Goodbye, Tidal. Welcome back, Deezer.

Is it ultimately the labels or the artists who decide that enough is enough and pull the rights to their material when the number of streams and or the the payments per drop to an unacceptable level?
Its whoever owns the copyright. With on-demand services, of course. The rights holder negotiate the terms of the contract.

So in MOST cases would you say it's the label then?
I would say that in ALL cases, the copyright owner holds all the cards. They're not compelled or forced to accept any compensation they deem unworthy.

Are most artists signed to a label? Maybe/probably so.

I would say that in ALL cases, the copyright owner holds all the cards. They're not compelled or forced to accept any compensation they deem unworthy.

Are most artists signed to a label? Maybe/probably so.
So for clarity, an artist, once signed with a label has no actual say in the compensation level from playtime on Tidal, and also they wouldn't have any ability to pull their music from a streaming company, correct?

Trying to get a clue as to why music is disappearing from Tidal (as the OP says) and who is actually pulling it.

So for clarity, an artist, once signed with a label has no actual say in the compensation level from playtime on Tidal, and also they wouldn't have any ability to pull their music from a streaming company, correct?

Trying to get a clue as to why music is disappearing from Tidal (as the OP says) and who is actually pulling it.
It depends. Just because an artist is signed with a label doesn't necessarily/always mean they have signed away all of their rights to the music. For a familiar instance, Ray Charles broke the "standard deal" years ago when he retained all publishing rights to his music. While it's still rare for new artists/bands, it's all about the deal the artist signs with their label. For non-signed artists, it's about the deal they cut with a distributor like TuneCore, DistroKid, CD Baby, etc..

Music can disappear from a streaming service for several reasons. A few include....
1. The rights holder, be it the label or the artist, can withhold their work from from on-demand streaming services.
2. Contracts with streaming outfits typically have an expiration date (typically 1-3 years). Once expired the streaming service may pull the music to limit liability until a new agreement is in place.
3. Mistakes get made. Agreements thought to be in place never were and ergo, cease and desists ensue.

I believe ECM initially did not want their music on streaming services but threw up their hands in frustration and signed a deal with several streaming companies (including Tidal.)

Too many albums in my favorites disappearing from the service (4 in the past 3 weeks),
Just a footnote here...

With all of my Tidal problems over the past few weeks, I noticed that albums I could not find before were still there, but I had to dig to find them. I ended up having to do an album title search or even a song title search (on some uniquely worded title) in order to find the album. In fact, one I had found in mid August had apparently "disappeared" as of last week but, it was still there, just not turning up in the search.

With their dropouts now afflicting playback on everything I own (computers, smartphones), I'm probably going to see if Deezer has a trial. I've only used Tidal on free trials so far. I'm waiting for Qobuz to work things out so we can use it here in the US.

Just a footnote here...

With all of my Tidal problems over the past few weeks, I noticed that albums I could not find before were still there, but I had to dig to find them. I ended up having to do an album title search or even a song title search (on some uniquely worded title) in order to find the album. In fact, one I had found in mid August had apparently "disappeared" as of last week but, it was still there, just not turning up in the search.

With their dropouts now afflicting playback on everything I own (computers, smartphones), I'm probably going to see if Deezer has a trial. I've only used Tidal on free trials so far. I'm waiting for Qobuz to work things out so we can use it here in the US.

I had a few titles "disappear" as well, but found them by searching again. Odd, and slightly annoying.

FWIW, I never had Tidal drop out issues. Maybe it's IP related?

Eric

Just a footnote here...

Strange about the dropouts. I have been on vacation for the last couple of weeks and have been using TIDAL on both my phone (WiFi and Celular) and laptop and have not noticed any dropouts. Are you using their AP or just accessing tidal.com.

As for their search engines, they suck. Looked for the new JD Allen ~ Love Stone recording every which way and only found it after entering the name of one of his old recordings and then worked backward to find the new one.

I'm on vacation also--out west, actually. Gone for a few weeks. I may even come back. (A small part of the trip is checking the job and housing market. ;) )

Tidal drops out for me regardless of whether I use the app or the browser, and on any device, regardless of quality setting (HiFi is almost unusable; High and Normal play a little better but still have dropouts if not flat out gaps of a minute or two). I gave up and either stream Pandora (flawless, as always) or borrow the USB thumb drive from the car which has some high-res on it. I have a little portable WiFi router that also acts as a media server--that connects to the hotel WiFi and my devices all connect to that vs. directly to the hotel's system. Anyway, the dropouts are just as bad at home. I can stream a lot higher bitrates at home from other sources and get no dropouts, even if I use WiFi. I didn't have time to set up the VPN so I could tunnel into my server at home and stream that way.

Go to deezer.com and you'll see info about their 30-day free trial.
Definitely. :thumbsup: At least I can compare. 30 days would work, since I only really need it for a few more weeks while I'm on the road. I'll give it a try once I get to Utah this evening.

fwiw, my own experience with dropouts via my home wifi to Bluesound Node 2 led me to run 75' of cat 7 from my router to the Node. Haven't had a drop since. But I travel quite a bit for work. Streaming on my MacBook last night at Marriott on their "enhanced speed" wifi, I was getting hit with dropouts. Very frustrating.......

I think I'll follow Rich's lead.
If been having issues with Tidal for a while.
Seems like they have an update every few weeks.
Still sucks.
Also i find just "My artists page jitters.
All the other pages are rock steady.
Maybe give up streaming altogether .
Probably cheaper though not quite as convenient.
You do tend to get lazy when you stream .
Also if somebody says ,"have you heard _ ?"
Its instantly there.
Probably fits in the 21st problem thread.

@Wildcat

Crazy about the dropouts. Listened to two albums on Tidal on the iPhone today and just listened to one on ROON. but streamed from TIDAL, and not one dropout.

I am having next months SMAC meet, so I assume my dropout issues will start when the first guy shows up.

I do like the convenience of streaming when I am traveling (so I don't have to juggle thousands of music files between thumb drives or SD cards), and also use it to sample music I do not yet own. But, I could live without it, sure. At home, I really don't use it much. I just get a free trial for a few months when I need it. I tend to use one of my curated Pandora stations or one of my favorite TuneIn Radio stations when I'm streaming at home.

I am looking forward to Qobuz so I can see how well their high-res streaming works. I've got plenty of inbound bandwidth, and gig Ethernet right at the audio rack.

I am having next months SMAC meet, so I assume my dropout issues will start when the first guy shows up.
Naturally! :D I'll have to make a trip out your way one of these days. Timing with this trip means I can't guarantee I could make it to the SMAC meet. But I do want to check out how the PS DAC works. I paid them a visit but they just moved, and they are only roughing in their new listening rooms at the moment.

Just a lowly Spotify user here. I've got about 300 vinyl records, around 300 CD's, and Spotify. I listen to 90% Spotify! Some Youtube. Vinyl on Sunday mornings, maybe one or two other throughout the week. Just so much new music out there. Without Spotify, I'd be listening to a lot of NPR music, I think (which I still do, some). I'd use my old tube tuner if I pulled in more stations here in the middle of nowhere. Before Spotify, I used to download a bunch of music. I can't afford to buy too much new vinyl. I average less than one record per month purchased. If I can find good condition used vinyl for cheap ($5 or less per title) I'm all over that!

Been meaning to check out Tidal, etc...supposedly higher quality services...to see what the fuss is about. Spotify sounds pretty darn good to me though, and is so cheap at $4.99 per month for both Spotify AND Hulu (student discount/promotion).

People can do what they want for whatever reason, though cd’s are cheap and so is an Onkyo C-7030. Better sound quality and cheaper in the long run....

Been meaning to check out Tidal, etc...supposedly higher quality services...to see what the fuss is about. Spotify sounds pretty darn good to me though, and is so cheap at $4.99 per month for both Spotify AND Hulu (student discount/promotion).
Deezer has a "lossless" option as well, and Qobuz is very close to launching in the US, which will offer CD-resolution streaming as well as a Hi-Res option. They have already handed out accounts to the audiophile industry members so they can begin testing and getting used to how the service works, and supposedly they were featured at RMAF this past weekend. (Paul at PS Audio commented in one of his posts that he found Qobuz sounded better than Tidal on the lossless files...and is talking through reasons why that may be.)

I'm done with Tidal, and I'm hoping with Qobuz on the horizon, it will put one more much-needed nail into the coffin of MQA. Deezer has worked well in my travels the past couple of weeks, provided the hotels have suitable WiFi. Tidal just sits there lamely and streams whenever it feels like it.

Back
Top Bottom