Goodmans any good?

Infinite Mind

I've been curious about full range speakers for tube for a long while, but I was wondering if anyone knows if these Goodmans are any good? I've read about the Axiom 80s about being used in lots of DIY projects, but can't find any on the 300 model. It's at $19.50 so it's worth a shot at a 2005 year project.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=50597&item=5737337806&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Also, how do they compare to the newer drivers such as Fostex or Lowthers? Has technology changed much for those full range speakers?

I.M.

I like the old efficient alnico magnets better than new stuff but these speaks will need a tweeter as I doubt they will go to 10Khz just from looking at them. There will be higher frequency from the voice coil and the wizzer cone is made to disperce that. Since these are listed as bass units in the right cabinet you might get a good strong 35Hz so you would want to tune it for the bass. If they sound good on their own you can run them free and just use a cap for a 6 db high pass to add a tweeter to take it up to 20Khz, the trick being to find tweeters that are as efficient (around 97,98 db SPL), or close to, the Goodmans. These are good vintage speakers and were made for tubes which perform better with high impedence loads, thus the 15 ohms.

Yep. An AlNiCo's field focus is different from ceramics or ferrites. So, even if the same cone, suspension and voice coil are used, the results will be different. The companies in recent years claim that alnico is too expensive to use and now charge a premium for the few drivers that have them. Funny, when I was growing up they charged more for the ceramics! :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom