone you knew lived through the thing that meme is making fun of?" He answered, "No, but I didn't send it to someone who had, I sent it to you." My response was, if the person who's lived the experience that the joke is making fun of wouldn't find it funny, should any of us be laughing at it?

We all naturally find humor in things that we probably shouldn't. I've laughed at racist jokes, sexist jokes, you name it. But the fact that it's a joke doesn't mean it's not hurtful to the person on the other end of the joke, and the question I try to ask myself personally is, is do I value my own entertainment more than the feelings of another person? I grew up the nerdy teachers kid and I was the brunt of a lot of "jokes." It wasn't fun. I try to remember that experience when I choose what types of humor I ingest. Calling it a joke doesn't free us from the responsibility to do what we can not to be hurtful towards others.

Something I've learned in the past couple of years is that it's very easy to tell people who's experience we haven't lived why their experience is wrong or invalid. I've also learned that it's a quick way to build walls between ourselves and those other people that damage our ability to build bridges between those with different backgrounds and experiences.

Cheers,
    Nathan

winters860, captouch and qdrone like this.

17. FONSguy

FONSguy Super Member

People today just don't know how to shrug it off and move on. They must have not had a normal childhood where picking on and being picked on was something that happened. I see the problem of being continuously offended as a maturity issue.

Shominy likes this.
  18. EngineerNate

EngineerNate AK Subscriber Subscriber

Not taking responsibility for the fact that the things we do and say affect other people is also a behavior we should grow out of when we leave childhood. :)

spark1 likes this.
  19. quiet

quiet AK Subscriber Subscriber

Learning it at the exit of childhood is way late.

winters860 and EngineerNate like this.
  20. qdrone

If Matt Groening put up a website to let people decide if Apu stays or goes I bet dollars to doughnuts(hmmmm doughnuts) it would be 10 to 1 he stays.